Motocamp Cooking

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dwtwp, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    @nickguzzi described the European practices. The USDA requires eggs to be washed. Their assumption is that all flocks are infected with salmonella so salmonella will be on the outside of enough eggs to justify washing. Washing eggs, however, removes the protective membrane that's on the shell, so washed eggs should be refrigerated. The same goes for eggs removed from their shells.

In the '60s and '70s, I camped with whole eggs and eggs in a jar for the morning after the first night. That was also back when eating raw eggs from the supermarket was considered safe. These days it seems there are much easier and safer ways to have breakfast.
    WDG likes this.
  2. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somehow, refrigerated eggs are harder for me to do an egg liason. Mayonnaise and hollandaise are much easier with eggs that have never been chilled, even when allowed to come up slowly to room temperature.
    IME. YMMV.

Not having to chill the eggs means tiny shops in out of the way places can have some eggs for sale, not using up expensive cooled chiller space.

When I went through Turkey 50 years ago, out in the boonies you could only get hard boiled eggs. No idea if that is still the case.
    H-B eggs are pretty durable and versatile. Not to mention a great source of protein.
  3. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Someone above suggested a Nalgene bottle. I like to use a vacuum bottle (Thermos), its insulating properties will help keep the eggs fresh longer.
  4. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    I don't like to cook anything other than boiled water when moto-camping. My space is limited and I like to keep my ruck as light as possible. Also, I don't like to pack all the extra stuff needed to prepare and clean up after a real cooked meal. I mostly try and find food when I stop for gas, but here are some tricks for times I know food is scarce.

Instant coffee - I think the Starbuck's Via is about as small and as light as it gets for coffee. Add the coffee to the cup before adding hot water. If you try and add the packet to a steaming cup of water, the steam from the water makes the coffee clump up in the packet.
    Trailmix - I mix beef jerky, salted almonds, dried fruits, and some sort of gummy-bear. Protein, fats, carbs and salts. This is what I eat for most breakfasts and snacks.
    Dehydrated meals - I usually pack a couple of these on every ride. I prefer Wise, but Mountain house has some meals that aren't too bad. I clean the Mylar bags and save them for later. I can remove a meal from its packaging and put it in a zip-lock bag, then just re-use the same mylar bag to rehydrate and heat the meal. Save a little weight, but saves a lot of space. All the salt in dehydrated meals is helpful if I have been sweating a lot that day.
    MREs - if I have space, I will throw in an MRE. They do not require a stove to heat up. I don't think they taste as good as a Mountain House type meal, but each meal offers a little more variety than a single dehydrated meal - they usually come with some chocolate, coffee, sugar, salt, matches, dessert and a drink mix. I think if you were to compare calories/oz of MREs vs. dehydrated meals and a stove, the dehydrated meals would offer more calories/oz of gear, especially the more days one is out...MREs are pretty heavy and generate a lot more trash that needs to be packed out.
    Tuna packets and string cheese - lots of flavors of tuna and cheeses. I dump the tuna and cheese into a tortilla. Good protein in the tuna/cheese and the tortilla is full of fats and carbs. Tortillas pack well and won't spoil quickly.
    Vacuum sealer - I take leftover food at home, vacuum seal it, then freeze it. I put the frozen meals into my ruck before I leave the house. When I want to heat it up, I re-purpose the mylar bags, add boiling water to the bag, add the vacuum-sealed meal, seal it and wait about 10 minutes and it's piping hot. This process adds weight as the food is not dehydrated, but it's nice to have a real meal at camp. Once hot, I just cut open the vacuum bag and pour the contents into a tortilla. One needs to be careful with this process as some bacteria can grow in food even if is vacuum-sealed. I use this method for the first night, maybe a second, but not beyond that. Alternatively, one could make a variety of uncooked meals at home, vacuum-seal them at home, then just pour the contents into whatever cooking vessel you use at camp. All the spices, herbs, and even the cooking oil could be added to the bag before sealing it, saving space on things needed to prepare the meal. Important to keep the raw meats separate from raw veggies and starches. Again, I don't think this method would be good for multiple days due to bacterial growth; although the cooking process will kill the bacteria, some bacteria, while alive, will produce toxins that are not removed by the cooking process.
    Processed meats - things like Spam and sausages will be safe to eat, even if not stored in a fridge, for many days if the package is not opened.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  5. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    A trick I learned in India, they didn't have dishsoap where I was. They used a spoonful of ash (camel shit was the only fuel, but sterile after combustion) and a few drops of water to scour and neutralise the grease. Rinse, no soap or effort required.
    If like me you can't set a fire due to wild fire restrictions, a small scoop of dirt does the job almost as well.

But I grew up when a cut or graze was licked and a leaf held over to stop the bleeding.
  6. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are actually tasty. Way better than Mt House. I like to catch a meal when going through a town but these are great for if you can’t or are just having too much fun to find civilization.
    9426607A-412E-43BC-8800-51D5CC068E0B.jpeg
  7. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RJAMT likes this.
  8. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. Maybe boil a shot of water to steam clean before next cook.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  9. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no need, ash, even from camel or donkey shit will be sterile fresh from a fire.
    I also enjoy Valencay goat's cheese with cinders. I am probably immune, in fact I find the cheese settles any bug I may have from eating mussels or andouillette (intestine sausage).
  10. goosecreek

goosecreek A day late and a dollar short. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anything I can foil-pack. I try to buy local as I go if possible.
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: