Motoflyfishing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by doorman, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Longrodokie

Longrodokie Prepared Chris

Oddometer:
    Strap your waders and boots to the outside of your duffel. You will have to when they are wet anyway. Leaves more room in your luggage for other things.
    dsilver1007 and Halen like this.
  2. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    That makes sense, thank you for the suggestion.
  3. skipn

skipn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2005 I was on my first tour on a Yamaha FJR1300. Several of us stayed the night in Chama, NM and one guy, a cop from California pulled out his rod and caught this in the Chama River right behind the motel. No a flyrod, but at least it's a trout and he was on a bike.

IMG_0984.jpg
  4. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    Nice! I am actually working on a trip to New Mexico in early May to hit the Chama River for some fishing. Cool seeing your shot.
    wmfleet2 likes this.
  5. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been able to fly fish as much lately because I have been working on my tt500 but was able to take a couple of minutes this past week to go to my local river close by. Spent the time trying out a new fly rod and testing the new shock for my fz1. I've seen other spin fishermen down at "my spot" with hardly any luck but I was able to produce some decent fish off of dry flies. I tied the flies before I left (They are ugly, I am aware) and hooked up with some decent fish. The picture below was the best of the day caught off my Michaels Department store sponsored elk hair caddis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    K7TNT, 1911fan, davidp14 and 9 others like this.
  6. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper

Oddometer:
    Getting the bike and gear ready to head up to Poverty Point State Park and Reservoir Tuesday to do a little fly fishing and also visit the Poverty Point Indian Mounds.
    I'll be camping at the park and mainly fishing from the bank. I bough a Redington Crosswater combo last year that would be small and easy to tie down on the bike.
    If I do any good I'll post some photos.
    flylink, Halen and dammitdave like this.
  7. dfinn

dfinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of our high mountain streams are starting to melt out. Did around 150 miles yesterday to check in on some.

[​IMG]

No fish pics though, missed a few on the streamer but no solid hookups.
    K7TNT, flylink, wmfleet2 and 8 others like this.
  8. McRib

McRib The inmate formally known as Gordon Lightfoot! Supporter

Oddometer:

Hit me up when you get some dates nailed down. There's some great fishing in NM. I'm new to Fly fishing, and prefer the smaller creeks and pickin' pockets, but I might be able to point you to a place or two.

Are you staying in hotels or camping?

Jeff
    wmfleet2, dsilver1007 and TigerTrout like this.
  9. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper

Oddometer:
    Made the trip up to Poverty Point State Park and Reservoir but it was a bust. The water in the reservoir was chocolate brown due to the wind and front that came through last weekend. The reservoir is know for it's Crappie or as it is call in Louisiana - Sac-a-lait. I did try my luck but like I said water was just too dirty for fly fishing. There were some people fishing using shiners that were catching a few every now and then but they said it real slow due to the water conditions.
    Oh well a nice ride and I got to see the Poverty Point Indian Mounds, something I've wanted to see for a long time. Guess I'll have to seek out another place to ride to and try the fishing out.

My campsite at the state park.
    IMG_1705.JPG

The muddy reservoir
    IMG_1722.JPG
    t1hybrid, wmfleet2, flylink and 2 others like this.
  10. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that looks like poor fishing. There's a big lake about an hour from me that looks like that. I threw all kinds of flies at it, wet/dry/big/little, with no takers.
    Last couple of days here have been mid-60s and clear, so hopefully spring is sprung.
    Zapgarou likes this.
  11. motofshr

motofshr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, thought I'd relate a good experience I had with the TFO fly rod "no fault warranty"...
    I managed to mangled my four piece six weight by pretty much falling on it shuffling down a steep incline ...
    wish I had it on video.....I knew I should have broken the rod down.....but trout fever had a grip on me,
    after I got control of my all too quick decent the only intact part was the butt section.
    Made the call to TFO and I'm relieved to report that replacing the rod under the warranty was seamless, I own two other TFO rods and now feel a tad better about not being as nimble as I once was...read...old fart.... (I am not affiliated in any way with the company)...just a FYI if anyone is considering........
    Tightlines&shineysides
    Halen, flylink, dsilver1007 and 2 others like this.
  12. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper

Oddometer:
    Gave it another try today, rode over to the Oil and Gas Park just off I-10 in Jennings La. Water in the pond was nice and clear, lot's of hit's and chasers but none hooked.
    Mostly all small perch and bass. Must have tried everything in my fly boxes. Foam spider got the most attention.
    No one else was catching anything either and some were using bait. No big deal, good weather and a nice ride.

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG
    motofshr, Halen and flylink like this.
  13. flylink

flylink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    East Side of the Sierras, between the Owens and Hot Creek. This was last year, and everything was blown out.
    20170625_145539.jpg
    Halen and Zapgarou like this.
  14. flylink

flylink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love fishing for Golden Trout in this high mountain stream!
    MK 10-10.JPG MK 10-10 3.JPG
    And how I love to get there!
    11822884_10203241886447597_4244714660562241923_o.jpg
  15. flylink

flylink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fishing the Madison last year, just WOW!
    20160919_132809.jpg 20160919_142730.jpg
    K7TNT, Dirtsampler, McRib and 5 others like this.
  16. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper

Oddometer:
    Lucky you, I can't find any clean water around here. All the rivers are like chocolate milk and most lakes also. I have to go up to Arkansas and the White River if I want to do some trout fishing.
    Now Red Fish and Speckled Trout is another matter but have to fish from my boat for them with a fly rod.
    Halen and flylink like this.
  17. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Late on a Thursday before I got terribly sick that night.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Let me guess.... so sick that you called off work Friday???
    :D
    flylink and wmfleet2 like this.
  19. dfinn

dfinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loaded up my fishing stuff and went out for an afternoon ride last night. Having this moto has me much more eager to check out some of these places that have been on my list for a while but I used to always be reluctant due to how much gas I'd burn through in my truck. What would have been a $50 excursion in gas probably only cost me $10 last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    K7TNT, Halen, McRib and 2 others like this.
  20. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did call in sick but it was honest. Normally I call in sick and tell them "I got a bad bug" in reference to the ugly flies I tie up but this one was rough. Lost six pounds in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk