Motoflyfishing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by doorman, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Longrodokie

Longrodokie Prepared Chris

Oddometer:
    Tenkara has always seemed a great option right up untill I consider the length of the rods.

9-11 ft is way beyond a manageable length for the small brushy creeks in the lower San Juans that I love to fish.

Maby in the open but don't see it happening in tight mountain freestones.
  2. interiorak

interiorak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tenkara rods are telescopic. shove bottom section into grip section ... you've got an 18 inch shorter rod. repeat till you're holding a reaaally short rod ... or buy a short tenkara rod ... they make em. i use them for grayling riding here in AK almost exclusively.
    Magus likes this.
  3. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    From what I've read and watched on videos, one of the handy things is how quick the Tenkara rods are to deploy from fully folded up to fully extended and ready to fish. My idea is to brush bust with it folded and deploy the rod when I reach the stream. As someone else mentioned, when I was shopping around I saw one Tenkara rod that is designed to be used at different lengths. Also, they seem so easy to pack that I'll be more likely to have it along with me. Hard to fish when the rod is back at the house.
    motofshr likes this.
  4. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes , just west on 14A.
    sledrydr likes this.
  5. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    You might surprise yourself. After a few years of casting I couldn't do something like a solo cup and probably never will, but on the water I can get pretty darn good at dropping a fly just where I want.
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  6. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Ok guys

Here is what I got.

I need to know if I need the floating line or sinking kind.

What weight, and anything else you can think of that I need to get started, I will be practicing on bluegill.

Is this reel/rod ok for small rivers in the Appalachian mountains because that's where I will be going most of the time.

IMG_20181225_143851045.jpg
    IMG_20181225_143830596.jpg
    IMG_20181225_143723395.jpg
    PNW Buttercup and K7TNT like this.
  7. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That will be a good reel and rod I believe. You will start fishing more and want something else eventually no matter what you start with.

I would get weight forward floating fly line. For good inexpensive fly line I’ve used piscifun and it works well for rivers and warm water pond and lake fishing. You will need backing to go on reel spool to fly line. You will also need leaders and tippet (4x is a go to and should work okay).

Flies rub the gambit on what you need. For dry flies elk hair caddis work well and nymphs are a big question mark but in the Appalachian mountains where I’m at I use a lot of ears hair nymph.

Once I get home I’ll post links to stuff.
  8. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, it's strange starting something kinda new at my age, it's like I have never fished before because it's all so different from what I've done for so many years.

Dar
    wadethewanderer likes this.
  9. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Believe me i understand! I started about three years ago and it seemed overwhelming at first. No matter what someone says about fly fishing always remember your are just floating something that looks like a bug/minnow/etc. around.

Backing (doesn't have to be anything special) https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Backing-Fishing-Braided-100yards/dp/B01IB5F2H6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545786152&sr=8-3&keywords=fly+line+backing&th=1&psc=1

Fly line: I've personally had good luck with Scientific Anglers Sharkwave but have also fished the piscifun a lot and has performed very well. I just bought Cortland 333 but can't describe how well it fishes but the price was hard to pass up. https://www.amazon.com/Piscifun-Weight-Forward-Floating-Fishing/dp/B01FM9V8N6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545786239&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=fly+line&th=1&psc=1

Dry Fly: Elk hair caddis has fooled everything from trout to bass and a lot in between. Flies direct are pretty good for the price. https://www.amazon.com/Flies-Direct...id=1545786331&sr=8-3&keywords=elk+hair+caddis

Nymph: For fishing in the Chauga and Chattooga I fish Hares Ear nymph quite a bit and also Stonefly but more often Hares Ear. https://www.amazon.com/Flies-Direct...&qid=1545786375&sr=8-15&keywords=flies+direct
    https://www.amazon.com/Flies-Direct...8&qid=1545786375&sr=8-7&keywords=flies+direct

For leaders and tippet people will vary a lot so I hate to give much advice for people to shoot down but I fish cabelas 9 foot 4x and so does my father and they hold up well. Tippet is also cabelas (I bought a lot a year ago and still using my old supply).

If there is anything else I can help with please PM me!
  10. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second the opinion on the Elk Hair Caddis. It's my go-to fly here in Idaho, in whatever size. It's caught trout and panfish, anywhere I've fished it.
  11. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    Third for Elk hair caddis - pick up some small ones if you're looking at bluegill, it's helpful if the fish can get the hook in it's mouth. :1drink That's that pattern I grab when I don't know/don't care what's hatching, I just want to fish dry flies.

I've been buying from Flyshack.com for a while - not as inexpensive as the Flies Direct (which I'll have to try) but good quality. Internet access to cheap, good flies has got me completely out of tying my own. That looks like a good rig to start with, general purpose enough that you can figure out what you like best. 4 pc ought to be easy to pack on a bike, too.
    dsilver1007 likes this.
  12. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    If you are still in Southern ILL. Go to Dunns in Marion and stock up on these.

My grandfather was a pipeliner for Marathon back in the day and had access to strip pits and farm ponds all over S IL and IN. We splayed the bluegills with little poppers like this. I used them in the little back country ponds at Crab Orchard when I was working down there in the mid '90's and did well on the gills/crappie/small LMB with them.

image.jpeg
  13. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Hey 1st gen FB, Or just go to your local fly shop, find "the guy or girl" that will help school you. Beware of the sales pitch. You can easily drop $500+ and not get what you actually need.
    dsilver1007 likes this.
  14. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:

I work in Marion and was raised, went to school and live in Crab Orchard, they have and are reclaiming some of the strip pits, but there are still a thousand I can fish from a kayak.
    BigEasy likes this.
  15. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on starting to fly fish.
    It is a great way to spend some quality me time. the
    Once you start fly fishing the next step is fly tying.
    There are so many great videos about how to get started doing it.
    The next thing you know you are looking at wool, your dogs hair, your cats hair and threads in a whole new light.
    And it seems like no matter how much different material you collect there will always be that one more product you need.
    Fish ON
    motofshr and BigEasy like this.
  16. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    My old boss was a fly tying nut job :lol3

If you wanted to get into his good graces all you had to do is bring him some bright colored bird feathers or roster feathers.....he would bounce around like a kid on Christmas morning.

One time I brought him a dead hummingbird with iridescent Ruby feathers..........he took off the rest of the day.
    OnOff, wmfleet2 and goochman like this.
  17. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    Now that I think about it....he may have thought it was part of a Paruvian death curse or something.:lol3
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crikey, I was poised to ask a question about spider patterns in the US and this popped up, excuse the pun. I used to love fishing semi floaters, emergers and full floating in Scotland and here in NZ. Those poppers are next level for aggressive fish. We use similar, but head weighted, for sea fish.

True this. Amazing how your perspective changes on how you can use different materials, I've used very fine strips of foil from chip packets. Please don't pillory me, but pubes make a fantastic carapace fuzz.... Failing that, poodle fluff might work.
    1stgenfarmboy and oldgrizz like this.
  19. SeeRace

SeeRace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up on the bamboo rod Steve. I have been in Bill's shop a few times and thought about building one. Dang, he is a year out! May have to just bite the bullet and sign up. You built exactly what I would have. Hope to see you on a N Ga stream sometime and check it out.

Dave
  20. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is great satisfaction in using a well made fly rod and laying out that perfect cast with the right drift and having a nice steelhead take the fly. ...then releasing the fish to continue its journey upstream.
    dsilver1007 and motogoat like this.