Motoflyfishing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by doorman, Jun 8, 2013.

1. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like this thread. I am new to the adventure bike gig, but have fly fished and built custom fly rods for decades. I started carrying a rod in my HD Road King saddlebags, but that big rig cannot go up fire roads, etc. I have built myself a Thomas and Thomas Vector 6pc 5wt rod, and a T&T Vagabond 7pc 5wt with tubes small enough to fit in my new Mosko Moto bags on the G650, or in my Africa Twin hard panniers. Riding a bike back into the woods where a truck cannot go, to waters hardly ever fished, is a special day. I am itching to get out again ASAP to the N. Ga. trout streams and back roads!
  2. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, would like to some of your rods. I just ordered a Hardy Shadow 864 to try out this next season if it gets here. lol
  3. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pick! I am eyeing that exact rod, or maybe even the Zephrus if I can find a used one. I've heard nothing but great things about those Sub-9ft Hardy 4 weights...
    K7TNT likes this.
  4. Jill Miraflores

Jill Miraflores tierra encantada Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, another fisher-person here! I switched over to the ancient art of Japanese fly fishing, Tankara. No reel, collapsible pole. It's about simplicity and lightweight, which is what I wanted for backpacking. Great to have along on my bike, too. Jill
    motofshr, K7TNT, TigerTrout and 2 others like this.
  5. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done some Tenkara fishing, and I do enjoy the simplicity. However, I find the limitation of length an issue on bigger rivers/lakes; I take both a 4 or 5 wt and a Tenkara rod with me.
    TigerTrout likes this.
  6. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally settled on a motofishing rod ... :clap:rofl:rofl

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG
    flylink and Motorius like this.
  7. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a tenkara rod to bring along on my travels and love the size / simplicity. Granted, I still haven’t actually caught a fish... I figure with time that’ll resolve itself. Especially as I’m more of a salt water guy anyway and subtlety isn’t my strong suite.
    TigerTrout likes this.
  8. TigerTrout

TigerTrout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tenkara is great to take along anytime you are not sure if you will have time to fish and is great to have for small streams.
    K7TNT, MattF44 and motogoat like this.
  9. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    As a long time fly rod builder and fly fisher, I for one am not a fan of tenkara. It is humorous to me that suddenly this has become a fad. They remind me of the goofy collapsible rods from back in the 60s. I have buddies who ran out and bought them, but they never use them. I suppose there might be some niche for them, but I have never been to a stream where I could not use any of my "conventional" fly rods. To each their own though...
  10. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    @gzrglyde, I'd love to see some of your work. Thank you in advance for taking the time to do so.
  11. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    I will post a few pictures shortly...gotta hook up my external drive!
  12. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m a bit of a masher, so take my options with even more of a grain of salt, but the tenkara excels in the packing light ethos — but the entire time I use it I wish I had a proper fly rod (so I could double-haul and terrify the trout).
    Magus likes this.
  13. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple pix of rods I built. I built three Winston rods for myself...3, 5 and 5 wt. The T&T rod is a Vagabond 7 piece for bike travel...

Attached Files:

Halen, motofshr, K7TNT and 2 others like this.
  14. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    3, 4 and 5wt rods I meant to type...
    K7TNT likes this.
  15. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    73042799-13A4-4C61-8D54-0C73697A188F.jpeg 48061B67-D640-46A8-A784-B5D42811CFCD.jpeg A33D7417-414B-4F6F-8DE4-5FD17D40940B.jpeg 215E10C1-F689-42C0-BC3E-E23DCCBD0C5D.jpeg Trip over to Sand Creek yesterday here in NE Wyoming. Was a beautiful day.
  16. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Heading into Whitefish later today to pick up my new Douglas DXF 9' 6 wt and Nautilus reel & spool; excited like a kid at Christmas - replacements for gear stolen along with the wife's Jeep last year.

Not really the best dual sport fly rod for my little WR250R dirt road tourist ride. And I'll cut my teeth on it on the return trip by truck in the Kootenay River to see if I can dredge up a bull trout or two flinging great big pieces of flying fur and feathers. Galloup style streamers often peel them off the bottom, and this is a great time of the year to try for them (other than the fall), while all the other streams and rivers accessible by dirt roads are closed until mid-June.

Anyone else see that eight piece travel rod Echo makes? Haven't had a chance to see/try one, but that compact little rod in a 5 weight just might be perfect for around here.
    FAW3, Tailing Loop and K7TNT like this.
  17. SeeRace

SeeRace Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Wow, I have the exact same 6wt and reel! I bought it for the Big Horn. You will like it! My travel rod is a frequent flyer from Orvis.
    K7TNT likes this.
  18. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    My travel rods are Thomas & Thomas. I built one from a T&T Vagabond 7pc blank, and the other is a Vector 6pc rod I built, and use Waterworks-Lamson or Aspen reels. I also have an inexpensive Cabela's 4wt 6pc rod. I throw my Simms wet wading shoes on the bike to use in camp and for wet wading! Planning a trip from Arizona up through the Rockies and hope to hit the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork again.
    K7TNT likes this.
  19. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    I know a couple guys who have Echo rods and they like them. I would buy that 8pc 5wt any day for a motorcycle travel rod...
    motogoat likes this.
  20. TigerTrout

TigerTrout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a good combo boot for riding and fishing? Or, do you change when you get to the river?
    5131dan likes this.