Motoflyfishing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by doorman, Jun 8, 2013.

1. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually take a pair of Simms wet wading shoes...strap them on bike with a bungie net... Tiger Trout.jpeg
  2. 5131dan

5131dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depending where Im fishing, I change my boots. Either knee boots hip boots or waders.
    TigerTrout likes this.
  3. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    I did get pulled over by a trooper coming back from flyfishing about 10 minutes from home, when I got lazy and didn't switch back to moto gear. He had never seen anyone on a V-Strom wearing wading boots, waders, fishing vest and an Arai before. Didn't seem much worse than the first time I tried riding in MX boots.
    motofshr, Zapgarou, flylink and 3 others like this.
  4. flylink

flylink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I change when I get to the river. I tried my FORMA's, they worked until @4-5 inches of water. Riding home in 40 degree temp with absolutely soaked gear, not so fun.
  5. flylink

flylink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to know I am not the only one! Though never pulled over by the cops!!
    Was just how I got around when I went to West Yellowstone
    2016-09-27 11.48.44.jpg
  6. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you guys carry your fly rods on the bike? Seems like across the seat they’d be too wide.
    I’m trying to figure out a PVC tube, from the rear foot peg up and back.
    Post pics?
    flylink likes this.
  7. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
  8. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Both 4 piece fly rods, I have never tried to carry a 2 piece rod on the bike though I really like flylink's picture from Yellowstone with a bobber attached and a ready strung rod! Here in Asia strapped to the bars on the KLR or WR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or in front of the top case with the KLR or GSA

[​IMG]
    flylink likes this.
  9. flylink

flylink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fishenough likes this.
  10. flylink

flylink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty much in a tube across the back, regardless of bike. My 3 piece 4 wt. is my longest tube @34 inches. If I am doing more serious trails, I go with a shorter rod/tube.
    20170625_145539.jpg 12168649_10203575580549741_597275583_o.jpg
    Magus and Fishenough like this.
  11. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

PVC pipe painted black. Used heavy flex tie backed up with safety wire on the lower end and a simple bracket I bent up from aluminum stock I had for the upper mount. Drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the pipe for air equalization. Pick diameter pipe that closely matches rod...wrap rod in a cloth case or towel to pad from vibration. Orvis sticker optional. Shown on a Gen 1 KLR.

The thin SS wire cable visible is a 4' section with loops crimped at each end for securing jacket to bike (cable is run up sleeve, then locked to bike by the helmet lock).
    1911fan, Magus and Fishenough like this.
  12. Longrodokie

Longrodokie Prepared Chris

Oddometer:
    20150716_090755.jpg

Some 1.5' pvc a glue on cap and a screw on cap. Aircraft wire bundle clamps.... Holds a 9' 4piece rod.
    goochman likes this.
  13. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    4 piece 5WT strapped across the back in rod case

IMG_1736.JPG
    krautman likes this.
  14. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning towards something up and back from the right rear footpeg, maybe. I'll probably wind up with the rod out of the hard case, just in the cloth bag, to keep diameter down.
    Could just strap it across the seat I guess, it would work with the tent/ground pad rollup. It's not THAT wide.... maybe I am overthinking this.
  15. motofshr

motofshr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vietnam, Lao Cai station,
    I had just arrived on the overnight train from Hanoi, had a sleeper berth while the bike rode in the equipment car...... loaded up... with my flyrod (6wt) secured and ready for any opportunity.... 20171115_083026.jpg had some blow-ups throwing for Snakehead (ca chuoi) on top with a mouse pattern....but could not keep them on...great fighters and escape artists, burrowing into the swampy water they thrive in... must bring an 8wt next trip... Awesome country for motofun!
    Zapgarou likes this.
  16. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like the "swept back" rod tube attachment on the 2 bikes above.

My first attempt many years ago was straight up the rear frame tube of my XT 350. Looked great. Couldn't get on or off the bike, though. Had to do a leg sweep over the handle bars, kung fu style. Oh to be that flexible again.
  17. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wake up! Wake up! It's not really warm enough for me yet, and the damn wind won't stop blowing on the weekend so I went to the Flyfishing Show in Lynwood, North of Seattle, today. I picked up a rod holder called a Quick Cast. https://quik-cast.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/XD_1.png It's a hard tube for your rigged rod that keeps it all rigged but tangle proof in the case. The vendor demo's setting up the rod in about 10 seconds and stowed it in about 20. Hell, it takes me 10 minutes of cursing and swearing to untangle and rig when I stop and I worry about the rod rattling around on forest roads between holes. I also spent some of my IRA fund on a Dave Scaddon Predator Lo Pro X fin and oar float tube. You're up out of the water with oars on a pointy float tube. It weighs 9.6lb and he claims it'll fit in a 2300cc day pack when rolled up. He and his son like to motofish and he developed it just for that. I'll have it in a week and post some pics. You may not want to look at it 'cause it's a little pricey, $899 show price includes shipping, and you might have to make a serious sacrifice to keep your kitchen pass. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ae9580_f22875ed341f4c50a1c09cb9c36fe63d~mv2.gif
    Magus and van the man like this.
  18. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    FullSizeRender 8.JPG
    Same 4 piece fenwick and Triumph since 1971
    Fishenough, Magus, BigIron and 11 others like this.
  19. Dirtsampler

Dirtsampler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my God, that's a handsome bike!
    Magus likes this.
  20. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    71 Triumph Daytona 500 ... bought new for trip up Alcan after vietnam experience. way too maintenance intensive. Still have it stored in Great Basin Desert for winter riding ... when AK gets too dark, too cold and cabin fever sets in.