Motoflyfishing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by doorman, Jun 8, 2013.

1. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am surprised you have found it to be maintenance intensive. I have restored several old Triumphs, twins and triples and they require less maintenance, and way easier (to get at air filters, etc) maintenance than the newer bikes...and I have a few of those as well! Glad you still have the Daytona 500!!!!
    yamty175 likes this.
  2. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    i agree custoidial and cyclical maitenance is easy, straight forward and quickly done. however electrical and wiring gremlins were constant. full wiring harness replaced by factory tech twice ... third and final done by local shadetree mechanic and no failures in last 50000 miles. tighting nut and bolts is a daily ritual ... unlike my other rides that are monthly/seasonal tightened. valve jobs 25-30000 miles is a way of life. when all said and done however she is a love-hate relationship that may become a lawn ornament ... but i don't plan on ever selling.
  3. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Interesting. If you have done 25k on your bike, you are riding it a lot, and I applaud you! Electrics have never been an issue on my bikes. I put new electronic ignitions in all of them and use lithium-iron batteries (not lithium-ions which catch fire). I have TriSparks in my triples and Pazons in my twins, along with all new wiring. Trying to chase sparks in 45-50 year old wiring doesn't work for me, and my bikes are for riding, not museums. I can leave my T160 sit for a month in the garage, not one drip of oil, and she will start up every time...just rode her yesterday. Don't make it a lawn ornament!!! Ride the crap out of it! I am restoring another T160 right now, and the worst thing is lacing wheels...sheesh...
    interiorak likes this.
  4. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not one drop of oil !!!! thaaat's not the triumph i know and love ... going on 86000+ miles now ... and on 3d engine rebuild. Love to go to garage ... tickle start her and go redband trout fishing. But currently Nevada is too far from Fairbanks and -24F is too far from the garage :D. And beside ... couple years ago i put her away cold and wet ... with a undiagnosed miss. My work is cut out for me next time i travel "outside." :doh
  5. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Well that is awesome! Not many ride the heck out of our old bikes....good on ya! Keep the old girl runnin!
  6. mr.jadkowski

mr.jadkowski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Caught a biggun yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JeffPrice, FAW3, Magus and 3 others like this.
  7. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Was that the bait you used for the biggun?
    JeffPrice likes this.
  8. mr.jadkowski

Oddometer:
    No, my hands are actually three feet long so that's a 24" fish.
  9. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
  10. Unhooked one

Unhooked one When in doubt....gas it out!!

Oddometer:
    LOL nothing wrong with a little native !
  11. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dropped my back cast into the creek on a North Cascades trip. Gave one of those a few air miles when the rod loaded up. Caught half a dozen like yours before deciding not to traumatize the youngsters any more. Thanks for reminding us there better things to do with our time than worry about the virus. dd
  12. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's my favorite fishing these days! Nothing wrong with that at all.
  13. mr.jadkowski

Oddometer:
    I had another good day fishing for native brook trout up in the Green Mountains. I spent some time a couple of weeks ago looking at the forest service map for the east side of the Green Mountain National Forest. I was surprised to see a bunch of forest service roads running way up into the mountains that I hadn't seen on any other map. Most of those roads run alongside the brook that drains out of each valley, so I figured they could be good access points to fish some water that other people aren't getting to. These are the headwaters of some of Vermont's most popular trout fishing rivers, so I was hoping that they had fish and that the draw of catching bigger trout in the main river would keep the other anglers away. I finally had the time and the weather to get over there this morning to do some exploring.

Step 1 for a good day of fishing: Immediately run out of gas. I hit reserve on my way home on the last day that I rode. I knew I was going to be pretty low by the time I got to the closest gas station, but I didn't realise just how low. 2/3 of the way to town the bike died. I stopped for a bit and tipped the bike towards the petcock to get the last little bit of gas into the carb. When I hit the edge of town the bike started to sputter. I got as much speed as I could and pulled the clutch in to coast as long as possible. This is where I ended up. I now know that my tank holds exactly 4.84 gallons of fuel.

[​IMG]

I eventually got to my first forest service road and started up the valley. 1/4 mile in and I hit a set of cement blocks placed across the road with a "NO ATV" sign. Since Vermont very specifically excludes motorcycles from its designation of an ATV (thanks Vermont ATV Sportsmans Association!) I continued up the road. Unfortunately I didn't make it very far.

[​IMG]

As it turns out, I had made it just far enough. This stretch of stream was perfect. It was a cascade of small pools running through boulders, with crystal clear water. This is why I love getting out to fish these spots. Even if I don't catch anything (and I normally don't) it's always fun scrambling up a mountain stream.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This stream, however, had plenty of fish and they were hungry. For the first hour of fishing, every single decent-sized pool had a fish in it. Every one. And as soon as my wooly bugger hit the water that fish would come screaming out from behind a rock and grab it. I caught so many brook trout that I lost count, and I missed more fish than I caught. Most of the time if I missed them on the first take they would still come back for a second and sometimes a third try before they got smart. It was pretty impressive to watch a 3" fish tear across a pool to grab a wooly bugger that is half its size with zero hesitation. I caught plenty of those little guys, as well as a couple of bigger 6-8" trout. I think the small ones put up more of a fight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can honestly say that I caught more trout today than I have cumulatively in the six years that I've lived in Vermont. I didn't even make it to the other two spots that I intended to check out. I'm excited to see what those streams have to discover!
    Magus, MacG, Flyeover and 9 others like this.
  14. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of rig are you fishing those streams with? It looks like it would be a blast to fish with a nice 2wt glass.
  15. mr.jadkowski

Oddometer:
    I'm using a 9' tenkara rod with about 12' of #3.5 level line and a couple more feet of tippet. I can take the tenkara rod from fully ready to fish to completely compacted in about 30 seconds, which is great when you need to scramble up through some brush or deadfall to get to the next pool. It's small, light, simple, and catches fish.

[​IMG]
  16. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good choice as well. I've converted mostly to tenkara for my mountain stream fishing as well, but I still have a sweet tooth for small glass.

I just picked up a new zoom tenkara rod that fishes at 11'/9.6'/8'. I ran into a few situations where I just ran out of room with my old 12' tenkara, so I'm excited about trying the new one out.
    interiorak likes this.
  17. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got back from 2 weeks at our family cabin in Hunt texas and fly fished nearly every day on the South fork of the Guadalupe .
    Magus likes this.
  18. mr.jadkowski

Oddometer:
    More green mountain trout fishing today. I tried a new spot that's closer to home, and is truly only accessible by foot or motorcycle. I've fished at different spots along this stream without much luck, but I wanted to try going all the way into the back of the valley on the legal trail that continues on at the end of the road. It's not exactly a gnarly ride and could definitely be driven in a car, but it's gated.

[​IMG]

I didn't have super high hopes since the lower part of the stream has not been productive in the past, and the elevation up at the end of the trail is relatively high. I haven't had much luck fishing these small streams at high elevation, I think because there is so much ice in the winter that it's hard for the trout to survive until the spring. This spot didn't seem to have a lot of deep holes either, but what the hell, it's worth a shot anyways right? The worse case is I go wandering up a stream for an hour or two.

[​IMG]

Typical Vermont mountain stream: high gradient, full of big rocks, trees, logs, ect. It can be a serious challenge just figuring out how to cast into some of these pools. At one point I had to cast over one deadfall tree and under another to get my fly where I wanted it. Very tricky! I'm glad I gave it a shot though, because this stretch of stream had plenty of fish. They were more easily spooked than some other spots I've fished recently, but I landed a half dozen and hooked several more. The two highlights of the day were watching two brook trout fight over my fly, and landing this guy:

[​IMG]

It was definitely the most colorful brook trout I've ever seen, and also one of the biggest ones I've ever caught. It was probably 10", which is (I'm told) about as big as the natives get here, and definitely big for that little stream. It put up quite a fight, and was super fun to land on my light tenkara rod!

[​IMG]

I made it back to my bike just in time to get out of there and cross the valley to get home before the rain hit. Definitely a successful afternoon! Also, I'm making a strong showing for dorkus of the year by combining my ADV moto and flyfishing gear all at once.

[​IMG]
    AZ Mark, ShOqUePoT, Flyeover and 6 others like this.
  19. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Nice.

I have a small chest pack for my basic fly kit and use a tube for the rod. The waist pack just fits into a 5 liter dry bag which fits on a bracket on the front fairing of the KLR. The rod tube is black painted PVC pipe mounted to the left side. This gear is kept on the bike all the time.

I typically bring a pair of hiking shorts and strap on sandals good for wading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some small stream plans myself if I can slip away for a few days...

I don't have a slick rig for my bike, just throw the pack on IMG_20200629_162557.jpg
    dammitdave and mr.jadkowski like this.