MotoGP 2020 - Circuit of Americas

Discussion in 'Americas' started by navi, Jan 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the planning stage .... Races are April 3rd to April 5th. 2020

This is what I think right now, Fly to Austin Texas, Rent a motorcycle, go watch races, have beer, sleep somewhere

So ....

Where is a good place to rent a bike?
    Where is a good place to get a motel ? Hotel ? ( nope ... don't want to camp )
    What should I know about where to sit , what is must see while I'm in the area
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hotel prices are going to be high for the race weekend so if you are definitely going you can maybe book a room at Motel 6 NOW and still get a normal price. On my first ( the year of 3 US Moto GP) visit I shared a room with another rider and his dog at Motel 6 , north end Austin beside I -35 , great guy , great Scottie great luck . I watched the hotel rate sign go from normal up to $110 for Saturday night !!!!!!
    I dread to hear what the fancy pants hotels will ask. And B&B are probably also going to raise prices .
    The rider I shared with said he had Motel 6 booked for two beds ( him and Fido) in November or so . Fido was a lot better trained and well behaved than a lot of the people .

Last year I checked in at a motel in Taylor TX on the Thursday at a normal rate for 3 nights and rode to the track each day with no city riding involved .
    If you can find a friend to billet with that would be ideal , I’ve done that too ( THANKS again JD !!!)

Can’t help you on bike rentals but bet they too are going to be soaking anybody who is desperate .

Where to sit is not a problem COTA has lots of excellent view spots around the track on the grassy earth embankments . On Friday much of the grandstand reserved seating areas on the set of turns at the end of the back straight ( and others) are free for all . A general admission ticket will let you wander the trackside and appreciate the view at different spots , then you can decide where you want to be during the main event .
    Paying premium for a particular seat is very restricting , you may decide you don’t like the view but feel forced to stay there or throw your money away .
  3. WilsoDRZ

WilsoDRZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Revival Cycles rents a few bikes, although they might be already spoken for. Apparently their website for rentals requires an email address to see what is available.
    https://revivalcycles.com/rentals
    My GF's XT225 is in storage down there...maybe I should rent it out for the weekend...wouldn't have to worry about speeding tickets.

Shamelss plug, I used to work at Revival, be sure to check out the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show while you're there. https://revivalcycles.com/handbuilt-motorcycle-show
  4. Txjack

Txjack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Taylor, Tx. there are 3 er 2 good BBQ cafe's in town. Also a good one real close to the track. Not sure about rentals...you'll have to ck www fer that:1drink..Great track& venue! Be sure to ck out the tower....available to all gen. ticket holders..Good luck w/trip...
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Check out TwistedRoad.com for bike rentals. It's like AirB&B for motorcycles. They have all types of bikes, so you can pick anything from a full dress cruiser with luggage to a supersport.
  6. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks ... all good tips
  7. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MOTOGP !!

tickets bought ..... now all the details to take care of

thanks for the tips
  8. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok ... so far

- go to MotorGP :clap
    - go to the Revival Bikers Build show:clap

What else would be a should do while in Austin Texas ?
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Black's BBQ (or Smitty's, or Kreuz, or Chisholm Trail) in Lockhart 26 miles away.
  10. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.... BBQ .... i like to eat !
  11. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll be camped (RV) in Lot N. Come by after the racing for a beer and some BS. 5th wheel toy hauler Minnesota plates. 5 bikes.
  12. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer .... will do !
  13. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    I always stay downtown near 6th St. There is an Extended Stay at 600 Guadalupe which I've always got decent rates at <$140/night, parking included (most hotels downtown are $200+ not including parking). It is walking distance to the entire 6th Street scene and even to the Handbuilt Show. Parking is difficult/expensive downtown so being able to walk around makes it much nicer.

Aside from the Handbuilt Show, AF1 (large Aprilia dealer) and Ducati Austin both have great open houses on two different nights with free food and GP racers in attendance which are worth attending. Last year there was also a pay entry event with Kevin Schwantz downtown run by a local motorcycle club.
    Slamber likes this.
  14. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OH Man ?

Just got told that it has been moved to November
    Slamber likes this.
  15. Slamber

Slamber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sucks! l have vaca put in and approved and everything, so l figured l might as well ride down there anyway. At least l can ride the West Texas hill country and take my time to go anywhere l want. l have 4 weeks to do it and it's all about the adventure, right?
  16. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Attitude !

Enjoy the trip ..... also remember that weekend ( Original MotoGP ) there is also a large motorcycle show .... so theirs that
    Slamber likes this.
  17. Slamber

Slamber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully!
  18. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well ... that just happened

it was cancelled, took a bit and even had to phone the UK about the refund. But did get the info

2 choices, 100% coupon for another race date in 2021 or a 95% refund .. but at least they are starting to answer requests