MotoGP and MotoAM Combined COTA Spoilerfest

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Apr 9, 2019.

1. 78749

78749 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That turn 18 bump is right on the apex and nasty. The IndyCar guys ran 10 feet wide of the racing line there to avoid it. I know the Moto 3 leader crashed out there. Did anyone else? IIRC at least 6 riders crashed in each of the Moto 2 & 3 races, & almost all of those were guys falling without contact.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. GeneralGarden

GeneralGarden Long timer

Oddometer:
    MM had another one like that earlier, more serious, made him back off for the lap. But as far as I know that was mostly due to the partially damp track and MM riding on slicks (he was the first to try them).
    RememberTheFallen likes this.
  3. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I spent 3 days at COTA. One thing that really dawned on me was, love or hate him, the races will not be the same without Rossi suiting up in his leathers. After he finally calls it quits, I'm sure Dorna will create a position for him to keep him around and he will be attending most, if not all the races, looking after his VR46 racing program....but it won't be the same. After hanging out in the paddocks and suites and being able to witness the passion up close and personal for the man, it's pretty off the charts.
    Roam, ridenm, silsen and 8 others like this.
  4. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is the same at every track....amazing.
  5. 78749

78749 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. When Rossi stops riding, in the stands it'll be the MotoGP equivalent of Ferrari leaving F1.
    5th-Elefant likes this.
  6. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Hero's come.....and they go.

Every sport on the planet has some sort of demi-god in its ranks, and when they go, the sport does go on. How many huge names have retired/died whatever, and it was never going the be the same, and yet it was. New people to love or hate will rise.

Pele, Jordan, Senna, Bradman, Borg [add your own] and on and on and on.....

We'll be OK.
    Ogribike, twotyred, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  7. 78749

78749 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think the sport will be fine, but it'll definitely be a big adjustment period for a lot of folks. F1 is going through a bit of that with the loss of Alonso, even in a shit car. His abilities and personality are missed, even by people who can't stand the guy.
  8. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    very true.
    Angel Nieto won it all, survived brutal crashes only to die later in life on a freaking quad crash a few miles from his home.
    All will be remembered but then life goes on.
  9. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Also to be a legend you don't have to win it all.
    you just have to show your passion and be a raw model in both the track and in life.
    Everything his bike could not do, kevin filled in.
    I bought my first Suzi because of him. I didn't care if the CBR was better. Inspiration.

A living legend...

10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I dont dislike him but it wont make much difference to me. There is plenty in the paddock to keep my interest at max.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed watching Alonso wrestle a sub par ride and wring the best out of it placing higher than he should have. Don't like Max but watching him race is like sitting in the bushes watching an apex predator ply their trade.
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I dunno if Max worked at looking like a crazed maniac in the pits,if so he had it down pat.
    He wanted to beat Rossi SO bad,and Rossi mainly just F'd with Max's head, brutally at times. It was fun watching them work it out on track.
  13. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Schwantz definitely showed his passion and personality, unlike Eddie Lawson who was much better and won 4 championships. I guess that's why he is remembered and Lawson hardly ever gets mentioned. He also stayed around the sport and still has his hand in it.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Kevin and Wayne....both mainly concentrated on beating the other at most races,quite a few years at it.
    11motos likes this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Watching Eddie wheelie his 1000 Kawasaki all the way down the main straight at Laguna was something,he had a good handle on riding those big 4 cylinder hot rodded streetbikes.
    Camping out at Laguna in the mid to late 70's was the craziest thing,all night parties with huge explosions and burnout contests with any vehicle that rolled and wanted to get into the camping area. Can ride mostly down Hiway 1 on the coast to get there,really fun weekends.
    RC., twotyred, bomose and 2 others like this.
  16. SGrider

SGrider I give up Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lawson was never on the good side of the media, it was always an icy relationship. Lawson was never the flamboyant personality like Schwantz and was much more reserved in interviews.

Really Lawson and Stoner have a lot in common personality wise, very intense competitors but not big fans of the press.
    Angry Pete, husqvarna, Scoozi and 3 others like this.
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

I’ve met Lawson a couple of times in the past 10 years at other types of racing and he’s plenty nice, but still not a big talker.
    bomose likes this.
  18. bomose

Oddometer:
    I've met him, too, in Daytona at a bar. Standing in a corner. Was very nice , but not all that talkative. My brother did some impellers for him a few years ago and said he was very nice on the phone. Some people just aren't very comfortable in the limelight.
  19. bomose

Oddometer:
    Riverside Wheelie.jpg
    RC., twotyred, Foot dragger and 3 others like this.
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    There are Rossi fans who like Rossi and motorcycle racing and there are Rossi fans that like Rossi but don't have much interest in the sport itself. I suppose the latter will be gone.
    RememberTheFallen likes this.