MotoGP and MotoAM Combined COTA Spoilerfest

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Apr 9, 2019.

1. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still have an obligation to finish out his season and most likely a contract. He wasn't some amatuer that brought his bike in the back of his truck. His refusal affected many more than just himself. Crew probably eligible for bonuses, sponsors, etc.

I get your point but while the rider may be taking all the risk, racing is still a team sport.
    11motos and JBird like this.
  2. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    20190411_123018.jpg
    chasbo, Pantah, wmfleet2 and 2 others like this.
  3. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mladin's incredible competitive drive to win races and championships extended to assembling his own crew and keeping that same crew together for years. Those guys made a decent money and had very good, steady jobs in pro racing (which is very rare) thanks to Mladin. I'd be shocked if Reg O'Roarke and Peter Doyle had anything less than full support of Mladin's decision to sit out that race. There are dangerous tracks and I respect the racers who will take a stand for safety.
    ridenm, wmfleet2, browniez and 5 others like this.
  4. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Some day.

ETA: At COTA for MotoGp, I mean
  5. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was not around racing during this time but he was the only rider in the whole series to sit out the race, yes?
  6. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Come on tinhead. We know what your rig really looks like.

[​IMG]
  7. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    There was a lot of controversy that weekend. I don't remember who sat out. I remember that Josh Herrin went off the track at high speed in the Daytona Sportbike race and narrowly missed one of the walls everyone was complaining about. It was scary. There were several racers who wouldn't race Mid-Ohio in the rain leading to a cancelation. Several riders sat out the Homestead race when it rained. In the late 70s and early 80s there were full on revolts at Grand Prix races over safety conditions, mostly led by Kenny Roberts. Other tracks have made major safety improvements just to accommodate motorcycle racing. All thanks to racers taking a stand.
    ridenm, wmfleet2, bomose and 3 others like this.
  8. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    :rofl:jack :lol2:lol3
  9. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I always thought he had a book in him "How to Win at Anything"
    My girlfriend was introduced to racing during the Mladin era. It took her a while to understand how one person could dominate like that.
    Bigger Al and Foot dragger like this.
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Exactly,racing is a business and Mat said what he thought,so did Kenny Roberts many times.
  11. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    By using traction control while it was not allowed under AMA rules at the time???
    Richy, stk0308, SGrider and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid Doesn't Like Stuff

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Scuderia was pleased he honored his contract.
    stokerel, PeteN95 and Motonirvana like this.
  13. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:

You're only cheating if you get caught.

I remember watching the exit of T6 at Rd America and hearing the factory Suzooks ignition cut out on acceleration and at the time... thinking they're using TC. :lol3

I also had an encounter with Mladin just after he crashed on the uphill blind entrance to T6. He lost the front on brakes and augered into the pavement pretty fricken hard! He got up, walked off the track to where the spectators were (including me) were standing. I had my Honda Superhawk right there, I told him he could use it to get back to the pits. He smiled and said sorry mate wrong brand.

One thing for sure about Mladin, is he went balls out from the second he threw his leg over the seat.
    DogBoy, browniez, JBird and 2 others like this.
  14. peterhively

peterhively Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about the "rovals" at Loudon and Phoenix?!? They made Mid Ohio and Homestead look very safe! The AMA forced riders to race at some of those death traps.
  16. fore

fore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cota still looking bumpy AF
  17. Dagofast

Dagofast Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer:
    FP1: Normal service resumed. Vinales is the only one in the same zip code as MM93 but Mav will fuck up his race start or qualifying or something... It's still early but it looks like Dovi and Grandpa46 will slug it out for the podium again.
    mauroarriagada and Mr Head like this.
  18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last AMA Loudon National was 2003 I think. They held it on Fathers Day weekend and as usual it rained. TV was there but the only riders that took the track were locals. A few of them were hired by AMA teams as Loudon 'Ringers', and of coarse they raced Loudon in the rain countless times. The first race up was Pro Thunder. The touring riders refused to take the grid. Bob Bahre (track owner) went batshit!!! He stood in the paddock and put up $25,000 for the Pro Thunder winner. It was raining like crazy... A few rolled out and took their out lap. A local kid riding his Dad's 748 out of a Boston dealership lapped the field... And he crashed 3 times!!!

As I recall they ran the Superbike race on Monday when it was dry. There were few fans and no TV. The AMA never came back.
    Chuckracer, StevieMac and stk0308 like this.
  19. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    To follow up Pantah-
    The following year, Loudon was dropped in favor of Fontana. Unlike "dangerous" Loudon, a rider was killed when he crashed through a barrier and was hit by riders on the piece of track he landed on.
    DogBoy likes this.
  20. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Loudon in the rain wasn't bad, it was much better than some. I won a Last Chance qualifier for a F1 National in the rain - I just followed around a guy sliding everywhere on his TZ750 until he lost it in T3. :D
    Richy likes this.