MotoGP and MotoAM Combined COTA Spoilerfest

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Apr 9, 2019.

1. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    I may need to dig up some old pictures and put them online...
    stk0308 likes this.
  2. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    2000...I was there and working for a Pro Thunder team that season. I was present at that riders meeting too. Bahre's emotions weren't the only one's boiling over.
    One of our riders did race and wound up third - and we were from Arizona...never raced in the rain before. He was the one riding wheelies the length of the front straight.
    flexiflyer and UngaWunga like this.
  3. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    JStory, Florida Lime, Russ and 21 others like this.
  4. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally, something to actually do with the current race weekend!

It was very cool to attend that event! There were so few fans left (they never announced the time. It was @ 6:45pm) that everyone just intermingled.

Just standing around as some of the younger racers walked up. Then the Binder brothers, and then most of the motogp guys. Just walked up to within a couple feet of me while waiting to be placed. I was super excited to be so close to all of them!

It was nice that (almost) everyone there was respectful and appreciated the moment enough to not bother the riders. It was interesting that the handful of Spanish speaking corner workers that did bother racers after it was over chose Vinales and not MM. Also watched the autograph session and he got as many applause as MM.

Over all great day at the track!

20190412_185416.jpg 20190412_174247.jpg 1555119699315.jpg
  5. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Wow the track looks bad. Just watched FP2.
    78749 and RememberTheFallen like this.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive never seen more near crashes ,most at extreme speed.
    I can see how the guys that are the fastest on a dirty track with bumps will take any advantage............but man it looks sketchy.
    Makes the best suspension available look bad.
    RememberTheFallen likes this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    At this point as long as everyone gets out of the race without injuries it will be considered a good weekend, IMO. This track doesn't deserve to host another round until the track is fixed. Simon rode a street bike around the track and could determine how bad the track was and what parts are dangerous, why couldn't the track owners get a qualified rider to do the same during the repair process and keep working on it until it's aadequate. The track doesn't have to be perfect but it shouldn't be in such a poor state. If the track can't afford to repair the track correctly then move the race to a venue that can provide a proper circuit.
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    Move it back to Indy!
    Robear, oic, spezjag and 10 others like this.
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must say I am impressed MotoGP/FIM retired #69. We Americans always loved the Kentucky Kid and followed his every season since he turned pro. But I didn't know the rest of the MotoGP world loved him too. Other than his podium dances and taking victory laps with Earl aboard, Nicky 69 seemed a pretty understated personality. Glad to see he is so appreciated. I sure wish Laguna Seca would name T1 after him...
    JStory, bobzilla, silsen and 3 others like this.
  11. RememberTheFallen

Oddometer:
    Because they do not care about the riders!

As I said yesterday, the announcers and Kevin Schwantz said the racers should "get over it".

Not sure how obvious it is on the but it is very obvious in person. Some of the bumps in the turns are just scary.

COTA doesn't seem to want to change so I think it is time for a better track. The COTA announcers even mentioned to "come back to the biggest event at COTA, the F1 race in fall. It is the most important race at the track..." That is probably true but makes me think that they don't give a crap about the two wheel event.
    78749 likes this.
  12. RememberTheFallen

Oddometer:
    Cal Crutchlow did not show up to the autograph session but came up to the retirement ceremony a little while after. I think that is pretty telling.

Not every racer in the paddock showed up but say 90% of them did. Quite a few Moto3 racers that were so young that they were probably only a couple years old when he won the championship.
  13. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto3 FP3 session on delay.
    They say more information coming at 10:00 local time.
    I can't hear them as I don't have my hearing aids in and my wife isn't up, so I'm just enjoying the pit walk they keep doing.

The bumps remind me of watching real roads racing.
  14. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personal opinion alert: worst track on the calendar for me.
    silsen and 78749 like this.
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. 78749

78749 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess the turn 10 surgery (resurfacing) didn't work too well.
    Mr Head likes this.
  17. 78749

78749 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I can vouch for what you're saying about the announcers. I didn't hear Schwantz, but I did hear Green and his dufus sidekick, the country guy. Schwantz talking that shit wouldn't surprise me at all though. They were upset about the riders pointing out the dangers of the excessive bumps. Country Guy literally sounded like he was gonna cry.

The gist was that the riders are just being whiny babies & should just shut up and ride, that 'no track will stay billiard smooth forever', that 'they just have to ride it and figure out the best ways around the bumps' etc. Billiard-smooth forever? LOL. Seriously? It's year 7 of MotoGP at COTA. The riders have been talking about this for 3 years running now, & F1 started having trouble in 2014 or 2015 iirc.

The best part was when Country Guy said Vinales' Lap 2 fall in 2017 was caused not by the T18 bump, but by Vinales "taking the wrong angle" approaching the bump. You just can't make this stuff up.

IDK if they can afford to fix the track properly (complete smooth & resurface) or not, but Epstein says the track is making money. Epstein's not likely to do it anyway though imho, even if he can. He's not a racing guy. It's abundantly evident that he doesn't care about racing, riders, drivers, or the track surface. All he cares about are his Amphitheater and crappy soccer team and 'stadium'.

Best wishes to the riders out there this weekend. It's rough as hell, & is just getting rougher every year. It's not that evident on TV, but anyone who's ridden or driven it recently knows the track is a mess. And now it's cracking up, too, which will only accelerate the deterioration.
    RememberTheFallen likes this.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Cheaper place to visit than Austin. And they made a real attempt to improve the circuit. Maybe with the decline of Nascar they could work something out.
  19. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    9FEE049C-E6A6-43B1-9508-ED51A74C701D.jpeg FD1BF962-AF7C-4CD7-A40B-92249C51A215.jpeg 0DBF8E15-2A8F-4E42-B2A5-F15D7EBE5F32.jpeg C336A17C-0F35-46E1-BD84-2790E52E05F7.jpeg

Yesterday from Ducati island
  20. SGrider

SGrider This space for rent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto GP before they left had higher weekend fan attendance than Nascar at Indy. I'd love it if they'd bring it back, that's one city that knows how to handle a race.
    Richy, JBird, SocalRob and 4 others like this.