Motojournalism E-Book - Learn Motorcycle Travel Photography! By Antontrax

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Motojournalism, May 2, 2010.

1. Motojournalism

Motojournalism motojournalism.com

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Motorcycle Travel Photography.
    www.motojournalism.com

Motojournalism Book One - The Foundation

Our motorcycles give us a unique ability to have real adventure and authentic explorations. These agile vehicles allow us to get far out into the world. The variety of photo opportunities we encounter every day is incredible. We’ll see the sun crest a ridge in the morning, we’ll ride hundreds of miles over challenging and varied landscapes, discover a new town, meet interesting people, then watch the sun drop into the ocean in the evening.

We take pictures of our rides to remember the incredible time we’ve had and to share stories with our friends. But often we get back home, disappointed to find that the photos just aren’t as good as when we were there. How often have we heard “Sorry for the bad photo.” “It’s steeper than it looks.” or “The photo doesn’t do the place justice.”

This book is not about equipment. This book is about taking better photos with the camera you have now. The basic techniques covered here will improve your photos whether you are using a $5000 digital SLR or the camera of your mobile phone. Knowing how to choose a subject and compose an image will have the greatest impact on the success of your photography.

PDF E-Book 41 pages
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Through text and examples, each chapter describes the essential techniques for creating compelling images of your travel adventures.
    Whether you are headed for Tierra del Fuego or Terre Haute Indiana, these skills can be used right away with the camera you have now.
    The book is divided into seven main sections
    • Keep it Simple
    • Rule of Thirds
    • Get Close
    • Background
    • Layered Landscape
    • People
    • The Edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motojournalism Book Two - The Tools

Book Two is stuffed to the gills with information on how to choose your camera equipment for your motorcycle travel, how to pack it, and how it all works. Learn the photo essentials of Manual mode, aperture, shutter-speed, ISO, exposure compensation the histogram, and heaps more. All told with the unique twist that motorcycle travel entails, but this will help improve your photography on or off the bike. There's nothing quite like this out there. Enjoy!

• Camera choice
    • Lens choice
    • Buying gear
    • Packing gear
    • Accessories
    • Shooting modes
    • ISO
    • Histogram
    • Exposure compensation
    • White balance
    • Backup on the road
    49 hi-res, information packed pages $15.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<IFRAME class="twitter-share-button twitter-count-none" title="Twitter For Websites: Tweet Button" style="WIDTH: 55px; HEIGHT: 20px" tabIndex=0 src="http://platform0.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.html?_=1291736726796&count=none&lang=en&text=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.advrider.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D575625&via=Motojournalism" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no allowTransparency></IFRAME><SCRIPT src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" type=text/javascript>
    </SCRIPT>
  2. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Anton - I've enjoyed your RR so much, I bought this ebook.

Very nice job. Simple, effective, just like your photos. I like the format. Several great key tips that I'd long since forgotten about (and often neglected to use). Good stuff!

I, for one, am really looking forward to the next installment!

Hope to meet you on the road some day,

dc
  3. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    I thoroughly enjoyed your RR and your photo style. I'm buying your ebook as a thank you for what you've done, to help keep you going, and to help myself take better photos with my 2.0 mp phone camera :lol3
  4. Motojournalism

Oddometer:
  5. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I grabbed a copy. I figure it was the least I could do after enjoying your most excellent ride report. Besides, now that I have relocated to North Africa (and my bike is here too!) I figure I should start taking better pictures.
  6. rubRsidedown

rubRsidedown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paid in full with pleasure.
    :evil
  7. Motojournalism

Oddometer:
    Cool, this is fun :thumb

Feel free to give some feedback, what would you guys like to see in future e-books?

Is there an LrMoore out there? your email keeps bouncing...
  8. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    I think the cheat sheet at the end is a perfect reminder to keep in the tank bag, good thinking! Just enough to be able to remember the lessons.
  9. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Ordering now...thanks for sharing your ride report:thumb I have been following your photos and aspire to be the composer that you are:evil Keep up the great work and get back riding soon:super
  10. fastredbike

fastredbike locked-down tight

Oddometer:
    7 months and 30,000 kms on a stock KLR seat! :huh I think you should win the Pulitzer Prize for that alone!! :wink: Very nice work on the first installment!

cheers

d
  11. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to a good read to go along with that excellent RR!
  12. shortstuff

shortstuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My husband and I have enjoyed your r.r. over the winter. The least we can do in way of payment for hours of reading is to purchase your e-book. (and it sure won't hurt to improve our photography). Greg has 4 days left before "retirement" and with plans to do a lot of riding this summer the photography instruction will be well timed. (too bad it is on my computer not his!!LOL)
    thanks
  13. Motojournalism

Oddometer:
    Lovin' the response sofar!:thumb

This is all about raising the bar for better ride report photos!:deal

ADV is the perfect place to share your photos with an appreciative audience and to get feedback too. The interactivity of this forum(how many of us LIVE on this website...), plus the unlimited length of these great stories. Nate the postman, Worldrider, MANY others with incredible photos to share. How cool is the internet!:wings

I'm going to push www.motojournalism.com to be a useful blog with more dialogue about specific motorcycle photography techniques.

I just put up a new post tonight. Just touching on the equipment subject...
  14. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    I've been following your RR almost daily since you left Quebec. The pictures just keep getting better and better. I guess it's time to learn some of your secrets. Just bought the E-Book. It was the least I could do for all the entertainment value you've brought me.

Thanks again. Wayne
  15. shaweetz

shaweetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice work. Re culling a series of shots, I always appreciate seeing at least a few of the 'duds', and reading about the thought process that goes into the inevitable (and often painful) culling when you drill down to the best. I was happy to see that you kept and included some of these alternates (though they are hardly duds in my world). To me this is worth more than seeing just the final product, and the text talking about what makes it good. With your eyes you can see why it was a better shot, and the learning is stickier.

But it is nice to read how your process works. 60 shots taken for the surf bus, many of them great... and yet one speaks to you more than the others. But that is art, and that choice makes the artist, yes?

Great first installment. Looking forward to the others.

My wish list:
    - people: you (and others on here, eg. tskilonaut) have a gift of taking portraits, and this seems to be a function of personality, charisma, not gear or technique. Especially when you are waving an SLR in peoples' faces! However, How To Be Charismatic and Disarming and Invisible (hello, cock fight series? Shooting this would have earned me a lot of threatening looks, I am sure) is probably a more advanced topic.

- It's noon. The sky is uninteresting. Everything is washed out. Yet you will probably never be in this place again. What to do?

I seem to be bla bla bla-ing. Thanks again.
  16. Motojournalism

Oddometer:
    Oh, I should mention. The index in the ebook, click on the chapter titles, this will jump you right to the corresponding chapter.

I'm not sure how obvious that is...

Another tip:
    Click the menu: View>Navigation Panels>Bookmarks

This will let you jump around the book much easier!
  17. Motojournalism

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes! That's exactly the sort of feedback I'm looking for:thumb

That's definitely on deck for the "advanced" composition book.
    I've intentionally stripped the first book down to the foundation.

I want to go more in-depth about colour theory, visual balance, people photo psychology (and when to be sneaky)
    Making the most out of visually terrible, but once-in-a-lifetime experiences is a great suggestion:thumb
    That happens a lot!
  18. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Cant get to the site through schools firewall. Great read and very well set-up:thumb I have heard some talk about white balance, how important is that to set-up? Your shots have a nice lighting and balance. Are you going to go into how to choose which settings you use and when to use them? I feel that I have pretty good understanding of the manual features of camera (all I use is the M setting on the DSLR), but often times it takes a few shots to get things tweaked correctly. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks again for sharing your expertise:evil I am especially looking forward to your insight on editing once the photo is taken. Keep'em coming:clap
  19. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely looking forward to the advance composition and editing books.

Thanks Anton!

dc
  20. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your ride RR from start to end and was constantly amazed at the quality of your photos. I'm a point and shoot kind of person, but I think I can learn to be much more.

I bought your ebook, and I'm looking forward to ordering others as you finish publishing them.

Thanks Anton!