MotoMavericks ride WR250R's RTW. Motos, Beer, Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by CJ, Sep 28, 2015.

1. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:
    Nice work out there Johnno. I'm f ING choked I missed it all. Apart from the bear spray..... and snow.... and broken KLR. (We did say we should stop hanging out with so many KLRs, it was only a matter if time before one of them went wrong).

I'll see you tomorrow brother! And tell you all about how I pushed my bike down the hwy for 2 hours after riding 600kms today....
  2. motomum

motomum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One can only imagine how much fun you will have when you get back together.
    motomaverick likes this.
  3. Claddaghman

Claddaghman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aren't you as a fellow Canadian heading south supposed to be trying to AVOID the snow?!
    Great ride report. Looking forward to your upcoming European/Asian leg as my friends and I are in the planning stages of a UB&B ride in 2017. Will be following you closely.
    motomaverick likes this.
  4. BCBelstaff

BCBelstaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So its been a few days since I saw THIS pop up on my facebook!
    13165873_1021598047928176_1714315583250851841_n.jpg

I think we need an update :)

Cheers from Chilliwack

2016-05-09 13.22.54.jpg
    SMURPH, ACR, motomaverick and 2 others like this.
  5. thatislandguy

thatislandguy The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    ha me too!
    motomaverick likes this.
  6. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I hope everything is okay. This has been my "must read" RR every time I log on.
    motomaverick likes this.
  7. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:

Hey lads!! We are in England. We made it here safely after a pretty insane trip that was 3 flights... one of which was 15 hours. The bikes were shipped and we managed to uncrate them the day after we arrived in London. Thankfully both bikes were not damaged.

We had a pretty warm welcome at Heathrow airport when an absolute legend picked us up. Gerald Vince was there waiting for us and drove us back to his river boat where he lives. He and his brother Austin are 2 of the pioneers of adv riding. Austin keeps his boat across from Gerald and also rents a little work shed where he offered us safe parking and a tidy little place to work on the bikes. We have been flat out here since securing the motos. As usual we've left everything to the last minute. Trying to secure our multiple entry business Visas for Russia has proven to be a real nightmare. We are currently hudled in a pub as it chucks rain down trying to sort out all the admin work to secure the Visa's.

Tomorrow we ride to Brighton with Austin Vince to visit his friends at wemoto.com where we will buy our replacement parts for the bikes. There is talk of Austin bringing his video camera so hopefully we have something to post up, from what I can only imagine to be an amusing day tomorrow!

When we have more time to get caught up, Johnno will post about his time in Bolivia and Argentina. Then I'll throw up some photos of the bike shipping process and tell you all about how it went and who we used to ship them.

Bare with us while we get caught up with all this paperwork and stuff and hopefully we'll be back to the regular schedule soon. We should be ripping up the trails with the Rolling Hobo in very early June!

In the mean time here's a couple shots of my trip to Santiago from Oruro Bolivia. I smashed out 2500k in 4 days and got a pretty warm welcome from Bummers Johnno and Man Bun!

Iquique Chile
    [​IMG]

Although I've seen hundreds of photos of this hand, I had no idea where it was. When I saw it on the side of the highway in Chile I quickly pulled over to get some of my own.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    How long are you guys in the UK? Austin isn't far from me and I'd love to meet up and share a beer?
    motomaverick likes this.
  9. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's like I just made it through re-runs, and a new season is on... :beer
    JeepDawg and motomaverick like this.
  10. motomaverick

motomaverick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, we're trying to get caught up!

I ended up meeting bummers at the MTB tours office and so we got a room at the hotel with a bunch of guys on moto's from Brazil. They were going to park the bikes for a day and take a tour out in the Salar to avoid getting the shiny BMW's too salty. Kind of weak sounding but sensible!

The next morning was April 8th. I was up early to pack the bike so I could get an early start toward San Pedro de Atacama in Chile where I was to meet my folks at 3 p.m. in the town plaza on the 9th. This ride turned out to be one of the best bits of remote technical riding of the trip. The first 100km from Uyuni to Alota was a breeze of flat out gravel through the desert. In Alota I got fuel from the back door of someones house and had a great time handing out pins and Canadian flags to the kids that were hanging around. Supplied with beer, rum, 8l of water and 2L of spare gas I rode 20km down the road until I found a tiny track.

This is where the good stuff started. 350km or so of sand, rocks, washboard, untracked freeriding and amazing views of the Bolivian altiplano all at an altitude of 4000m minimum! The maps aren't good in this area but you can choose your own adventure pretty well and ride cross country for many kms at a time. The freedom of riding alone out here and not being entirely sure if its all going to be Ok was awesome! Just loving riding my bike and taking in the views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gueysers all over the place here.
    [​IMG]

Laguna Colorado, covered in pink flamingos
    [​IMG]

I found this sweet canyon out of the wind to camp in.
    [​IMG]

Laguna Verde
    [​IMG]

Just after this spot is the Bolivian border crossing. I had been free styling my route for the last 10km but knew I would need to get back to the road for the border. I handed the man all my documents including the import paperwork for the bike. Apparently the Aduana was 6km back down the road and I had ridden around it accidentally. He offered to hand it in to them tomorrow as I was running low on time to get to San Pedro! I gave him some Canada pins and plastered his office window with Motomaverick stickers!
    [​IMG]

Almost immediately the road comes to the edge of the mountains, turns to incredible smooth asphalt and drops 3000m down to San Pedro de Atacama. At the top it was about 4 degrees by the time i was as the Chilean immigration on the outskirts of town it was 28! Formalities complete at the border I headed into town. Not realising the town plaza was pedestrian only I rode right into the centre to find my Mum and Dad waiting!

They rented a wicked camper in Santiago and hammered it up the highway to San Pedro in only three days having a few adventures along the way. They have traveled all over the world using all manner of methods but the preferred one is a heavily modified Land Rover Defender with a custom camping body. They have been here in the 70's when they drove a Land Rover from Vancouver to Ushuaia and back over the course of 14 months.

No 4wd but the Wicked Bus had a sweet paint job!

[​IMG]
    SuperChuck, 10ecjed, ACR and 12 others like this.
  11. motomaverick

Oddometer:
    Alright guys, I've been trying to get caught up here but have some news.....

MY ENGINE HAS DIED!!

[​IMG]

We're in England and have been feverishly working away at preparing the bikes and us for the next leg of the journey across to Magadan. We were lucky enough to have been taken in by the legendary Vince boys of Mondo Enduro fame who couldn't have been more helpful, welcoming or entertaining!

We're now in Cambridgeshire staying with some relatives of mine who were willing to let us pull the bikes apart and do our valves and rebuild the suspension. Alan and Sue have been incredibly generous and understanding at two moto guys showing up and making a mess all over Alan's beautiful garage!

[​IMG]

My bike has approximately 30,000 kms on it. It started making a bit of what I thought was a valve noise in the last week or so before leaving South America. As you all know CJ and I spend as much time making sure our bikes are maintained as we do riding them so when we got to England first job was to get our visas sorted then tear into the bikes. We checked our valves, both bikes were exactly the same, a little tighter than spec but not too bad, we changed shims and brought it back to the loose side of spec on the exhausts which had moved more than the intakes, no surprises there. Unfortunately this didn't fix my noise so I changed the oil, to my horror the Dimple magnetic drain plug was covered in fine metal particles as was the filter. This oil has about 3000km (which is about the longest we go before we change it) and the last change was clean and clear of filings.

[​IMG]

So after some running around to get advice we took it to Bowers Yamaha in Bury St Edmunds. Andy the mechanic spent a long time listening and prodding and we came to the conclusion that the main bearings are shot.
    [​IMG]

Andy pulled it apart to find that the big end is gone and is likely the cause of the mains to fail. The piston has some scoring on it as does the cylinder but not too bad. Apart from the noise it was running well, only a matter of time before it went bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously this is heartbreaking that our beloved little Yamaha's may not be as bullet proof as we thought or mine has a manufacturing flaw in the bearing. Apart from the obvious problem of having no moto or transport it is going to take at least two weeks for the parts to arrive from Japan or the US, then the added time of putting it back together and breaking it in pushing us behind schedule for the Sibirsky route across Siberia.

This post is a bit of a cry for help in case anyone has contacts that can get OEM parts in Europe faster than that. Specifically the crank assembly which I can't seem to find anywhere in Europe.

Part numbers that I can't find:
    3D7114000100 CRANKSHAFT ASSY
    933062064800 BEARING 1
    933062065700 BEARING 1

There are obviously more parts required but these are the ones that must come from Japan as far as Yamaha are concerned because there doesn't seem to be stock available in Europe.

Ordinarily I would do the work myself but as the bike is still under warranty in Canada I'm hoping that Yamaha may be able to help cover some of the costs of the rebuild. If I do the work myself I risk jeopardising any good will they may have. Then there is the fact that we don't really have the tools for a drawing in the new crank.

[​IMG]

Any help is much appreciated!
  12. Critt

Critt Rambling on

Oddometer:
    Well that's rough. Sorry to hear that. Just remember: don't stress too much; adventures suck when you're having them. I wish you luck in finding the required parts on time.

First: if your mains went, then why do you need a new crankshaft? Just because the mains went doesn't mean that the big end is stuffed, LINK. If you have to split the case to get the mains, you should replace the conrod ANYWAY... but not the entire crankshaft assembly. Now... replacing the entire assembly is easier (less labour), but it can be done in other ways...

You don't necessarily need the whole crankshaft assembly. You can just buy the con rod, either OEM or aftermarket (which comes with its own bearing(s) and big end pin), have an engine mechanic split the crankshaft webs, and press in the new big end pin.

Pressing in new big end pin I think...
    [​IMG]

This is how the conrod will come. The top end in the WR is likely a "plain bearing", so no extra parts required. Your existing wrist pin will likely work fine. To save time and money, you piston and cylinder are also probably fine... just take a close look at the gouging and ensure none is too deep. If it is too deep, look for aftermarket piston. I'm not intimately familiar with the WR cyclinder, but you may be able to get an engine mechanic to 1. clean it up (honing); and 2. re-coat it with Nikasil (if it comes with Nikasil from stock).
    [​IMG]

Here's an aftermarket conrod option: LINK

Here's an aftermarket mains options: LINK

Here's one of the bearings in stock in UK: LINK

Here's a conrod near you: LINK

Not positive if this is the correct assembly, but: LINK

Not sure if they have stock, but worth a look: LINK

Often, you can find the comparable SKF / Koyo spec for main bearings and order from any normal bearing supplier/store.

PM me if I can somehow help expedite a part from Canuck land to England.
    CJ and motomaverick like this.
  13. Critt

Critt Rambling on

Oddometer:
    ^^ I'm updating links as I go, so watch the post as I find more stuff (F5 refresh).
    motomaverick likes this.
  14. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the breakdown. You are probably right that something wasn't quite right from the factory. WR's have been known to go much higher miles with no real issues.
    It is not uncommon to have identical machines where one has some issues while the other soldiers on even with similar maintenance.
    At least a rebuild shouldn't be a real bank buster. If you were dealing with a multi cylinder litre bike something like this could get real expensive.
    motomaverick likes this.
  15. BCBelstaff

BCBelstaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Major bummer John. At least it never let you down where it counted out in the middle of nowhere. Good time to punch it out to a 310 for the rest of the trip!
    motomaverick likes this.
  16. Junya

Junya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aw guys that sucks!! Really enjoying your trip to date. Well done.
    I tried to do a quick search in UK for used WRR's. Maybe someone will cough up parts/ Let you swap motors:-)/ who knows.

Example:
    Yamaha WR250R Travel Bike - High Wycombe, UK
    For Sale: Yamaha WR250R 2008 Travel Bike

**This is the 'R' Trailbike ....NOT the '250F' Enduro bike**

I am looking to part with my lovely travel bike. I bought it practically new as a Canadian import and it took me all the way to Magadan via the BAM Road and the Road of Bones and NEVER MISSED A BEAT! From Sea Level up to 4,500m and using fuel as low as 80 Octane with no issues.

It has 35,000km on the clock and was serviced on/before 3000miles everytime.
    My longest day in the saddle was almost 1000miles from Belarus border to Ferry at Calais. On a 250 - believe it!

I put a lot of effort into the build and only went with the best/proven products:

- Safari Tank in White (14L)
    - New Seat Concepts Seat (wide)
    - Bashplate from Flatlands Racing (easy oil change and plenty of protection)
    - Yamaha Genuine Rear Rack
    - Sandman CaseSavers (sprocket wear visibility + ability to use 14T front)
    - Acerbis Rally Handguards with fitting kit
    - FMF Fuel Commander (for dialing in more midrange or back to stock without uninstalling)
    - Exup removed from exhaust pipe and professionally welded
    - Wide sidestand foot
    - Spare Genuine Fuel Pump (£300 plus VAT). Not had any problem with either.

Optional parts (for additional fee):
    - MRA Road Screen

Bike comes with a set of NEW TYRES, all the original bodyparts and new brakepads, DID chain and rear sprocket.

My bike would make a great travel bike for anyone who wants to be able to ride highway, get great fuel efficiency (70 Imperial.mpg) and then ride just about any offroad you might want to throw at it. It's kind on it's chain, sprockets and tyres and only weighs 135kg!

I'm looking for £2,450 ono (moving house forces sale)

Call Ed on 07977487757

Technical Highlights:
    - 135kg wet weight
    - 350W electrical output (think heated vest, grips, GPS and extra chargers in your tankbag!)
    - Oil change at 3,000miles (1.4Ltr)
    - Filter changes at 6,000miles
    - Valve clearances not needed until 26,600miles!!!
    - 70mpg Economy
    - 90mph Top Speed
    - See more satisfied owners here: Owners Forum
    - For trips, hints and where I got all my modification ideas from: ADVRider Forum Megathread

Good Luck!!!
    CJ and motomaverick like this.
  17. motomaverick

Oddometer:
    Wow man, thank you for taking the time to put that together! The mains are shot as a result of the big end failing we think. That's a good thought with the crank, I had just assumed it would be quickest and easiest to replace the whole thing. I'm trying to replace with OEM parts as I really feel it should be covered under the Yamaha warranty and will have better luck with them if I can show that I replaced like with like.

Not a real bank buster but given Yamaha want $2200 in parts and the Russian visas are $1200 we're feeling a little financial pinch. Time however is the real enemy.

Yeah that's right. Could be a lot worse. Believe me I've been seriously thinking about the 310 or at least 290. But will it last?

10ecjed likes this.
  18. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have read where this is the best option, the Thumper Racing 280 kit.
    http://thumperracing.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97
  19. motomaverick

Oddometer:
    10ecjed likes this.
  20. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer: