MotoMavericks ride WR250R's RTW. Motos, Beer, Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by CJ, Sep 28, 2015.

1. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I finally caught up with reading and your pics. You guys have true spirit and heart! Between reading your RR, and watching the Hip's final concert Sat night, I'm dam proud to be a Canadian! Keep 'er comin' man. And CJ, heal up well buddy...you'll be back. If either of you are ever in New Brunswick, look me up. Be proud to have you, throw some back, go for a rip and......throw back some more.

Dan

BTW...this is THE best RR I've ever read
    SMURPH, CJ, riverman and 1 other person like this.
  2. motomaverick

motomaverick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an aussie, NOT a kiwi, big difference when it comes to sheep......;)
    BLucare, Red_dog, misterk and 7 others like this.
  3. Kink

Kink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That wonderful picture of the bike hanging in mid air and mid stream begs the question.....would you rather be good or lucky?
    Pretty neat solution to your problem.
  4. Kink

Kink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]a
    A Leatherman holster with genuine road rash. Outstanding.
    I'm really enjoying my vicarious adventure.
    Thanks for sharing it.
    LandsVW likes this.
  5. Kink

Kink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Russian logging truck.
    edressen likes this.
  6. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or...a parking lot in Compton
    Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  7. astroman1

astroman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK its been a bit quiet the last few days... John... CJ... any updates... we want more... How else am I going to get thru the work day and not work?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
  8. astroman1

astroman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ....crickets..............................................Hope this isn't a bad sign...in the meantime...:drink
    motomaverick and kalonji like this.
  9. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding this spring and found 2/3 of a leatherman. I mailed it in... Got a brand new updated model with a sheath in the mail. Leatherman rocks!
    motomaverick, Rippin209 and astroman1 like this.
  10. iSlanderYT

iSlanderYT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wrote to him to facebook and sent a email about a month ago... He sure is slow to answer :) (still no reply)
  11. motomaverick

motomaverick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20160825_192919.jpg Mongolia...Wow!

The riding has been incredible. Awesome camps spots almost every night.

However, three or four days ago I found another deep river/lake/swamp which comsumed me and the bike.

After a very tiring few hours of dragging it out of slippery deep mud and waist deep water I got it out only to find I have a leak in one of my bags from the slide in Kazakhstan and my pelican case with my laptop was full of water, then I spent a few hours drying air filters and the contents of my bags. While I had all my possessions out in the sun a local came along to see what I was doing. My laptop and all my electronics were out but he didn't seem to care about any of that, the first thing he picked up was my Kazakh whip! He said I should give it to him, I said no! As he was bumbling around inspecting the bike and the rest of my crap he stepped on my teacup and smashed it! I was pissed! I've carried it all the way around the world and some clumsy numpty broke it.

Finally i got the bike back together after a test start but this time it wouldn't fire.. took it all apart again and cleaned the brand new plug, dried the cylinder then put it all back together and repacked but still nothing and by now the battery was dead from all the attempts so pushed it for another hour through more swamps and mud to get it to hard ground where I got a local to give me a tow so I could clutch start it. Then it started hammering rain....

After a wet and cold few days with countless river crossings and a few flooded towns I got into Ulan Bataar last night to a much needed hot shower.

I've waited for a few days to give my laptop a chance to dry out but it's ruined, again. I hope Dell is as helpful this time around!

I won't be able to post many pics until I get the bloody thing fixed or buy a new one. Ffs

CJ made it back home safe and sound after an arduous and uncomfortable trip. I imagine he'll post up soon but I think he's enjoying just being back with his family in the land of plenty!

From here I've got a few days to Irkutsk where I need to make some decisions about what next. Riding in near freezing temperatures in leaky gear with soaking boots isn't all that much fun! So Magadan may have to wait until next year so CJ and I finish what we started together.
  12. Craig Cutright

Craig Cutright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can tell Dell that one of your readers is about to buy a WR250R depending on how Yamaha handles the warranty issue with your bike. I will also buy a Dell laptop ASAP if they take care of your laptop. The show MUST go on.....
    motomaverick and astroman1 like this.
  13. Rough ride

Rough ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah man. hold on and keep going. i am so envious!
    when the going gets tough ....the
    motomaverick likes this.
  14. burley

burley alaskan wanderer

Oddometer:
    Another great day living the dream,keep on rolling
    SMURPH and motomaverick like this.
  15. Abosit

Abosit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess it is the toughest ride of your life, and I know you are tough as few can imagine. Whatever you decide to do, will be after a lot of painful soul searching.
    Probably more difficult because you still can walk and ride and no accident holds you up. Being all by yourself is very different then being two. The loneliness in the wast landscape must make you feel so tiny on this earth and constantly evaluate your own abilities and how much you can push must be tremendous.
    Just to let you know you have my support and am sure you will make the right decisions. I have met you shortly in Peru, but I got a good feel about both of you.
    I admire your endurance and stamina, but I think most of us will admire more, if you make the right decision and know when to step back and postpone you goal.
    Like I said for CJ, you have your life ahead and no need for risking more then you can. We prefer to see you finish this at a later time then to read some unfortunate news. It has to be fun in the end.
    Still following you :)
    SMURPH, DC950, Samoadv and 5 others like this.
  16. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the teacup. I feel your pain.
    SMURPH, burley and motomaverick like this.
  17. burley

burley alaskan wanderer

Oddometer:
    You were pissed how many beers?:photog
  18. astroman1

astroman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John, how are you holding up? I expect we will get an update from Irkutsk? hope all is well... This ride report has been epic!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    Samoadv likes this.
  19. peterka

peterka n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, It was me on the Husky, you gave me motomaveric sticker. Mongolia was quite tough for our group, 3 broken legs, few twisted ankles, only one seriously broken bike - KTM690 :)
    Best regards! :)
    [​IMG]
    SuperChuck, arghhh, Brtp4 and 9 others like this.
  20. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:
    Time for me to get a quick post in. I haven't heard too much from Johnno the last couple days but I understand his Dell computer took another blow and this time it doesn't look good so I guess we won't be able to see photos or read about his adventures until he gets a new one.

I'll put up some photos of my journey home... none of which are epic landscapes in far away places or motorcycles on their sides in tight tracks.

This will probably my last post for a bit. I hope to return to my bike next season to ride on and get to Magadan with John. The good news is that when we return, we won't be so far behind schedule and we may have time to check out some of the countries south of Kazakhstan. I am already making loose plans with some other riders that hopefully we can meet up with next year. So there may be some interesting cameos in our thread next year!! We will post up any plans, gear changes and preparation details in this same thread so stay tuned. Also I imagine John will follow up with the last few weeks of riding Mongolia when he gets to a computer. In the mean time I'll show you what I've been up to for the last couple weeks in Canada as I get back into the groove of being home.

My last week in Rudny was much better than my first 3. I started to get back on my feet and walking again in this time so I was able to interrupt some of the boredom by going for short walks outside of the hospital. The first time I left my room is was a fairly strange experience. As I stepped into the hallway, I realized it was the first time I had stepped outside my little room for 17 days. I don't think I have ever moved so little in all my life before. As my pelvis and legs started to get a little more mobile I was able to walk to the store and then eventually a little further to a restaurant. As most could imagine, the food in a Kazakh hospital is not good! I was served some sort of porridge for Breakfast and Dinner and normally horse meatballs for lunch. Being able to walk to the restaurant for a real meal and a beer was a game changer for my general mental state. I was starting to loose my mind every time a bowl of slop arrived at my bedside! I also made some friends, a young girl who was trying to learn English found me when a friend of hers who worked in the hospital told her there was an English speaking patient in the hospital. She took me out for a meals, a haircut and to a Sauna to meet some of her friends.
    [​IMG]

I also spent lots of time with Dan, the only Doctor in the hospital who spoke English. He was the one who helped John get the extension of my Visa when I first arrived. It was nice to spend time with people after so many hours spent lying in my lumpy hospital bed. I can't thank this dude enough for all the help and support he gave. I would've been screwed without him! He will surely be a friend for life.

[​IMG]

As my flight home approached I had to start organizing the logistics of getting my bike stored, catching a train 900kms away to Astana and then the flight to the other side of the planet. It all went alot smoother than I expected with the help of all my new friends, the surgeon who fixed my shoulder drove me to the train ticket office and helped me book a bed on the ten hour train to Astana. Dan helped me communicate with Pasha, the hospital garage manager where my bike was parked. Pasha agreed to let me store my bike in a little side room of his garage after getting permission from the chief of the hospital. I wanted to bring my riding gear home because I thought it would be likely that I will change up when I return, and I also will want to do some riding at home if I find a bike. I bought a big rolling suitcase in town that would fit all my crap. I changed the oil on my bike with Pashas help, removed the battery, packed a few of my things and said farewell to my bike, another strange experience to think I was abandoning my trusty unit in a dusty room for the foreseeable future. Anyway, I was pleased, I had all my affairs in order and was set to make my journey home. I went for one last dinner with Dan, said goodbye to all my awesome nurses and fellow patients, many of whom had shared food and treats that their wives would bring for them and would check on me everyday! Some of the patients even called their kids and friends in to meet me so that hundreds of photos could be taken.

[​IMG]

Then Dan and my Surgeon (whose name is impossible for an English person to say) drove me to the train station and helped me with my heavy ass bag on the train. I don't know what I would've done without these guys! More photos were taken.

[​IMG]

The train ride was ten hours in a tiny cabin that I shared with 3 other people. The train was pretty fancy and had a bar car. I ordered three beers in the crowded car and drank them before passing out in my tiny bed. I arrived in Astana the next morning and found my hotel where I spend a couple of days sleeping and eating before my flight.

My flight home was not so bad as my wife had contacted the airlines and organized help with my baggage and wheelchair to push me to my connections. After three flights and 25 hours I arrived in Seattle where my wife and her friend were waiting for me. Finally made it, RESULT! Angela had a cooler full of ice and beer to greet me with in the car. I enjoyed one immediately to celebrate completing what had seemed like an impossible task. The next morning we completed the final leg of my journey with the 2 hour drive north to Vancouver. Pretty damn good to be home and get a big hug from my cat.

To try and step back and get some rest while I processed the overwhelming shit that I had endured over the last while, we went up to my buddies cabin for 5 days or so where more sleeping and eating was done.

Seeing as I don't have a 2 wheeled machine in my life for now, I have to settle with photographing my wife's car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anderson lake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I followed up with my Doctor when I got back, who sent me for Xrays. It turns out I managed to break my pelvis in three places and two of them were large cracks. He made it very clear how lucky I was! He was also very pleased with the surgery on my collarbone, and said it was done by a pro. Unfortunately it looks as though I tore the MCL in my knee during the crash so I am waiting for an MRI to decide what to do about it.

This past weekend was my youngest brother's birthday. My wife got him a ticket for the Five Finger Death Punch concert. No way I was going to miss that, broken pelvis or not! I did have to skip the mosh pit though, and let my little bros get in there without me. But we did get a picture with this cool old lady who was working at the show.

[​IMG]

I was asked by a friend who was showing some of his BMWs at a car show to take some photos for him. There were some impressive cars including a Pagani Huayra but only one bike..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next weekend it's a craft beer fest up in Whistler, then the following week it's a sailing trip with three boats in the coastal islands. Then it'll be time to grow up and get a job.

Anyway, that's it that all. I hope that life will allow me to return to Kazakhstan and beyond next spring/summer. In the meantime I'll have to find some sort of employment that will float me and maybe replenish my bank a little bit after ten months on the road. As next season approaches I will prepare new Visas for Russia, Kazakhstan etc., organize some parts that I will need to repair/replace on the bike and maybe think about a change in riding gear.

I'll leave with a huge thank you to everyone on the thread that offered words of encouragement and support for us at different points during our trip. If anyone is planning a Siberia ride next year please send us a message so we can try to organize some riding together. Also if anyone in the Vancouver area wants to come by for a beer shoot me a PM. Thanks everyone!