MotoMavericks ride WR250R's RTW. Motos, Beer, Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by CJ, Sep 28, 2015.

1. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to hear from you again! I especially like your vans. I have a dually and toyhauler I'm looking to sell so I can buy a Sprinter. Have you joined any Sprinter forums? If yes is there one you like best? I have a pair of Husqvarnas I want to travel with and a Jeep Wrangler I want to tow with my Sprinter. It's interesting to think about all the possibilities for a retired guy like me.

By the way, I will be in Baja starting the last part of March and I have five weeks to travel. I hope to bump into you guys down there. This is my first trip and I'll be on my 701 this time. If you are ever in Truth or Consequences, NM when I'm home please stop by. The T or C brewery is one great place for beers and it's only two and half blocks from my house, and there are lots of soaking spas just as close. I have a large fenced in drive/yard and a guest house you can use if it's not occupied.
  2. manybike

manybike Omnipresent

Oddometer:
    Hmm..all your leg hardware looks just like some of the bits I bought at Home Depot last week ! Thanks for sharing..you are living a life very few get to experience...enjoy and always be grateful. Keep the posts coming !
  3. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear everything has healed up,good luck on you next adventures,and welcome to the Island.Regardless of the doctors advice,there`s great mountain biking available in the Comox valley!
  4. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to hear from you glad life is good and you have healed up properly. Thanks for the Great RR and the update. Sounds like you are still enjoying the freedom of the road. GL in all you do. Thanks again.
    CJ and Beenriding like this.
  5. Knobbly Studios

Knobbly Studios Knob

Oddometer:
    Wow, just finished you guys' "old" RR. Legend status! This may be my favorite ride report of all time. I am a dick for not finding it sooner. I am happy to hear you made it back to 100% health, CJ!
    I wish you both durable health and happiness and I hope to bump into you somewhere out on the trail. I also hope you make it to Magadan someday. No more broken body parts though!

Thank you for the hours of great infotainment!
    CJ likes this.
  6. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second time reading your report and it was just as good as the first time. Thanks for bringing us along and good luck wherever the road takes you!
  7. fzrcraig

fzrcraig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    54 pages of awesomeness. Thank you, guys.
    CJ likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:
    Cheers! There is some ADV plan brewing for this summer maybe. I hope I can pull it all together.

I have another friend in Silver Springs, NM so if we cross that way I will definitely try to come through for a visit and a pint or two!

Cheers. Yes mountain biking in the valley is first class. I can't wait to explore the island on an enduro as well.

Second time?! that's an unbelievable complement!! Glad you enjoyed it!
    shuswap1 likes this.
  9. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing! Just finished your report and inspired to take me WR all around the western US. What a saga!
    Redneck-Hippie, Beenriding and CJ like this.
  10. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you guys watching the HBO Chernobyl miniseries? I'm watching it and have to admit I thought of this thread. I highly recommend it if you get a chance
    CJ, 2hot2handle and Dirtleg like this.
  11. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New to the biking scene!

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun time!
  12. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:

Fantastic! I enjoyed it so much I watched it twice in a row. I think. It's taken he spot of my all time favorite TV show.

Also, my wife and I are touring around the UK at the moment in our van. If anyone in These parts wants to meet for a pint or two send me a message or email peakecj@gmail.com. I'll be in Europe starting September or so.
    Jersey87 and DelHess like this.
  13. bonneville53

bonneville53 kiwi

Oddometer:
    Struth mate. I have been following you pair and being in awe of where you are going. Can't think of another feed that made me feel a little scared every time I opened it. Love your work. Stay cool and look after yourselves and your loved ones. I like the fact that whilst beer is better cold, it doesn't matter if it is a little bit warm. Mount up.
    CJ likes this.
  14. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came across your RR and binged the whole thing over the past few days. Man, you guys have done it all!

I read this little book by two guys named Charlie and Ewan. They rode big heavy expensive motorcycles, sticking mainly to developed roads, WITH the help of a support team.

They wouldn't even drink a whole glass of fermented horse milk, but you guys downed it on multiple occasions like it was Canadian pilsner!

Sounds like you guys are in a good place now. Got me this insatiable craving for fizzy yellow beer though and I can't put my finger on why.

Even bought a case of Labatt thinking of you. I hope that's not offensive... we don't get your other (no doubt better) Canadian pilsners down here in Baltimore.

Cheers mates, and roll on!
    Chuck
    CJ and dbradford like this.
  15. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:

Cheers lads! Very cool whenever I log into to browse through ADV to find people are still reading and enjoying the ride report.

@SuperChuck I was in Baltimore not long ago, I was staying with Bummers from this thread (with the KLR) in Anapolis (Well really we were in Mayo if you know where that is?). My wife and I shipped our Sprinter from Baltimore Port to England.

And speaking of Charlie and Ewan and support crews, I've managed to get myself involved in a very cool project that is being filmed by the Claudio from the Long Way series.

[​IMG]
  16. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool, hope you enjoyed Maryland! There's not much (legal) dirt riding around here, but we're only a few hours from some great spots in PA/NJ/WV.

That's super cool you're teaming up with Claudio! What's the new project?

And how's the best way for us to follow along on your Sprinter travels (assuming you're blogging, etc)?

Cheers,
    Chuck
  17. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moin CJ,

Sounds great. Can you give us some infos about your project with Claudio?

Greetings from the hot north of Germany. Yesterday we had the hottest day ever since the start if temperature recordings in Germany.
    42,6 degrees - in GERMANY........
  18. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    CLAUDIO! that guy’s the magic.
  19. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:
    Yes it was a real unexpected treat to spend a weekend with Claudio! The Long Way series was for me the catalyst for my interest in off road riding in Russia.

The man in the blue shirt sitting on the trailer in the photo is the one and only Gary O'Keefe of Bam Riders and 1 Eye on the World fame. I'm not sure if they've got threads on here of their trips but they are a group of nutcases mainly based out of Ireland and England. If you've seen any of their videos (if you haven't you should check out some of the videos on the link I posted) They go hard out there and their trips are normally full of interesting calamities.

Anyway, long story short, while in the UK I called my old pal Gary to see if we could meet up and he told me the he was building a van up to go to Russia. I offered to help and took the ferry across to Ireland. When I arrived it was evident that he left out some information regarding the size of this endeavour. The reason for the van is to act as a support vehicle for a 6 team motorcycle challenge to ride across Lake Baikal in the winter. Gary has had several bad moto accidents that have left his knees and ankles in pretty rough shape so he's mostly given up riding so he'll be driving the support vehicle.

The vehicle of choice is an Uaz Buhanka. Which is summed up perfectly by Gary :

I have been put in charge of building this crazy thing from the ground up! A massive project indeed but progress is steady.

Step one: Cut the back off

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the project suffered an annoying set back recently because a manufacturer that had led them to believe they would be providing bikes and support, backed out apparently quite unexpectedly. At this stage the team is still without machines. There is a plan B to use rented bikes from a source out in Russia but obviously the team is hoping to peak the interest of one of the manufacturers to get involved. My finger are crossed that one of the upcoming guys like AJP or SWM will step up!

The Baikal Project will be filmed and put together by Claudio Von Planta and aired somewhere as a mini series. Should be awesome!
    BrixNaix, DelHess, Jersey87 and 7 others like this.
  20. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Looks brilliant,hope it all comes together,good luck!