Motoport gear crash tested at 70 mph

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by crashmaster, Sep 19, 2009.

1. ApexPredator

ApexPredator n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings, FF's!

Just signed on from FJRForum to view this topic, as it was linked to there by a member who has arranged a Motoport group buy. If we can get sales of 20 minimum for each kevlar item (jackets, pants, gloves) we will enjoy a 15% discount. Feel free to register and participate.

I realized the superiority of Cycleport gear soon after I picked the FJR as my motobike of choice, ordered a set for me and my wife, and have been ATGATT with it for over 4-1/2 years now, but have never been down to date. I absolutely have faith in it, and have developed a personal friendship with Wayne as a result of pimping his wares to all who will listen.

My question is to the OP: The biggest criticism of Kevlar gear from the leather-clad Luddites is that it will make you tumble in a get-off, where leather does not (so much). You say that you tumbled, so the issue arose.

Understanding that everybody would tumble if they get going sideways to the long axis of their body, and tend to not tumble if they keep sliding head-or-feet first, did you feel surprised by the fact that you tumbled, like the Kevlar grabbed the asphalt more so than if you'd been wearing leather? TIA....
  2. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    You can call them if you'd like @ 1-800-777-6499.
  3. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to that group buy? I'd be in for a jacket and gloves.

thanks
  4. ApexPredator

ApexPredator n00b

Oddometer:
    Here, but you have to be a registered member to view that area of the forum. New members must post in the "New Forum Members" category before they can post elsewhere but, other than that, it's pretty easy....
  5. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    wouldn't that be good to tumble more? I was in Judo for years where we spent probably 25 minutes out of every 2 1/2 hour workout practicing falling. The more you could spread your fall out the less harsh the impact was. I know if I jumped off a 20' high buiding onto flat ground I'd immiediately crumple into a few forward rolls afer I absorb ed as much of the impact with my legs.

Wait ... I get it .... tumbling is good IF you question whether or not your gear can handle the abrasion of sliding on the same spot for a while. But sliding in the same position for as far as possible is good IF you don't run into a fixed object first (or slide off a cliff) ... imagine wiping out at 70 mph while skiiing on ice - the fact that you slide a long ways is good but only if you don't slide into a tree at 40 mph. Sorry I'm just musing out loud. So I think slippery is better in some situations and sticky in others. Ideal would be to have 2 different materials on your forearms and while sliding on them you could turn them one way to slow down faster to avoid hitting a gaurd rail at the danger of tumbling/more abrasion.
  6. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    wrong, ideal is to keep the rubber down ... :)
  7. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    That is kind of had to argue with :)
  8. BentAero

BentAero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vince,

I was convinced that Motoport was the way to go after a riding buddy hit a deer early last summer while riding two-up.

50 mph cruising, deer shot out of woods and rider hit it straight on, never even had time to crack the throttle, much less slow or take avasive action.

Pillion was instantly spit off the bike. Rider held onto the death wobble for a 100' or so before being ejected.

Pillion was wearing jeans and a nice Hein Gerrick textile coat. Pilot was wearing one-piece Motoport suit.

Hein-Gerrick coat destroyed, burned thru coat, burned thru elbow pad, burned into elbow. Owww! (her legs didn't fare quite so well in jeans)

Motoport suit burned thru outer portion in one spot, torn/abraided in a few others. Pilot did not have a mark on him. (BTW, this was a very old motoport suit)

After seeing first hand what was left of their gear (and the bike) I ordered a Air Mesh Kevlar jacket, so now the three 'textile' coats I already have are dust collectors.

I think I'll be joining that FJRiders group buy to get some pants.

BTW, love the Baja thread. I'm plotting and scheming to join a Husqvarna group ride from Tecate to Cabo in late December. Have a ball on your trip!
  9. kraher

kraher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else having trouble with the link? Do I have to post in "New Forum Members" just to view it? Or just to post?

It says the link might be broken or outdated?

Thanks.
  10. nashopolis

nashopolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you get the chance to think in some crashes and can do something with that knowledge

my experience with crashing - I was riding one minute and the next I was in a ditch wondering what happened

I really want to do some more practice fall training, did a it whilst i took Aikido. Muscle memory and all that
  11. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    I've had both experiences ... where I'm down on the ground before I even knew I had crashed, and having a full second (that seems like a loooong time) knowing a crash was inevitable. On an "in between" crash - I did a perfect Judo roll out long before I could have said the word roll out ... In that case it was instictive and I even heard my sensei's voice in my head - "... chin on chest, right shoulder, slap the map ICHI!, NEE!
  12. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:

Yes, you have to be a member to see it... Some forums... :)

I registered, posted in the new members sections, and then signed for gloves and jacket (were about 4 or 5 of each, pants, jacket, gloves). I will start a thread here to let other inmates know about this offer. If there's interest we may try to coordinate things with the FJR and other forums via email.
  13. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I do know that I did not tumble until I started sliding sideways. FWIW, I think the kevlar mesh is actually a little slicker than race leathers. Another thing is that the asphalt on Mex 1 is anything but smooth. Its more like a gravel road that had some tar thrown on it to hold the rocks together. I feel that in those conditions the leathers might have been shredded unless they were the very top quality stuff that pro racers wear. As far a tumbling is concerned, I slid along nice and smooth until I got turned sideways.
  14. afweinie

afweinie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you for the review. I picked up an Ultra II Air Mesh suit last year. I like this thing a lot. No 70 mph get-offs, but I did go ass over tin can in the west TX trails on KTM 450 with only a small mark on my shin. I did not upgrade to the quad armor, but I may do so in the future. I was not really going all that fast but there are a lot of decent sized rocks all over the trails (and the reason I went down to begin with). The pants and jacket had no damage at all... just picked up some dirt that washed out in the laundry. Definately two thumbs up from me too. A bit on the bulky side, but if I saw it as a fashion show I'd probabaly be wearing shorts and flip-flops.:D

I also found your account of the gloves very interesting. I need to look into them a little further.

The boots is what I find the most useful, but I don't ride dirt at the moment, so i think they will wait until I can afford a dual-sport or another dirtbike. I have been considering the Stich Combat Touring Lites with the streetbike but I'm not sure what I want yet.
  15. greybeard146

greybeard146 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good thread this.

Crashmaster: good job on surviving such a terrible 'off'...and what a good report for Motoport gear too. :thumb

I think my search for a mesh jacket has just ended. :clap

Ukemi...the art of falling down safely! :wink:
  16. greybeard146

greybeard146 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that cactus giving us all the finger? :eek1
  17. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Now that you mention it, I think its giving the salute to someone for sure. :rofl
  18. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bit of masking tape and back on the road; lucky guy you are. Good stuff helps.
  19. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big two thumbs up on Motoport gear :clap .

P1010008.jpg

I own the 3/4 air mesh kevlar jacket/pants with liners with tri-armor and there kevlar gloves :deal .

Great investment IMO

:freaky
  20. scubasimon

scubasimon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I chose to go with Motoport gear as well when I first started getting into motorcycles last year. I was going to get one from the shops here being concerned about safety. However, when I read the reviews and did some research on gear, I was convinced that Motoport offered the best compromise between safety and comfort.

I went with the waist cut air mesh kevlar jacket, air mesh pants and gloves. I also wear my sidi b2 boots and shoei hornet-ds helmet every time I ride.

Most people who see me on the road do stare because it is so hot and humid here. Many riders who ride with me ask me the same question over and over...isn't it hot? Actually...it is a lot cooler than it looks :)

Most importantly though, my gear protected me from a low speed fall. While the speed wasn't fast, the surface I fell on was sharp and I slid on this sharp edge for a few meters with no injury whatsoever. Impressive.

I also fell many times last weekend while dirt riding with absolutely no injury.

So if anyone is contemplating getting gear and is worried about heat...don't...cos this stuff works great!