Motoport gear crash tested at 70 mph

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by crashmaster, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Hey Scuba - great to hear your thoughts. I'm in the USA right now contemplating what gear to get but will be back in Kuala Lumpur with the same weather as more or less next month. Does the armor itself breath? Or do you feel air going thru it but no air where the knee/shoulder/elbow armor etc is?

thanks

rick

PS do you dive? Ever go to Perhentian?
  2. VaderSS

VaderSS Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer:
    The armor has holes in it so air can flow. The only thing that ever gets warmer on me is my knees, but only in the hottest part of the summer, and never that bad. I have the quad armor in a Kevlar mesh 2-piece suit.
  3. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you like the fit and comfort of the gloves. I just bought their jacket & pants & didn't realize they made gloves. Are they bulky? Do they breathe well? Would they only be good in cool or warmer weather? Thanks
  4. honda_silver

honda_silver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Motoport

1) Kevlar jacket and pants and recently upgraded to quad-armor
    2) Rain gear jacket (w/liner) and pants
    3) Summer Kevlar gloves
    4) Winter Kevlar gloves (I do not know why they do not appear on the website ... I called Wayne)

The Summer Kevlar gloves are not bulky and breath very well ... hey have venturi vents above the knuckle protector.

The Winter Kevlar gloves do not have the knuckle protector or vents. The Winter gloves are bulkier than the Summer gloves ... it took about 2-3 weeks for the gloves to breakin at the base of the fingers. Since I live in Texas cold is a relative term .... when I road low 20s and below ... I added a silk liner underneath the glove and was very comfortable.
  5. MitchNJ

MitchNJ Lets Ride!

Oddometer:
    Hey crashmaster

Thanks for the write up and glad you're okay. I just got my Air Mesh Kevlar pants and jacket w/armor. I've been shopping for the best ankle / foot protection. The knee and shin armor run within 4 inches of the ankle. I guess it works well with the motorcross boots?

6. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to order a set of those gloves right away. They look like exactly what I have been looking for.
  7. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for real world results!
  8. scubasimon

scubasimon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey Rick. sorry i missed this post. haven't been in here all that regularly.

did you end up getting the stuff? the armour (as described by another poster) is breathable so they should be fine. it gets warm at the traffic lights but is great once on the move. that is to be expected i suppose.

yes, i do dive but haven't done so for a long while. will get back to it shortly. oh...and i'll be riding through KL with some friends soon. am going on a long ride around Malaysia and setting off this Sunday.
  9. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:

If you wear tall boots all the time you are supposed to trim the lower knee pad up to clear the boot. With the tallest boots though, there might not be much left of your knee pads :-).

In my case I normally wear shorter street boots so not willing to cut the pads. When I wear my tall DS boots with these pants, the knee/shin pads slip over the boot top well enough and all is snug in place. You can adjust the calf Velcro for the right snugness.
  10. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    this thread finally sold me on the air mesh kelvar,.,.,.,.i got it and i hope to never test it.
  11. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a crash in their tri armor pads? I originally bought the quad armor,but cut it off and now just use the tri armor . I could see that the quad would offer much better protection,but I hated the fit with it,and decided not to sell my gear only after I removed it.
  12. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

I have the stretch kevlar street jeans, but with quad amour, full shin/knee pads. The bottom of the pads go inside my SIDI Crossfires, just like when you wear MX full shin and knee pads, it works just fine and IMO is actually better because the knee pads being tucked inside the top of the boot will not shift in a crash.

I have been using the same gear for the last 40,000 miles and almost 2 years riding the Americas and it is still in great shape. i have had several other get offs in the time, mostly low speed, off pavement and have not been injured, mostly due to my gear I believe. I basically live in this riding gear almost everyday. It will not need to be replaced anytime soon. FWIW.
  13. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ouch ...
  14. KungBoa

KungBoa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you've had a second crash exactly like that one with leather gloves to verify this?
    Incredible that not a single racer wears these gloves or this stuff for that matter.
  15. KungBoa

KungBoa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From pictures the quad pants armour looks very restricting.
  16. beck49

beck49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went down at 40-50 mph with the stretch kevlar pants (ground hog attacked my front wheel). Tri armor worked fine for me. I'm thinking of getting a fresh set. Wayne says they are improved. I will say I have tri armor in both stretch kevlar pants and jacket and the fit in both is extremely comfortable for me. Good luck.
  17. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    After looking at their website, I'd like to see a mesh jacket owner's review on the liner/s. I really like my RevIt gear, but having the waterproof liner on the inside of the jacket is nuts. When It rains, I'm dry inside but noticeably colder due to evaporative cooling of the waterlogged jacket. Seems bass-ackward to me.
    In inclement weather I wear my Olympia AST, with or without the inner liner, and it keeps me dry. The outer jacket does not absorb water, so it is easier to stay warm inside it.
    So how about it? Is the liner truly 'waterproof"? Do you stay warm, did you put in both liners, how heavy was the rain, what was the temperature?

1911fan
  18. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I didn't care for the jacket liner. It's waist length, but my Marathon was 3/4 length so there's a gap between my pants and jacket liner. It did keep me warm, but I chose to use a Rev'it rain jacket over it instead.
  19. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    just a thought on the quad armor vs tri -armor

I have the tri armor and added a hit air airbag vest to wear over it, about the same price as the quad armor upgrade, and I can wear it over other gear
  20. ianbh

ianbh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the liners but never used them. I like to have everything in one bag and they were a bit bulky. I pack FrogTogs instead.

In fact if anyone wants a set of liners size large, I'll sell them for half price.
    Ian, Iowa