Motoport Kevlar first impressions (long, many pics...)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gringo, May 18, 2005.

1. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I specified the exact length front and back I wanted in an email I sent with my measurements. I just measured a softshell jacket I really loved and copied it.
  2. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN crown bearing @ 60k, clutch @ 69k,HyperPros @ 70k Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might change my mind tomorrow. Can shirt be worn every day?
  3. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't get caught up with the jacket names. It's called a shirt but make no mistake it's a beefy jacket. I don't know why they called it a shirt but it's the heaviest beefiest jacket I've ever seen. Makes the badlands look like a fashion toy. It's bulky l, but with all the pockets and belts and flaps removed it's more streamlined. Ice worn mine everyday for over a year. Zero wear on it. I also like the stretch sides for a closer fit. Also on the back too shoulder blade area is all stretch too.
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  4. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had my Cycleport for going on 10 years now, and it is the single best suit I have. Super snug all day in rainy 40 deg conditions, as comfy as it gets in 95 deg heat (can you ever really be comfortable in that?) and great for everything in between. With quad armour all around it's bulky, but I feel more secure in it than any of the others I have. I've used it off road, canyon carving and multi-day touring trips and it's great. The color is fading a bit, but otherwise it's 100%. The only issue I had was the pants liner started leaking at the crotch (of course), but Wayne replaced it no charge. I love my leathers, but for me this suit is the benchmark for all others. Worth every penny.
    mbabc, Trailrider200 and regnaDkciN like this.
  5. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    switched order from HK to Marathon (HK uses stretch on sleeves). Will, likely, have buyer's remorse that i didn't get Shirt.
  6. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you discuss your riding and expectations with someone at Motoport? Wayne made some suggestions for my first suit 12 years ago. I didn't change a thing when I ordered replacements last year.
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  7. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Marathon isn't a bad jacket, I just chose shirt because I hate snaps and Velcro and like quick on and off gear.
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  8. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    talked with Rob. He only suggested to switch from HK to Marathon. Would've went with HK but, i think the stretch sleeves would've been too hot for ATL summer.
  9. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    btw nice bike
    cielo likes this.
  10. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    Motoport Marathon mesh w/stretch trim arrived. Wore in cool weather with electric liner. Think it's going to be perfect in ATL summer commutes. I thought I was going to have mesh trim, also, but I think the stretch trim is going to be more comfortable. I think Rob made that call correctly.
  11. owrstrich

owrstrich F O T G

Oddometer:
    greetings...

this thread... with all these views and all these replies... and then this thread goes dark...

whats the deal with motoport these days... are they 100%... have others taken over the kevlar market...

j o
  12. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was there yesterday. There busy and cranking. They have been doing mostly police gear lately. Got departments all over the globe and are trying to catch up with that and have been slow on production because of it and not pushed the retail end as much. Or so its been explained to me.
    I was in there to get an alteration done. Going back in tomorrow for a zipper replacement. My 5 year old suit is finally showing signs of daily use. Thinking im in need of a new one. Over 200k on it now. Been a good suit. But stuff is starting to not work so well. Got a few used jackets inbound to build like my last one. Should be fun setting up the perfect suit again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve Glenn likes this.
  13. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious - Besides zipper, what "wear" is starting to show?
  14. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    I had a zipper pull wear out on my pants, and had it replaced. While the pants were at Motoport, I had them replace the bright yellow reflective panels on the ankles as well, as they had faded and cracked after so many miles.
    Love my gear, and am happy to replace zippers, etc., when necessary, as Motoport does a beautiful job and uses the same Kevlar thread to retain the unmatched protection that their gear offers.

15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. My 10yr old pants are heading in for a tune up. I couldn't imagine replacing them at this point. Lots of patina and miles. Love them.
  16. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a detailed writeup of the work ive had done to my jacket. Understand that im very hard on my suit. In no way do i try to be nice to it. After all the work ive had done to it this is a test piece to me and i abuse it. Have crashed in it. And leave it on the floor next to the bike when i go out. Its just too weird looking for anyone to take. Lol. The short version is its been torn apart and put back together by motoport at least 5-7 times. This takes its toll. The inner liners are worn out. The stretch has faded to an almost grey green color, but the mesh is still nice and black. I believe they have better die now but my older stretch has all faded after about two years in the sun. I have worn out the main zipper which should be replaced also but it still works. Ive had the reflective replaced 3 times and its due again.
    Id call this all "patina" also but i ride my bike for work and am in sales. So i need to be presentable. The suit looks like its 5 years old. so its time to refresh it. I will be getting the same jacket remade to the same specs as the old ones final setup. My pants are still going strong and looking good. Although the zippers too are beginning to wear down. But for years of on and off 5-20 times a day im very happy. This suit has held up to my daily abuse 2-3 times longer than any other ive had. And is by far the best thing Ive ever been down in.

17. freebird6

freebird6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just winter. Slow time. Got to take mine, wash it and apply the fabric protector.
  18. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    What is everyone using for fabric protectant? nev'rwet, or scotchguard, or...?
  19. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wayne has always recommended the 303 products. it will last a few yrs. nylon will still fade in the sun over time. My older cordura 1000 jacket faded. just used the RIT synthetic dye. Looks new again.
  20. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ordered a mesh jacket and pants about 3-4 weeks ago. I've got a multi-day ride coming up starting this coming Friday - sure hope I get my gear by then :wings