Motoport Kevlar first impressions (long, many pics...)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gringo, May 18, 2005.

1. mwarnick1

mwarnick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this the recommended stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/303-30616-Upholstery-Protector-Repellent/dp/B0000AY69N

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Motoport shop recently. My new gear looks great and I'm looking forward to the first ride in a couple weeks. They had quick turnaround time from order to delivery. It was less than three weeks.

Wayne gave a great tour and also a show and tell on crashed suits. My wife started looking a little green during the discussion :D
  2. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    The 303 is cheaper at my Ace hardware. If you have one nearby, you may want to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. mwarnick1

mwarnick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that the right stuff? I wasn't sure if it comes in different styles or types. Thanks for the help.
  4. maritan

maritan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3

My wife and I took the same tour last October, IIRC, and Wayne showed us a bunch of crashed suits too. Funny thing, my wife also started looking a little green during that portion. She is petrified of motorcycles (she lost two cousins to motorcycle accidents), but to her credit, as long as she knows I'm being safe and sensible, she has never said no to anything motorcycle related. That includes track days... :clap

Love that woman.

ETA: Love my Motoport suit. Could not have asked for a better experience all around.
  5. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes,that's the stuff,I bought the 32 ounce for a few bucks more,as I have a full suit and a second jacket.

JR356
  6. mwarnick1

mwarnick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the confirmation on the 303.

After Wayne's lesson on riding gear, I asked my wife if she's going to change her Klim and Rev'it gear to Motoport. She said 'nope - Motoport gear isn't cute enough'..... but at least she did decide to order better Rev'it armor for her 'cute' summer Rev'it jacket.
  7. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a problem with the 'mesh' fibers poking your arm around the inside elbow area? If yes, how did you solve the problem?
    Thanks!
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like my wife and I are joining the Motoport fan club. I just bought a (barely) used Ultra II Mesh Jacket and Pants on ebay. I had wanted a Marathon - seller listed his as a Marathon with quad armor. Unfortunately when they arrived, I discovered neither was true. I did decide to keep it though as it was a great price. I have not ridden in it yet as it seems I had an argument with a tree while riding my 300XC (not wearing the Motoport - was wearing "typical" off road gear) yesterday, and the tree won. Anyhow, after seeing how stout this gear is, my wife agreed to order some Ultra II Mesh pants, with stretch back. Plan is once we see how that works for her, to get a jacket on order for her.

The only women specific jacket i see on the Motoport web site is the Monroe. My wife does not want the bulk etc. of the Ultra II jacket - so the Monroe, a properly fit Marathon or a Riva seem to make sense for her. Any ladies here that can chime in with recommendations? My wife is fairly thin and tall if that helps any.
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw that one and almost told the seller. You should work on getting a little bit of a refund. Ultra II is one thing, but quad armor is another.
  10. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just give them a call. Two of the girls that work there have jackets made that she would probably like. There the women's cut jacket with different pocket options if i remember right. But they can direct you to some pics. They had pink and black accents if i remember right. Not sure if they still have pink though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried. He was not so easy to deal with. As I did get it for a great price, even if it was the tri armor, I decided to not screw with it any more - left him negative feedback though. I hate to do that, but he deserved it.

Thanks Fun...I did as you suggested. I didnt get the name of who I spoke to, but she recommended the Marathon particularly once I mentioned my wife was a passenger, not rider. My wife does like the looks of the Marathon so I think that is what we will go with. the color combos and options make decision making on it a lot harder however! I am suggesting she go with black mesh, with the orange stretch thats under the arms etc.. It would go rather nicely with my 990! She's not sold on that yet though.
  12. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a pack of quad armour from Wayne a few months back. He's got limited supply bc it's no longer available, but you may be able to still get some. It was ~$200 for a full set.
  13. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im currently testing the new quad armor he has. It does not seem to breath as well as the old orange stuff but seems to absorb impact a bit better. Ive yet to fall in it but the few times ive fallen on my knees back to back with the old stiff trying to test it it seems to be a bit better. Ive tested it in 80 degree weather and the older stiff seems to be just a tad cooler. Still not sure which ones i like better. Gonna get a whole new quad set here soon when i order my new suit. Will have better reviews in a year.
  14. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    Hi I have a cordura vs stretch question, which fabric flows more air? I know this seems silly like I should just get Kevlar mesh, but I don't want the stiffness nor the abrasiveness. I am not sure I want it to flow that much air and cause dehydration. I have a pair of stretch pants that I love, so I know how that fabric breaths it can be a little hot at times. Does anyone know if the 1000d cordura flows more than the stretch? I am looking at ordering a jacket, not sure which fabric though... thanks for any thoughts
  15. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personal opinion having owned both stretch and air mesh motoport gear and tons of cordura, I would say just plain motoport stretch Kevlar does breath better than a plain piece of cordura. I did a super scientific test by putting the material over my mouth and blowing out. It was easier to exhaust the air with the stretch Kevlar. Personally I love the stretch material and Wayne can add vents anywhere you want it to.
  16. DEdge

DEdge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Tiggleswerth, Can't comment on the Cordura, no experience with it. I have the Marathon Air mesh with quad armor and ride on Hispaniola island between 80 and 100 F year round. It is all mesh, is comfortable and vents tremendously. Over 90 wear a cooling vest underneath. Great product and the best have used so far. Also have the pants that are a combination of stretch and mesh. Why not ask Wayne to send you samples of the fabrics and colors?
    2011 R1200 GS & 2004 R1200C.
  17. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in South Texas and the air mesh jacket was absolutely perfect for commuting or 30 minute rides. Soon as you go more than an hour you are so dehydrated it's absolutely mind blowing. Breathability with vents that you can open or close is the way to go. I sold my motoport air mesh jacket. I regret it to this day. I've spent so much money finding the perfect jacket.

I believe the identical jacket I owned but in stretch Kevlar will be in my future.
  18. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    Thanks for the replies!

I did find this from 2011...

19. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    Motoport is the only company I know that puts protection over promotion. Every other mass-market operation misinforms the public by implying protection not necessarily proficient due to various 'Euro' standards. Its certainly true that Motoport clothing is for troglodytes and curmudgeons who won't attract Biker fashionitsas at the Rock Store. But better emotional pain than physical pain!
  20. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride today in Nor Cal with my Motoport mesh pants and jacket. temps ranged from 62-103f. I wore a tech shirt and a long sleeve t-shirt when temps were cold, plus my mesh jacket and HitAir bag vest. When temps got 90+ I added kewl vest. I am very impressed with the temp range I can wear my mesh MP gear. I also noticed when temps were 90+ my legs were not hot at all. Something to do with the black mesh material that does not attract the UV rays - impressive. Even though the material is mesh I am going to make this my year 'round' riding gear.