Motoport Kevlar first impressions (long, many pics...)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gringo, May 18, 2005.

1. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had the Ultra Mesh jacket and pants with the light weight liner on order for 9 weeks. Hopefully I will get them this week!! After reading these reviews I am anxious to see them.
  2. LarryGS

LarryGS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the chance to test my Motoport stuff in the rain, yesterday. Rode for 200 mi. in pretty heavy rain yesterday, in both Ultra Kevlar pants and jacket, with liners in both. It was kind of chilly out, so I stopped and went throught the pain of putting both in and was pretty happy that I did. The outer layers of gear got sort of drenched, but the inner layers stayed warm and dry. I think I stayed more comfortable than in my Aerostich stuff, though feeling about a lbs. heavier than when I started. I think that was because the rain didn't stop the whole ride and I hadn't done the Scotchguard treatment expecting that kind of soaking. Not sure that it would have made much of a difference, anyway? the gear is getting the "air-dry" treatment now, I think I'll be happy with the stuff in the rain. 'Stitch stuff is gonna go on fleamarket soon.
  3. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:

Ooo... I'm looking for an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit (40R, but could go a bit bigger as well). I actually have a WTB ad in the fleamarket, but just thought I'd cover all my bases. :D
  4. Whammo

Whammo Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer:
    Gringo,
    Motoport should put you on the payroll. I'm gonna measure myself for some kevlar pants this weekend.
    BTW have you heard of them doing a kev/mesh kev combo on a single piece of gear? Might be good for pants.
  5. mogwai

mogwai humorless prick

Oddometer:
    I've been riding with the Ultra II cordura jacket for about a month now and am very satisified with my decision to ditch the Darien. Much more comfy in warmer temps and the liner makes it just as warm as an unlined darien for cool mornings. We've been very dry, and this new coat hasn't seen a toad choker yet.

I'm impatient with all the zippers and velcro, but the jacket gives me more options than any other I've owned.
  6. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, I ordered mine (years ago) and asked them to leave off the little logo on the crotchflap, which they did. I think it look a lot better.
  7. MikeCont

MikeCont Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer:
    I bought Motoport stuff.....Kevlar UltraII in safety yellow with extra reflective tape, and black pants, ditto....actually I can't remember what the pants are made of, but they look like Gringo's. As an aside, Gringo is one tough customer.
    I went through the website thing. I talked to Wayne. I waited for more than 8 weeks. I was a noob and didn't know what to expect....what was good or bad. I just researched on the net and, as I recall, I used the recommendation of Jeff Dean (yup, he writes in ON, but also has a good website). I called Wayne, and he helped me through the measurements. The suit came and I put it on and rode. I rode with the liners in 30 degree weather. I rode this week to Utah and Idaho in temperatures up to 105. I have ridden in the rain with no inner rain gear on. I think the stuff stands up and will order another.
    The fit and finish? Great zippers. Lotsa velcro. The neck is fine. Good padding. Easy to put on. I had no trouble wearing a Camelback underneath. The coat is bright and hideous. A white helmet and a florescent yellow jacket isn't my idea of "stylin," and clashes with my red GS, but I want function.
    One usually has to wait for good stuff. I was patient, and idiosyncratic Motoport came through. Some of the best craftsmen are a little hard to deal with. Wayne was easy, but if you have a schedule, buy the crappier stuff and skip the Motoport. If you want an excellent quality versatile protective suit, buy the Motoport. I am not as scientific, but sometimes the advice of expert riders like Jeff Dean is the best insurance.

Me in February or so:

[​IMG]

Oh yeah. Thanks for the writeup although we were both a little :buellerand...the yellow Motoport is no uglier than my Russell seat.:D
  8. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Having had a Russel for about an hour, I'd have to disagree~ :D
  9. Whammo

Whammo Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer:
    Any proud owners have any advice as to how they made the pants fit? The measurements they need and the procedure listed on the site is easy enough, just looking for some pointers.
    thnx
  10. LarryGS

LarryGS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the measurements myself and was unsure about my accuracy, so I got the porto phone and measure tape (tailor's kind) and got on the phone with Wayne. Worked out well re: knee pad placement, etc.
  11. MikeCont

MikeCont Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer:
    I agree. Let Wayne walk you through it.
  12. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got my Ultra 11 Mesh. Nice stuff but the knee armour hits me just below my knee cap when standing :huh
  13. Gringo

Gringo simple by nature

Oddometer:
    a small drinking village with a fishing problem
    mine did that too at first. After awhile the fabric broke in somewhat and now it seems to stay where it belongs. It's just right on the bike though...
  14. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gringo, sure hope the stuff get a little more soft and flexible with time.
    The gear is really great and as advertised. Just gotta bitch a little :evil
  15. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:
    If you ever get a chance, I would love to look at what you ended up with in person. I have only looked at one of their jackets briefly a few years ago. I am thinking about going this route as well....

thanks! -Ron
  16. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be happy to do it. I live in East Cobb but can meet you anywhere.
  17. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:

I am in E Cobb as well,off Lower Roswell near Indian Hills. Maybe we could hook up for coffee or something.... will PM you.
  18. ra2bach

ra2bach drive-by poster

Oddometer:
    me too, me too! Ok, I'm not in east Cobb anymore (used to live of Johnson's ferry and paper Mill) but i go over that way a lot. count me in??
  19. SamTheEagle

SamTheEagle Sam the Eagle

Oddometer:
    Gringo,

It's been plenty hot in Mass lately. I was hoping you could update us with a little more detail on how well the suit handles all this heat.

I'm wondering if the difference between the aerostich and the motoport kevlar is a small step of improvement or does it seem like a *big* step of improvement in the heat?

Your thoughts are appreciated, man! Rock on.

sam
  20. Gringo

Gringo simple by nature

Oddometer:
    a small drinking village with a fishing problem
    Without question the Motoport is a huge improvement over the Aerostitch in hot weather. Riding to work at 35-40mph I don't get alot of air flowing through the stretch kevlar fabric, but the jacket's simple ventilation features are more than adequate. The pants are a bit hotter than the jacket at slow speeds, but I just realized that I have yet to try opening the side pocket vents.

At highway speeds the flow-thru ventilation kicks in and things get real nice. I close the vents and let the fabric do the work, and I still catch myself revelling in the all-over cool breeze and comfort. I have to pause and remember how it felt having my knees pasted to the inside of the pads and my ass on fire to realize how good I've got it now.

I'm quite impressed so far; I spend zero time being distracted by discomfort and all my time just enjoying the ride. I can't wait to see how it'll do in sub-freezing weather.