Motopowerpuck- Phone Charging Evolved

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CoastieAM, May 4, 2018.

1. CoastieAM

CoastieAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi fellow ADV riders!!

I am the founder and inventor of the MotoPowerPuck! this is the first truly specific wireless Qi phone charging solution for the motorcycle market. Our product is assembled in the USA and is made by a veteran owned small business. We will be releasing the puck to the market the first week of June 2018. Please checkout Motopowerpuck.com for more info. Our puck is compatible with most center mount commercially available mounts and is only 9.5MM thick, it wires directly to 12V source on your bike. Qi or Wireless charging requires a transmission distance of no more than 5-9MM between coils. Please feel free to ask questions here or reach out to us at info@motopowerpuck.com .

Please use discount ADV10 at checkout for a 10% discount.

puck1.jpeg

puck3.jpeg
    Benduro, Ginger Beard, PowerT and 7 others like this.
  2. TomServo

TomServo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to point out that users of phones without native Qi or other wireless charging capability can in many cases adapt their phones to wireless charging using one of the devices mentioned in this article: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/i-spent-13-to-add-wireless-charging-to-my-android-phone/

I have no dog in this hunt but I came across the article while I was seeing if I could adapt my own MotoX4 to use wireless charging. Thought maybe others would find it useful if they want to use your product. or maybe you guys could get some to resell? Could help move more of your devices (which I'm considering right now)
  3. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    Tom , thank you for bringing this up and yes I agree that this may be a solution for some that don’t have the newer generation of phones. The only draw back to those converters is that you are still using the bottom port on the phone which is susceptible to water intrusion to the phone as it would require access to the port. Most of the newer generation phones have wireless charging built in and are mostly water resistant if not fully waterproof. Not trying to steer anyone away and I welcome the idea and possibility of carrying converters to allow those without built in wireless charging to use our product. We are still in the infancy stages and are just looking to get the buzz out!

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. 12sechatch

12sechatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great idea. I've been wondering why this concept hasn't taken off already. I'm looking forward to seeing your success in the future.

A future product for you is a mount with the puck built in. That would sell like crazy
  5. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe a dumb question: does the puck draw ANY power from the bike's battery when NOT charging a phone??
  6. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    That would all depend on how it is wired. If the user wired it straight to the battery with an inline fuse then it would without the phone over it charging draw about 2mah. If it were wired to a switched 12v lead with a fuse and relay then it would draw nothing as the power would not be supplied to the board. We leave the wiring decision up to the user as it’s their motorcycle and in my experience almost no two bikes a customized the same.
  7. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I almost pulled the trigger on this immediately as I've been waiting for someone to adapt wireless charging to a phone mount on the bike.

I pause because the output is only 1 amp. I know whenever I run any navigation app and try to charge at the same time, I better have a higher power charger or else the battery will slowly drain. The slower charger simply does not keep up with the battery drain that most navigation apps, such as Waze, require.

Do you plan on coming out with a second, 2A version?
  8. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    It’s not the amp charging that is the issue nor the board power input but the Qi charging standard used . Our boards are Qi 1.2, I use my personal unit to navigate while charging all the time and my phone actually gains charge running Waze, Pandora, and spotwalla. Our boards are different than most of the cheap Chinese chargers available on Amazon, ours are true Qi1.2 standard boards. The only caveats we have noted in testing is that full 100% brightness navigation and wireless charging can trigger over heating warning on some devices and they will shutdown on their own. This is due to the small profile of the device in which the screen, battery and inductive coil are all stacked on each other. There is limited space for heat dissipation and this causes the possibility for shutdown. We recommend using screen brightness of 75-80% to reduce the heat being generated on your phone.

9. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    E store is live and we are accepting pre orders at this time scheduled to ship out June 4th.

10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great. I wish it wasn't so fat. Not sure I can get that and my Kyocera phone into the perfect squeeze mount I use. I suspect that thickness may be an issue for others as well..
  11. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the feed back and we are committed to evolving the product along the way.
    levain likes this.
  12. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    Just an update for all. We are on schedule to start shipping out the first MotoPowerPucks by June 4th. If you’re considering ordering, get it in now before the first supply is gone!

13. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I did see the demo unit at the JVB Tech Day last month. Going to get my order in so I'm sure to get one of the first ones out in June.
    This thing looks and feels bulletproof. Good design and made for tough use on a bike in all weather conditions.

I've had a couple of the cheap ones off amazon and they work ok if you leave your phone a table overnight, but I can't imagine they would survive the vibration/dust/rain being mounted on a bike.
    CoastieAM likes this.
  14. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    MotoPowerPucks are built and are ready for shipment. If you get your order in now we will begin shipping on 29 May! we are ahead of schedule and want to get these into riders hands!
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Did you order this and if so how well does it seem to work ?
  16. TomServo

TomServo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't pulled the trigger.. My phone lasts a pretty long time as it is so I haven't had the need for it.
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I really want one of these but I'm afraid it's going to be too thick for my RAM mount.

[​IMG]
  18. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    Jeff, I’m working on researching a way to get our puck to work with these mounts. Give me a few weeks to try to develop a solution. Also worth noting we are already in development of v2 and are planning to have it as a integrated mount with wireless charging.

Andrew

cgguy09 likes this.
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply! This looks to be what I'm looking for for my attempt at the Tour of Idaho T1 challenge in August.
    I'm even considering milling a circle into the mount so that it will recess down into it. If the tolerances are tight enough, it wouldn't hurt the strength.
  20. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    Well the first two orders were shipped out last week and should already be in inmates hands! Get your orders in now most orders are shipped same day!