Motopowerpuck- Phone Charging Evolved

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CoastieAM, May 4, 2018.

1. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I guess my question is -- if I want to put a shorter cable into the quick connect in the future, it accepts 12v directly from the battery right?
  2. CoastieAM

CoastieAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, sorry for the rant in the early days we had a customer trying to disassemble our puck and modify it and did a real hack job and when it broke they wanted a refund and a replacement puck...we kindly replaced the product that one time but refused anything further as their modification was deemed a serious change and therefore not eligible for warranty. I’m all for DIY but like any electronic available at most retailers you modify it you own it.
    bugzilla, Serp and AdamChandler like this.
  3. phlazm

phlazm ad maiora nati sumus

Oddometer:
    An update to my charging issue. I must've had a faulty puck, but they took care of me and my iPhone 11 charges just fine now in any position I put it in. For anyone with an iPhone, the 10w version charges the iPhone just fine for me. Honestly, the more I use the mount, the more convinced I am that it would be worth it for the mount alone, the wireless charging is just icing.
  4. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    The Perfect Squeeze? Isn't it great?? I tried a number of phone mounts and even considered the RAM Mount that my buddy had. I wouldn't trust any of them without some type of safety catch EXCEPT the Hondo.

No, I totally get it and it's well within your right to do so.
  5. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I placed an order on Sunday and really need this by next week before I leave for Baja, I've sent email with no luck so far? Can you tell me when this will ship or should I order from Hondo garage? Thanks
  6. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spending the day adding things to the 1250.
    Of course, one is the Motopowerpuck.
    In the course of working through issues, it struck me, that the wires on the puck, are incredibly small.

22 or 24 gauge?

The questions, are:
    1. why so tiny? Most farkles come in at around 18 gauge, maybe 20 at the most.
    2. Where and how do most of you attach these leads?

Curious, as I struggle with a whisper of a wire.

Hey, I ain't no vascular surgeon.
    TrailRoad likes this.
  7. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    All taken care of, thanks..

8. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a juiced squeeze to mount on my '15 GS. I understand that the BMW can-bus system does not allow tapping into the harness for switched power. Therefore, it seems my options are:

1. wire it straight to the battery and hope it does not run down the battery while parked

2. purchase and install a fuseblock type relay

I'd like to know what MPP recommends, and also what are other users doing regarding wiring?
  9. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would never wire an accessory directly to my battery for the simple reason that it is a guarantee I would forget to power it down at some point, likely a long way from home.

I have a power distribution hub of some kind on every motorcycle I own. I don't use every circuit the hubs offer, but I use most of them.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  10. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    Why not use the CAN system?

Hexcode sells the EZ CAN solution that will allow you to configure custom controllers including switched power
  11. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    I've actually been meaning to ask this question @CoastieAM

What is the idle draw of the V2 vs. the V1.5?

I noticed the new one took only a week to kill my charged battery vs. the v1.5 that took a month.
    zknezo likes this.
  12. texas_aggie

Oddometer:
    I am not willing to buy a $200 EZCAN, just to use the powerpuck.
  13. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    I mean there are other reasons for it ;)
  14. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    We actually offer a plug in version of our cable that allows you to use the factory power port(Hella DIN) and is only $10 more.. no hardwiring and easy 5 min install.
  15. texas_aggie

Oddometer:
    I did not see that option when I ordered thru Hondo. Does he offer this option, or is that only if I order thru you?
  16. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    We are currently the only ones that offer this option. We have the cables in stock but our mounts are on backorder with Hondo.
  17. texas_aggie

Oddometer:
    great, thank you for the fast response. Also, thank you for your innovation.
  18. skishades

skishades n00b

Oddometer:
    I just ordered mine. Been looking at few different wireless chargers. Liked that yours was just simple. My phone cord on a cross country trip a few years ago kept wearing out... literally wore the copper off the connection points each week, the apple cord did last two weeks so I can attest it has more plating than the cheap cords. Had me thinking of finding a better solution for this summers ride to Alaska.

Even though I logged on today to get a wireless charger for my bike, I still hesitated... I then looked through a few other options, then checked reviews and found this forum. The simple back and forth, including the negative ones with responses really helped me decide. I liked the mistakes and feedback... I liked the candid responses to inappropriate hack jobs. It was all honest.

Thank you for the discount code too!
  19. stealman

stealman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i Just received and mounted a juiced squeeze. I wired it directly to the battery, mostly because I know that is 12v. power. Im interested in installing a switch to the power puck Can anyone recommend what to use?
  20. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer: