Motopowerpuck- Phone Charging Evolved

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CoastieAM, May 4, 2018.

1. kiwih

kiwih n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, i hope you are doing well during these strange times.
    I was wondering if you still accept orders for the powerpuck? I cant find any products listed in the shop currently, but i found the product page with google.
  2. CoastieAM

CoastieAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the heads up we are working on our page and will have it back up as soon as we can.
  3. LyndonL

LyndonL n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. Anyone have any tips for keeping their phone cool when charging in the hot sun?

Unfortunately I have my puck mounted in the centre of my bars and there's no airflow, so on the hot days the sun heats it up and the phone deactivates charging.

It's only happened to me a few times, but it's always been when I've needed it! Thinking maybe fashioning a shroud? Could be a good lock down project...
  4. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    In high heat situations try turning down the brightness of your screen this should help with the heat generation in your phone. A shroud would only intensify the overheating as it would hold the heat closer to the phone and cause it to overheat faster. Also what kind of temps are you experiencing this at as this is the first mention of overheating that we have with the new generation of pucks. Could you show a few pictures of your setup?
    LyndonL likes this.
  5. LyndonL

LyndonL n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers, will try reducing the brightness next time I encounter it.

No, I'm running the older generation unit, not the new one. Probably should upgrade at some point soon...
    But 35+ deg C type days, with cloudless skies.
    It's also an older phone.. S7 active. Might be something to do with it.
  6. DustyS

DustyS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah yes -- Samsung Galaxy S7 here and I periodically have a similar heating issue on the m/c even prior to using MotoPuck.

My belief it is more related to being in the sunlight with screen on than charging, although I will say the S7 occasionally does go "bananas" and heats wildly when charging -- on any charger anyplace!

LyndonL likes this.
  7. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has probably been noted before (I have not seen mention of it) but if you install the Juiced squeeze on a Keyless GS, it can cause the bike to think the key has been lost. Even if it’s hooked to switched power. It’ll let you start the bike, but soon after underway you’ll get a warning light that your key is out of range. This happened when I first installed the puck, leaving my fob in a handlebar pouch where I always leave it. I’ve since had to move the fob to either my pocket or to a tailback to avoid the error. No big deal.
  8. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback we have heard of this only once before the proximity of the puck to the keyless button seems to be the culprit. If you can move it a mere inch or two away further it shouldn’t interfere any longer!
  9. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just FYI. So this pic shows where I have it mounted. On a ram ball off the left mirror. If I put my key fob anywhere in the handlebar bag, I get the “lost key” warning after I start the bike.

Again, easy solution, just put the key in my pocket instead. No problem!

I’m thankful for innovation like this product. Thumbs up

IMG_8168.jpg
  10. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the Power Puck on a MotoMinded stout mount. Holds and charges my Note 9 great. Thanks for coming up with this great holder, the ADV discount code and the fast shipping.
    20200424_163617.jpg
  11. NCWufman

NCWufman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got mine in the mail the other day, mounted and the phone fits perfectly and "recognizes" the charger (Samsung 10+ in an Otter Box Defender). I'll get a "real life test" in a couple of days.

My only question, what size screws are use to mount the perfect squeeze to the Ram mounting plate? The were 2 in the back of the charger and no more in the envelope. These two fit perfectly and the mount seems tight. I went to the local big box store and used their sizer and bought the 2 sizes that were the closest (M5-.80 and 10-24) neither fits. Does the mount just use 2 screws and holes line up differently for different mounts or am I overlooking something? I would really prefer the security of 4 screws.
  12. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    10/32 socket cap but only two are included as that’s what most modern amps ram balls use.
  13. NCWufman

NCWufman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Hope to see you at Jim's next month?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping to make it just will depend on the work tempo might be out of town and unable but we will be donating a few prizes either way!
    NCWufman and phreakingeek like this.
  15. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any tips for wiring in a switch
    I know how to wire but the thin gauge wire is new to me
  16. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd probably solder the light gauge to something heavier, like 16ga and wrap the joints with a layer or two of heat shrink tubing. Then use the 16ga wire to connect to the switch using crimped on terminals.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  17. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a juiced squeeze from Hondo Garage 3 weeks ago and after the initial order notification I've received nothing and they are not responding to emails. Are they still around or should I be submitting a dispute with paypal?
  18. CoastieAM

Oddometer:
    We know that they are still around just have a limited workforce due to Covid. Please keep trying to contact them.
    henrys likes this.
  19. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hondo finally got back to me, we're good!
    new2adv likes this.
  20. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Thanks for updating everybody Henry! Sometimes we are left hanging, wondering what the outcome was.