Motorcycle Adventure Riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BvilleBud, Dec 2, 2018.

1. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am typing this from Bolivia, a third world country that I love more by the hour. Everyone here rides a motorcycle. There are cruisers, standards, sport bikes, flat out dirt bikes, dual sports, and yes ADV bikes. But more on that later

i think I have seen every brand but BMW and Aprila; there are many bikes I have never seen before. The Chinese Pegasus 150 seems to be the standard grocery getter with many other Chinese brands also. The Yamaha XT or Honda XR seem to be what everyone wants and there are plenty of them on the road.

Life in Bolivia is an adventure for those visiting her and an adventure and a test every day for many of Bolivia’s children. I can’t count the times I have seen a family of four all riding on the 150cc bike sin helmets. Even pets get a ride here. Riders hammer out a living in the open air marketplaces delivering food and other items on their bikes. 3 pesos will get you a ride from the outskirts of town to the town square in San Ignacio and probably plenty of other towns. This is adventure in its most raw form. Most bike covers (and there are plenty) are cardboard boxes cut to the rough shape of the seat and handlebars. High capacity tanks are the standard tank with a 3 liter Coke bottle filled with petrol strapped somewhere on the bike. Luggage racks are everything from stock looking add on’s to sweet looking custom bent and welded pieces, to crates strapped or bolted to the back; and they all seem to work well.

I got to Ride the wheels off of a POS Chinese 150 cc standard bike with knobby tires one day during the trip-Two up! The throttle was pegged against the stop most of the time, but she took us down every road around San Javier, from dirt to highway all day long and she brought us back. THAT was an adventure!

I know the motorcycle magazines tout the GS, the Africa Twin, and the KTM 1290; they are all great bikes. I have my own 1000cc “ADV” bike (‘14 V-Strom) but as capable as these machines are, a beak, knobby tires, and a big gas tank don’t define the adventure. The adventure is getting on the bike and going somewhere new; it is riding in bad weather, riding a little too long, getting sunburn in the shape of a visor, being wet and cold, or dry and thirsty. It is about getting off the couch and going out on your bike, then sharing the story with a friend.