Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by _cy_, Jan 20, 2012.

1. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know there are now 2 sources.
  2. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a EarthX that's been in my bike since new. It has never failed to start my bike (2012 Beta 520RS). These Lifepo4 batteries are really proving to be a great source of power on motorcycles. I might also add these batteries are extremely durable!! I had the hold down strap break on my bike a few years back and the battery banged around in the tray for a few hard rides. I zip tied it into place and have used it ever since. Almost 7 Years is a damn good life for any battery. When it's cold out I simply turn on my fan for a seconds to warm the battery up.

I'm sorry that the Antigravity vender has to endure such childish behavior from a few members only here to cause trouble. "Reporting" a vendor for posting feedback in his expertise and negative comments have no place on this or any forum. I also want to thank Antigravity for the good solid info and starting tips posted here. I might just check out your battery selection when my OEM AGM battery gives up on my Super Tenere.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Childish behaviour :lol3 The only thing I gather from that is that you must have missed how much this vendor in particular pushes his products in different threads here on advrider :deal
  5. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think many of us has, which makes me wonder how big of a problem it really is?
    You seek to seek out the posts, and reporting apparantly does nothing, so it seems like the moderaters agree that it isnt an issue. Move on.
  6. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Why do you claim I seek out the posts? Have it not occured to you that I just might be subscribed to a bunch of threads and got tired of seeing the same message repeated over and over again?
    And for the record, quite a few posts have been nuked according to site guidelines - so maybe you should not speculate too much in whether the mods agree or not.

I suggest YOU move on :rofl
    dedave likes this.
  7. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could we please get back to talking about batteries? This thread is being ruined by that bickering.
  8. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    Back to the topic on hand. I'm really curious just how long these Lifepo4 batteries can last. I have never had a battery last this long in anything I've owned. I'm still on the fence on either a AGM or Lifepo4 battery when it comes time to replace the battery in my Super Tenere. I can either upgrade from the OEM AGM Y12 to a Y14 or go with one of these:

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atz10-rs/

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx36c

They both have really good cranking amps. The EarthX is a lot more expensive though. I do like the restart feature on the Antigravity battery. Lots of competition for these lithium batteries. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. It's just a matter of choosing between a AGM or Lifepo4. In reality I live in a warmer climate so either on will work. And as far as warming up the lithium, just turning the key on will run enough electricity through it to get it warm for starting.

And now Antigravity (and a few others) have a really cool jump start packet that is super compact. This little thing will jump start my truck!! I saw this Micro-Start kit at the motorcycle show a few months back. Very compact. Small enough to carry on a bike or put in the glovebox.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-1/
  9. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    I have not read through this whole thread. Are there some warranty issues with some of these? If so which ones?
  10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    EarthX has the best warranty (full price of the battery vs prorated) and a similar jumpstart feature. But... as you say they’re more expensive.
    dedave and ballisticexchris like this.
  11. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    My EarthX came with my Beta stock from the factory. I have to say it amazes me how well it works and long it's lasted. I imagine it's way out of warranty by now!! LOL
    ChasM and dedave like this.
  12. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe Shido offers a 2 year warranty.
    dedave likes this.
  13. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I can hardly believe that your 2012 beta came factory equipped with an EarthX battery. Was it via Beta's "build your own" program?
    I know that the new Beta's come with Li batteries but they are not EarthX.
  14. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    It did come with EarthX. They had a bad batch of Ballistic batteries so the EarthX was used instead on that year model for no extra charge.
  15. AlpineRAM

AlpineRAM PartsChaser

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about getting some cells from Aliexpress, something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8pc...lgo_pvid=f2cf0dd5-32b1-432c-b494-f6646d1e2a83
    and also a BMS from there and build one or two of those batteries myself.
    With 4 series 2 parallel this should net me 20 Ah and 300A short discharge, 100A continuous and 20A charging (40A quick charge) - not shabby for the weight.

Or maybe just this
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pc...lgo_pvid=dfdc7186-affe-4bb1-aeb0-f334b8008d6d
    and a BMS, should be sufficient to start a motorcycle and weighs next to nothing.

I know this would not have all the "advanced features" of the name brand stuff, but why would it be a bad idea?
    Will I burn down the bike- start a nuclear war?
    Any of you already done that? (built a battery/burned down bike/started war?)
  16. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment.

You must have in mind that the currents are too high and the whole circuitry must be able to handle all that with safety.

The cells must be also of good quality to withstand the abuse of that usage and the uncontrolled environment.
    The box must be able to protect the cells and the circuitry from humidity, water, vibration, hits and provide firm battery terminal connections, etc.

Always have security in mind.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  17. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    Ill keep the lithium in my car. My bike must wait until its ready.
  18. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Just pulled the trigger on this one https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/sstz14s-fp.html for my Super Tenere. The OEM is still starting the bike but I have to put it on the battery tender if I miss more than a day riding. Even then it is turning over the engine very slowly, taking a lot of cranking and the dash is going blank at the same time. It's also having a tough time starting the bike if I've clumsily stalled it and try to restart leaving the bike in 1st and pulling in the clutch. I recently had to put the bike back in neutral to get it to crank fast enough to restart. This even though the engine was completely warmed up. Not enough grunt to overcome the viscous oil drag between the clutch plates I guess. In my mind not being able to get underway quickly again in traffic is touching on a safety issue.
    Going Li is a bit of an experiment for me but at least the Scorpion has a 2-year full replacement warranty and the the batterystuff.com outfit is good to work with, based on past experience.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  19. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Haven't burnt a bike (yet) and I try to avoid wars :D but yes, I've built a couple of LiFePo batteries from A123 26650 cells. Some info on this old thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/a123-battery-on-gs-hp2.556371/
  20. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it was reported here, Ballistic closing operation:

https://www.ballistic-batteries.com/