Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by _cy_, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the other side of the ocean (E.U.) are there any recommendations for LFP manufacturers that use quality cells?

The local market here in Greece is flooded with very cheap Asian batteries like Skyrich that they’re terrible.

Although fully charged they couldn’t provide enough power to start the engine at 2-3°C / 35-37°F which is ok normally. Even the instruments gone black...
  2. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shido from germany perhaps? They atleast have a warranty.
  3. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skyrich has a warranty too but it’s not useful in that case.

What we need is real world testimonies for batteries used for number of years...
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm at 13 months on my EarthX, and counting as fast as I can... :lol3 A few pages back, another inmate was at almost 7 years on his EarthX.

Of course, YMMV.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EarthX are great but nowhere in Europe...
  6. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    My dealer swears by Western Powersports house brand “WPS” Lithium ion batteries. I have only used one so far, and zero complaints.
    Ste7ios and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 12 cell Ballistic had its 1st series in lower level than the rest... The good thing is that they were using A123 cells.
  8. cresmond

cresmond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has a Bikemaster Lithium Ion battery and I have no issues with it.
  9. Paulie

Paulie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got an antigravity xp-10 in 7/16, so it's ~2-1/2 years old. Used it a few times to power my cpap & have kept it charged up.

Took it out today & the case is cracked open a bit. I called their support line & they suggested not to use it anymore. Warranty is 1 year & they'll gimme 25% off a new one. That goes in my NFW Dept. :flush Crappola junque.
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the tiny little EarthX ETZ5G for my EXC525. That same battery easily started my 640 for over a year. So, it shouldn't have any issues with my 525.

The interesting thing about that ETZ5G in my 640 was EarthX replaced it for free with their 12 after I called them with a question. I said it wasn't starting the bike in below freezing weather. They said their web site mistakenly showed that 5 rather than their 12 for a 640. So a replacement battery was on them but please return mine for diagnosis.

Then it turned out it wasn't the battery because even the 12 wouldn't work on a cold day. My ignition switch was worn out and full of dust. A lithium battery on a cold day didn't have enough initial power to jump damaged contacts. I called EarthX and offered to pay for the replacement since it wasn't because of the smaller battery. They said no the 12 was a better fit for the 640 and still on them but thanks for letting them know it wasn't the battery.

I already liked them just for all the charger information they provide on their website. But they sold me for life just by picking up their phone and talking to me - in English no less.
  11. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I would like to use the knowledge of the brain trust here. What is the recommendation for a basic trickle charger suitable for use with various brands of lithium ion batteries? TIA.
  12. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every lead acid charger without desulfation / recovery stage will do the job. Any voltage above 15V will destroy the cells.

But it’s better to get a dedicated lithium charger like OptiMate Lithium to be on the safe side, be able to balance the cells, and wake it up if you get it almost overdischarged and the battery has a BMS...
  13. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. For curiosity’s sake, I have both the “desktop” and “wall plug” style Deltran battery tenders. Do these have the desulfation/recovery stages that will kill a lithium ion battery?
  14. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have to check their user manuals or Deltran’s site for their specs. Deltran has more than 15 different models for various battery capacities...
  15. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    NONE. Trickle chargers are bad.
    dedave likes this.
  16. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily. Look at the EarthX web page. They list most chargers and whether they will work.

For instance, they show my Battery Tender chargers will work as chargers but not maintainers.

Like I said, I originally bought EarthX because they provide this kind of information. It is worth a read:

https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batteries/battery-charging

I thought about buying a cheaper brand this time. Then remembered I wouldn't need a new charger with EarthX. The Battery Tender already rigged for my lead acid battery will work should I ever need to charge it.
    B02S4, ChasM and kickstandsup like this.
  17. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Interesting. The one time the Li ion battery in my old bike ran down, I used my battery tender Jr for about an hour, then disconnected and did it again a few hours later. Bike started right up and the battery showed no ill effects over the next several months and then I sold it. I realize that is borderline paranoia on my part, but it has served me well over the years!
    Grreatdog and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  18. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Battery tender brand are float chargers, not trickle chargers...huge difference.
  19. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    a lith battery battery goes to sleep and doesn't discharge. it would take a yr before it starts to discharge. so just put it on a 1.5a charger about 1/2 hr before you ride after it sitting for a few months.
    dedave likes this.
  20. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you’ve in mind about winterizing, you only have to ride enough (20-30’) and then just disconnect the LFP battery...

The charger may be needed in other scenarios because of the tiny capacities.