1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by _cy_, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing but gels in all my bikes for the last 12 yrs or so. Cost about the same as lead-acid, no special charger and lasts twice as long. And no chance of leaks.
    waylongway and JensEskildsen like this.
  2. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huge shout out to Anti-Gravity.

I have a 5 year old Micro-Start Mini, long after the warranty expired, and the case had swollen and popped up. Still worked ok, just had me concerned.

The gave me 30% off the price of a new model, so I jumped on that and a new harness for a new bike I bought that allows jump starting from the SAE charge cord.

The package came today and much to my surprise, there were some extra goodies thrown in. An audio cap and a lantern/light/speaker power bank.

I really like these great folks. Tremendous service and awesome to deal with.
    Buy their stuff !!

IMG_2119.jpg
  3. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big shout out to Anti-Gravity.

I have a 5 year old Micro-Start Mini, long after the warranty expired, and the case had swollen and popped open. Still worked ok, just had me concerned.

The gave me 30% off the price of a new model, so I jumped on that and a new harness for a new bike I bought that allows jump starting from the SAE charge cord.

The package came today and much to my surprise, there were some extra goodies thrown in. An audio cap and a lantern/light/speaker power bank.

I really like these great folks. Tremendous service and awesome to deal with.
    Buy their stuff !!
    IMG_2119.jpg
    WJBertrand and Antigravity like this.
  4. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    We have an old (2014) PPS. It has a different size charging jack than our newer ones.

What 120V charger do we order?
  5. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a discontinued Micro-Start model and unfortunately we no longer offer the replacement charger for the PPS. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you give us as call at (310) 527-2330 we can discuss possible replacement options for the unit.
  6. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used standard lead acid for about 10 years but recently went to AGM. My understanding is that there's no need to trickle charge an AGM over winter, but here's a couple questions for the obviously very well educated battery experts here...
    1. Where I live, "winter" can mean a good 5 months of no riding, can I still just leave it?
    2. If/ when I do recharge, should I take the battery off the bike?
    I'm sorry if this has been covered already, there's just too much in this thread to wade through :)
  7. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of opinions I'm sure. The way I like to do it is check voltage across the battery every couple weeks when not riding. A fully charged AGM will be about 12.8v. No reason to charge or otherwise "maintain" a battery that is fully charged. If/when your voltage checks at 12.4v or less, that means the battery has dropped to 75% of charge and a good time to put a small charger on for a few hours, then remove.Repeat checking same way all winter and charge only as needed.
    I know there are many that strongly believe in leaving a Battery Tender on 24hrs a day. I don't believe in it myself so many contrasting views.
    ChasM and Bakfarht like this.
  8. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Glad you brought that up because advertisers claim that AGMs have a very low level of self-discharge. That is true when they are sitting on a store shelf and not connected to anything. The trouble is, when they are connected to a vehicle, numerous systems (alarm, ECU, etc) draw current that far exceeds the self-discharge rate of the battery...tens to a hundred of times more. So the self-discharge aspect means nothing when it is connected to the vehicle.

1. I would at least monitor the battery voltage and charge it when necessary. Better still, connect it to a battery maintainer and not worry about it.
    2. If possible. Note though that indoors where it is warm it will self-discharge a bit faster than in a colder environment. If it is below freezing, I'd make sure the battery is fully charged first and then keep it that way. The last think you want to do is charge a frozen battery with any substantial current.
    lexaria and Bakfarht like this.
  9. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Pretend you are riding it. Every weekend, walk into the garage and connect the QD battery tender leads. Sometime later that day or weekend, disconnect. Simplest method.
    SmittyBlackstone and 250senuf like this.
  10. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are not going to ride it for 5 months, do what the Manufacturers suggest.
    Fully charge at the end of the season with a proper charger (not a trickle charger)
    Disconnect and come back in Spring.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Battery charges I own and use (not that these are the best or cheapest). None of these is a trickle charger. Information obtained from the manufacturer's web pages.

Deltran SuperSmart Battery Tender Plus 12-Volt 1.25 AMP Battery Charger $50 April 1, 2008
    Battery Tender Plus 12V - 1.25A. The Battery Tender Plus is a 1.25-amp battery charger designed to fully charge a battery and maintain it at proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. Included is a quick connect harness for hard to reach areas. Temperature compensated to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature. Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode. Battery Tender at 1.25-amp will charge as fast or faster than any 3-amp charger available. Reverse Polarity Protection to ensure user safety. Red & Green Lights Alternately Flash in this condition. Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode). 10 year warranty. Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)

Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger $23 December 20, 2012
    Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger is much more than a trickle charger. It has a brain, is lightweight, compact, fully automatic and very easy to use especially in small spaces. This battery charger will keep the battery fully charged so that it is ready to go always. It has a microprocessor controlled fully automatic charger and maintainer and is designed to extend the life of any lead acid battery commonly used in automobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, RVs, boats, airplanes, golf carts, back-up generator systems, etc. Any vehicle or battery-operated piece of equipment not used on a daily or regular basis is a candidate for a Battery Tender charger. The advanced technology will bring the battery back to a full charge without overcharging and then float or maintain the battery for an indefinite period of time. The Battery Tender Junior comes equipped with alligator clips and ring terminals for easy hook up. An optional 25 feet extension cord (part number 081-0148-25) is sold separately.

Battery Tender (022-0186G-DL-WH) 12V 5 Amp Battery Charger $65 August 17, 2016
    The 5 amp 12 volt Battery Tender charger is a fully automatic High Frequency switch mode charger. It has 4 stage charging (Qualification, bulk, absorption and float) When the recharge is complete the charger will float (maintain) the battery for an extended period of time at full state of charge. It is specifically designed for AGM batteries but will easily recharge all lead acid batteries form the small Powersports batteries up to and including large deep cycle batteries for automotive, marine, agriculture, construction, virtually any lead acid battery. It is completely safe and includes a 72 hour timer to prevent further damage to marginal batteries. It is fully approved for the California and Oregon markets. It is a smart charger that you just put on and leave on until you are ready to use the vehicle.

Battery Tender 6V/12V, 4A Selectable Lead Acid & Lithium Battery Charger and Maintainer. $64 October 24, 2019
    The fully automatic 4 Amp Power Tender is a top-of-the-line 12V or 6V switchable battery charger, perfect for automotive, motorcycle and marine repair and maintenance shops. Float / maintenance function maintains batteries at proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickled chargers. The integrated smart controller assures that your battery is charged safely and correctly at all times through our ISM (Infinite Sequential Monitoring). The ISM adapts to the battery’s needs hundreds of times per second to deliver the proper amount of charge. With reverse polarity protection and spark-proof operation, you can connect it and forget it!

TecMate TM-291 OptiMate Lithium Battery Charger $108 February 21, 2013

Tecmate Blue Ampmatic Optimate Lithium 4s, TM-291, 10-Step 12.8V 5A Sealed Battery Saving Charger & maintainer $126 March 28, 2016

:ricky
  13. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    Don't class myself an expert i'm always learning (leave that to the yanks there good at trying claim the fame LOL)
    Just speaking from experience
    Still need to trickle charge AGM just threw out a new AGM as it sat on shelf for 12 mths no trickle held only 16Amp

As soon my bikes home there on trickle 950SE just replaced the Motobatt AGM after 6 yrs

[​IMG]
  14. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not my experience.
    Theres no need to charge a battery every week, the charger should cut of in a matter of seconds doing that, if theres no parasittic draw.
    Have alook at the output of your charger, then time how long the charger runs, and you know roughly how much capacity the charger "filled up" the battery
    lexaria and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    If there’s no parasitic draw is important here. What you want to do with your battery will depend a lot on how much (if any) parasitic draw there is.
  16. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    Exactly
    I have a rally tower on 2 x bikes with nav equipment & Accessories on other with isolation toggles there is still a small amount of draw

Motobatt recommended to put my AGM motobatt batteries at least on trickle once a month if not in use
    As i said i got 6 yrs out my batteries using trickle once bikes are parked home. my bikes are daily rides not weekend toys
  17. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I'm no battery expert. My last AGM lasted nine years, and still has two thirds of its original capacity. It got disconnected & removed from the bike every winter, and fully charged at the beginning of that storage period. No trickle charging.
    1. My understanding is five months should be fine if there is no parasitic drain, i.e. the battery is disconnected from the bike. I recently installed a main switch for this purpose, and posted about it.
    2. I don't think that is necessary, since you are not going to push the battery beyond 14.8V, and the bike electronics should be ok with that.
  18. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    In case anyone is looking for an alternative to the Baja Designs 700 mah nicad battery, this one is a direct replacement 2000 mah nimh.
  19. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    I've got a kick start only bike with a big 12v sealed lead acid battery to run the lights and such. Could I get away with just throwing in a Milwaukee m12 lithium battery in its place?
  20. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which biked do you have?

I would think it depends on how you are going to charge it. If you are going to remove it to charge it, I would think that would be fine, though also a hassle. I would not charge a lithium battery directly from the bike unless the battery has some sort of built in charge control.
    SmittyBlackstone and Jungle Man like this.