1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by _cy_, Jan 20, 2012.

1. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    And another Yuasa AGM bites the dust...18 months again, this time on my Ducati. Always on an Optimate maintainer. At the dealer for service, fails the load test. Had them replace with another b/c I needed the bike back and couldn't wait for an EarthX. I may just buy one next year and replace it again. It was 110 degrees a couple of days last week. I am completely, totally unimpressed (and pissed off at) with Yuasa, and remain impressed by EarthX, at least for applications here in the southwest.
  2. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maintainer hooked up during hot weather is no good for battery life. Try without the maintainer and I would bet the short life of AGM Yuasa will no longer be a problem.
    SmittyBlackstone and ramz like this.
  5. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Why? What is the science behind a maintainer degrading an AGM battery in hot weather? I've not seen any, but am willing to be educated.
  6. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heat accelerates grid corrosion, self discharging (discharging = sulfation) and gassing (electrolyte depletion) if the charging current isn’t adapted to the temperature.

Keeping a lead acid battery always fully charged is the best. It’s the only thing that stops sulfation.

A good maintainer with temperature compensation will adjust the charging properly and will not cause any harm to the battery (gassing).

Wet batteries are much more preferable in such environments because electrolyte depletion isn’t a problem... You can even apply desulfation procedures safely.

(See the link above... And in general the batteryuniversity.com.)
  7. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somewhere I read on one of those battery tutorial write ups, it said the normal "heat cuts battery life", but it also said "fully charged batteries are most likely to suffer". So to me, this meant keeping on a tender is not a good thing in hot weather. Of course like anything else, you have to pick/choose what to believe in anything you read, but my own experience is that best off letting the battery be, and only charge a few hours when necessary.
  8. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some times battery university can be confusing, the way they structured the info in their articles. All of the info is valid according to the bibliography and battery manufacturers but for example they mix various battery chemistries in an article that can get confusing, they reader may miss the context...

And unfortunately, many articles on the Internet don’t know what they write about... Even press journalists...

Lead acid must be fully charged, not OVERCHARGED, to stop sulfation (lead sulfate crystals part of its electrochemical reaction during discharging ).

A simple unmonitored trickle charger, or a maintainer without temperature monitoring may overcharge a battery and cause gassing —> electrolyte depletion. I believe that’s the source of that myth.

The “fully charged batteries are most likely to suffer” goes to most of the other battery chemistries like lithium family.

Also see:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_restore_and_prolong_lead_acid_batteries
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
  9. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all - I'm building a Meriden Triumph street tracker. It will just be an around town/ ride to bike night bike. It will have the stock type alternator with a podtonics r/r. I want a small battery, just to maintain proper voltage for an electronic ignition. Because of the primitive charging, I plan on sealed lead acid as opposed to Lithium. I found a battery that looks suitable, rated at .8 AH. Any other suggestions?
  10. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be sure that the podtronics R/R is compatible with an AGM battery: Charging voltage must be more than 13.8 V and less than 14.6 V, ideally around 14.4V.

If it’s not, an AGM battery will never get fully charged and will be killed by sulfation, sooner than expected. LFP doesn’t have this problem but it will be barely charged...
  11. Linkdead

Linkdead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Switched all 4 of my bikes over to EarthX batteries. Do you guys keep them on the charger 24/7 or are they ok to sit for awhile?
  12. Ste7ios

Ste7ios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a number of car makers that are using super capacitors in place of batteries in cars that shut the engine off at red lights. What type of capacitor would you suggest to replace a battery?
  14. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I discovered a real 'boner' I had pulled on 7/5/20. Somehow I had left the ignition key on my R1200GS turned on for about a week prior to noticing it !! The voltage on the Earth-X (ETX 36C) measured < 3 V ! I immediately put it on a Battery Tender Jr 800 Li charger with no response (flashing amber light). I then switched the charger to Lead Acid and the battery accepted the charger. After 24 hrs the voltage read 14.3 V. At this point I removed the charger. The next morning the voltage was 14.2 and today 7/11/20 it was 13.9 V - - - Whew !!
    markgsnw and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.kedo.com item no 33070
  16. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what happened to the link I posted, it used to go directly to item number 33070. Strange coding at the website? Maybe they want everyone to have to go through the main page and search.
  19. mitchntx

mitchntx Visit The wick in Seattle

Oddometer:
    Should have heeded what I've read elsewhere ... dont buy a Shoria.

2016 KTM 1290 SA

Been having issues with the battery maintaining voltage for the last 6 months. Thought it was a power drain from one of the farkles I've added. Battery is about 18 months old.

So I kept it on the maintainer ... the battery tender brand designed for lithium batteries ... and that was fine.

Till yesterday.

Tender showed a charging indication after being attached for a couple weeks. Tried to start the bike ... nothing. No click, no display, no lights.

Checked voltage via the pigtail lead ... less that 2 V.

Removed seat and jumped the bike with my truck and the bike started. Display showed 12+ V and my meter showed the same.

I suspected my tender was bad.

While running, I heard a muffled pop and figured it was metal heating and expanding.

Killed the bike and tried to restart ... it slow rolled but did crank. Killed it again and check voltage at the battery and found the battery as shown.

The battery pack is swollen about 2". Battery was warm, but not hot. No sign or indication of damage

I tried the tender on another bike and it cycled as I would expect.

I'm not condemning lithium batteries, just dogpiling on what I've read elsewhere.

Earth X ordered. 20200726_155723.jpg 20200726_160213.jpg
    cyclopathic and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  20. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    We've been having record breaking heat here in the southwest...

And another AGM battery bites the dust. My wife's Fiat's battery is exactly 4 years old. Drove the car yesterday, all fine. Get in this morning for work, dead. Good news is that the POD jump pack starts it right up. New battery going in later today. It is like clockwork here, they die b/w 3 and 4 years, no matter what. Car, bike, tender, no tender, different tenders. Does not matter. Heat kills. I now have one of those little jump packs in both cars, and I take one on bike trips (not that I'm doing those right now).
    cyclopathic and I82l8 like this.