1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by _cy_, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, but researching in a thread like this can take hours.

I live in Oakland, California, where it's rarely hotter than 80 or colder than 40, and the car is in a garage.

My wife's car is a 4 year old Honda CR-V, 30,000 miles, mostly in urban driving, lots of stop and go. The battery can fail to start the car, no crank at all, and actually the car will lose some electronic resets and setting. I use a jump start pack and it starts well, of course, and may continue to start well until one time it just doesn't. Putting it on a trickle charger can help, but it will do it again soon. When I check the voltage with the ignition off it's 12.5. When I tried a 10 amp charger the meter showed a very low amperage going into the battery. I bought a new battery. Happy wife, ....

Yesterday after I put the new battery in I hooked the old battery up to the same 10 amp charger and the meter showed a full 10 amps draw for quite a while. It seemed like the old battery was taking a charge better than before. This morning I checked the old battery again and it shows 12.5 volts. I don't have any other testing devices.

Is it possible that a battery would charge differently when it's not connected to the car? Is this battery really shot?
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are terminals clean? Clean posts and terminals with baking soda, toothbrush and water.. rinse well.
  3. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    What’s this got to do with motorcycle batteries?
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    145 pages of...stuff...but good to know the thread police are on the case and helpful. :muutt
    cyclopathic, Chickenstrip and Mark G like this.
  5. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    12.5v is no good for any battery whether it be in a car, motorcycle or any 12v vehical after a charge. Battery is shot if it's checking that voltage.
    SmittyBlackstone and Wentwest like this.
  6. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will now return to my regular activities in the garage, which are much more about scooters and motorcycles. For those of you who are offended by my question, I apologize. Humbly.
  7. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nah, ask whatever you want, hopefully someone can help, not criticize. I'm no expert whatsoever, but it sounds dead to me...plus, you know, you've got a happy wife. Good decision. :photog
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Condition of vehicle's charging system?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I know it’s a crappy HF tool, but I think it was less than $10. Pretty handy when troubleshooting out on the trail.
    1B3AB1D5-894A-4049-ADCE-0892CC4B0C62.jpeg
    250senuf likes this.
  10. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    A Load Test can be done to determine if the 4 yr old battery is still capable. You can do a version of it by hooking the battery back up and attempting to start multiple times with the lights AC on full everything that would create max electrical load at start while unplugging the input(s) to the ignition coil(s) if coilovers ignition. Usually after 2 or 3 attempts the battery will maintain or begin to fade away. A volt check at this point will also help determine if the battery is done for.
    Mjpickering and Wentwest like this.