Motorcycle camping with a CPap

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by digby49, Feb 9, 2019.

1. digby49

digby49 Digby49

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how to camp with a cpap machine, not having any luck with finding a practical solution for a 3 week motorcycle trip out west USA.digby49
  2. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    By “practical,” do you mean not be extorted out of $250 to $290 dollars for a portable battery? That’s the cost of one for the portable Transcend model. The Philips dreamstation one might fit your requirements, but it is like $900, then the cost of the portable battery. Ouch.
    https://www.thecpapshop.com/philips-respironics-dreamstation-go-auto-travel-cpap-machine

Obviously, you will need a battery backup, and even if you do, you will need a hookup to charge it and the time to do so. Not sure how many acccesories you have running and if you could charge it in your bike anyway.

https://www.minicpap.com/collections/batteries

I just try to sleep on my side and leave the cpap at home, however, my apnea is only moderate at worst.
    9Realms likes this.
  3. badge502

badge502 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use an HDM Z1. Draws max .3 amps. I also have an Antigravity lithium battery, and am setting up the bike to charge my cpap battery while riding. This spring/summer will be the first test of this.
  5. maximus_flavius

maximus_flavius Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my set up. Works well.
  6. oldmopars

oldmopars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a bike/camping trip coming up in a few months. What about the Z1 Cpap and a boost charger? Like the Noco GB70?? I could either run the cpap from the bike battery and then in the morning if it was too low to start the bike use the GB70 for a boost or just run the cpap directly from the GB70
    https://no.co/gb70
  8. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Good News:
    My CPAP machine can run directly from 12-volt with a $90 proprietary adapter cord. (Turn off cord heater and humidifier) I then bought an Antigravity XP-10 lithium jump starting battery. The XP-10 provides something like 18 amp-hours of power, estimated use for 8 hours of CPAP is 12 AH.
    I charge the XP-10 off my GSA while riding during the day. I use SAE extension cords off the battery tender cord from the battery. Then into the MP-10. Charge time varies. I can also charge faster from 110 volt if available.

I went with the XP-10 because is was around $185 and provides a 2nd use on the bike as a jumper pack. ALL lithium portable power units seem to use the same individual sized lithium batteries inside and then bank them to gain the desired voltage and amp hours. I assume Antigravity has a lot more experience with Lithium Ion battery technology than a CPAP maker providing for the rare guy who needs a 12-volt source. The guy I talked to at Antigravity is a biker and uses a similar set up with his battery & CPAP - nice guy.

The XP-10 will also recharge your phone and tablet at night in the tent.

I've read on here about guys using solar......good luck planning your day on the road around that charging routine.

The Real Bad News:
    All of this stuff put together weighs a bunch and takes up a lot of storage space. It also is one more thing to manage the battery recharge on a daily basis. Made some interesting decisions on what to leave at home to make room for the CPAP.
    I've only used this on a couple short 2 to 3 night trips to date - worked well. I still hate the CPAP and actually getting to sleep with it going is a blessing.

PLEASE PM me with any "getting to sleep" secrets you have discovered.
    9Realms likes this.
  9. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Antigravity battery has an automatic low voltage shutoff. Together with the cpap battery, there should be more than enough for a long nights sleep.
  10. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone! Sorry for the late chime in as we were MIA for a few weeks from ADV. Just wanted to provide a little more insight on this for all of you as well as future inquires as results can really vary. There's a ton of different CPAP machines out there and if you have an idea that mobility and travel is a factor you want to be sure to take note of a few things...such as the DC and connection options, what the amp draw of the device is, and if there's a removable humidifier. I have an older Resmed device with an XP-10 and I can get about 6 solid hours a night out of my set up based off of the draw but of course I needed one of those 3rd party cables because of the way the polarity is set up..now 6 hours is fine for me but other people may like to get a little more. So again these are just a few things to keep in mind if you know you'll be wanting to use your CPAP remotely where power isn't always accessible. I myself will be looking to update mine pretty soon and will be hoping to find one a little more efficient for it's power needs.
  11. S/W

S/W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am getting ready to gear up for CPAP assisted camping. Before I started using a CPAP I would have to get up to pee several times a night, a real pain when you are in a small tent and the campsite has a high population of mosquitoes . I gave up camping due to this uncomfortable problem. Now that I have used a CPAP for a few years I almost never have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. If I had known that was my problem , I would have asked my DR for a prescription a lot earlier.
  12. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was the exact same way, getting up 3 to 5 times per nite to pee. Now once or twice but mostly just one.

So, as I said on an earlier post, got a camping trip coming up soon. I go to secondhandcpap.com to order a Z1. I thought I would run it off my bike battery and then use my Noco GB40 to jump my bike the next morning if necessary. But I find out the Z!'s cig charger wont run the cpap, only charge the Z1's propiertary batter (which cost too much and too slow to charge). The Z1 along with the Transcent both run on 15 volts or something, not 12 volt, so a 12 cig connector will bring on the light but wont run it. And take much too long to charge during the day if you want to use their batt and charge from the bike.

So back to the drawing board. I think I'll just carry my home Dream Station in my back pack, kinda big but without the water tank, I can do it. And it will run directly on 12v. And also save me a lot of $$'s.
  13. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    I'm about done wiring in a voltage-regulated relay which will feed into an auxiliary battery, probably an 18aH deep charge (or whatever they're called.) Then I have to pay 95 bucks to Amazon for the ResMed 12 v to 24 v adapter. A doctor can get it for $65. My doctor won't help me with it. Amazon can't explain the difference.
    In another month it's Banff and Jasper and ten days camping. I'll let you know how it works.
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Isn't it a little too soon for that area? I was there about 2 years ago and absolutely love it over there. That was in Sept and it was pretty cold at night. Post pics when you're back along with progress notes.
  15. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent a lot of time in Banff etc. My mom was Canadian. It’s cold. Maybe have snow to mess with.
    But you know, as do I: it’s all good! Very good!
    I was off in my timing. We leave mid June. Should be ok on snow. Will still be chilly.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  16. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Whoa. Not so fast!

I just received a Z2 today, along with the manufacturer 12V cigarette lighter cord which was advertised by the seller to "power the Z1 and Z2 CPAP machine or charge the PowerShell from a power outlet in a vehicle or a stand alone battery power source". Unquote.

I had thought to power the Z2 from the PowerAdd 32000 battery I've used with my Phillips Repironics box. When I went to select 15V output on the battery I discovered it jumped from 12V to 16V, and decided against the overvoltage option. So I tried 12V on the battery and the Z2 blew me just fine. I then used an AC-to-12V cig power source and powered the Z2 with the manufacturer 12V cord; once again, it worked.

Granted, I haven't slept with this thing yet, but it does appear to work.

Thoughts?
  17. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Lurking, taking notes.
  18. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last night I used the Z2 for 7:31, powered by my five-year-old PowerAdd 32000 battery. Seems to work as advertised. Battery charge remaining was 77%.
  19. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used this setup for years. I charge the battery bank off of the bike every day while riding, so this works indefinitely and should be fine for a 3-week trip. The most I've done is 2.5 weeks.

Setup:
    Pro tips:
    • I keep the CPAP at my feet and run the tube through the sleeping bag. This way my body heat warms the tube and I can keep the heater off.
    • I also put water in the reservoir even though the humidifier is off. I figure if the air is super dry it's still going to pick up some amount of moisture from the water.
    On my last trip, someone stole my battery bank but thankfully not the converter, so I powered the CPAP off of the bike every night from that point forward. I was worried this would kill the bike battery, but fortunately the bike always started in the morning. The only hassle was that I had to have my tent very close to the bike.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  20. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Looking at the this setup and want to add that same battery, but confused on what other cords I need. I have the same CPAP and Resmed Converter, once I get this battery, I assume I need a cord to connect the Converters Cigaratte Plug into the battery such as this one correct?

What kind of cord do I use to charge the battery off the bike? I'm assuming you are using some SAE (Battery Tender Connector) to the DC Input on the PowerAdd Pilot Pro, do you have source for that cord?