Motorcycle camping with a CPap

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by digby49, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, you're right. I forgot that a cigarette lighter adapter is needed. This is the one that I bought. The PowerAdd Pilot Pro battery output port connects to a DC-to-DC cable (included with battery) with a male 5.5mm barrel connector.

Your linked adapter with 5.1mm barrel connector might work as well, but I don't know. It definitely won't connect to the 5.5mm DC-to-DC cable, but I seem to remember that the output port of the PowerAdd battery is smaller than 5.5mm (the included DC-to-DC cable has different size ends). So maybe you can direct connect to the smaller DC output port if it is 5.1mm. If you could find a measurement for the DC output port of the PowerAdd you could verify. I did a quick check for the specs and couldn't find it. I have no way to accurately measure mine.

Wow, I left out half of the solution, haha. Yes, SAE to barrel connector and then I think I used one of many barrel connector size adapters that comes with the PowerAdd battery. Give me a couple of days and I'll get you pictures and an exact list of parts.

I also "electrified" my top case on the BMW so that the PowerAdd and other devices could charge in a locked weatherproof case.
  2. Actionable Mango

Oddometer:
    (From the other thread)

Yes it will charge, but not to 100%. The PowerAdd wants minimum 15V. The bike's output is 12V (or more like 13.7V maybe). The PowerAdd will charge off of the bike, but only until the battery's voltage is high enough to match the bike's charging voltage. At that point no matter how long you charge, it will never really get above 80% or so because the bike's voltage is insufficient.

This is not a problem at all.
    The PowerAdd has a honking big capacity, so even an 80% charge is more than enough. If I start a night with approximately 80% I can run CPAP for 8 hours, charge my iPhone, and charge my SENA communicator. After all that, I will still have about 15%-20% left in the morning.

This is my own experience over two years, 6000-8000 miles, and many many nights. It is very reliable. Granted, your experience might be different because your CPAP settings might be different and your bike's charging voltage might be different.
    chasejj likes this.
  3. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I wonder if one of these Univeral 12v laptop chargers that have multiple tips and voltage would work? I see different tips between 15-20V and at various sizes (not sure which size tip the battery input uses).

I also see that Amperage is a bit higher on these laptop chargers (2amp - 5amp depending on tip) on this charger than the AC Charger Output provided with the battery (2 amp), not sure if that is an issue or not - hoping it just charges the battery faster.
  4. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    So I have the Resmed AirSense 10, no getting around lugging that around. It has the brick with 12V plug and round plug on the unit.
    I also carry the XP-10.
    How do you connect the XP-10 to the your CPAP?
    chasejj likes this.
  5. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just received and email from my cpap supply company with an ad for 12v and 24v portable batteries. They list many of the cpaps mentioned in this thread. Claim 3-4 hours 12v (source) charging time for the 12v model. Some machine need an available adapter cable. Cigarette lighter adapter and solar panel charger are available also.

Medistrom is the name of the company. Seems new to the market. I am not in anyway affiliated with the company.
  6. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmmmm, Googled it and they have them on Amazon for $339, which is high, but not too bad. I would like to know for sure how long it would take to charge from a KTM 690 cig socket....
  7. Actionable Mango

Oddometer:
    That's very nice since it avoids the large 12v to 24v DC to DC brick. If I didn't already have a working setup, I'd probably get this despite the very expensive cost.
  8. Actionable Mango

Oddometer:
    DC will pull only as much amperage as it needs, so higher amperage is fine.

Sorry, I haven't had time to set up my system to take pictures and list parts. I'll try to get to it this weekend.
  9. Actionable Mango

Oddometer:

Okay, here's the setup.

A) I run fused power from my battery, with a common "loops to SAE" cable like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Disconnect-Extension-Maintainer-Motorcycle/dp/B07CL433HQ

B) Personally, I wanted to "electrify" my top case so I could charge electronics in locked, waterproof luggage. So I drilled a big hole into my top case and added the following weatherproof "SAE Inlet". The battery-to-SAE cable connects to this and then I have SAE inside my top case. If you are just charging in your tank bag or some other soft case, you can skip this.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BOTFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a picture of the inlet from the outside of the case. There is a rubber weather cap that I've opened for the picture to show the SAE connector.
    01.JPEG

C) Inside the top case I convert SAE to barrel connector for the Poweradd Pilot Pro using one of the cables from this kit.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38WR9W

In this picture you can see (1) the inside of the "SAE Inlet", (2) the SAE-to-female-barrel connector cable from step (C), and (3) a male-to-male barrel connector cable which, if I recall correctly, came with the Poweradd Pilot Pro battery.
    03.JPEG

P.S. Adding the SAE inlet was a little bit tricky for this particular BMW top case, because it uses double wall construction and the inlet isn't deep enough to go through both walls with enough threads inside for the nut to secure it to the inner wall. So I had to drill one proper size hole in the outer wall to hold the SAE inlet, and then drill a larger hole on the inside wall big enough for the nut to pass through it and secure the SAE inlet to the outer wall. I don't know if that makes any sense, but here's a closeup:

02.JPEG

Note: After assembling all of the cables, I'd double-check the polarity with a voltmeter so you don't accidentally reverse the DC and blow up your battery bank. The barrel connector that plugs into the battery bank should have ground on the outside, and positive inside the tip. If you've installed it backwards, the kit in step (C) contains an SAE polarity reverser, or you can swap the battery terminal loops on the first cable in step (A).
  10. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. GPSAdventureTouring

GPSAdventureTouring A Lifetime of Adventure

Oddometer:
    I will be using a 2amp DC to DC charger to safely charge a 20ah deep cycle battery (7-13lbs depending on make). My Airsense 10 draws ~10ah per cozy 8hr sleep (@15cmH2O) with the humidifier and heated hose off. 5hrs of riding will top off my battery for another off grid experience in my Warbonnett Blackbird hammock tent!

https://tecmate.com/products/tm500/
  13. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the last two summers I have been using a motorcycle L ion battery. I have an Accend cpap. I is good for at least two nights without charging. I had to buy a battery adaptor thing thing fro Accend.
  14. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need a HDM Z2.... I currently travel with my home set up. I keep a DC cord with me. It runs directly from 12 volt care type plug. I have used everything from a led acid deep cell (will run for like 4 nights without a charge). A little solar charger will get you an additional night. Works well if your will be in one spot for a while. I have used a jumper box for an over night or two. much lighter. The NOCO jumper box will work and is super light. Mine is just a power hog. Once I a dedicated travel C-PAP and mask I'm sure I could get to pack pretty small! Would be nice for work travel and I could fit it in my laptop case or carry on (though I usually fly SWA and check a bag).
  15. Dirt Zero

Dirt Zero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finished the TAT in August with my Brothers, One of them uses a CPAP. On the 4 th Day the CPAP wouldn't work anymore. Too much bouncing around . He made it thru the trip with no problems. Guessing the air is better in the mountains .
  16. vainamoinen

vainamoinen Bumblebee master

Oddometer: