Motorcycle Compass

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Razorbak, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Razorbak

Razorbak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody actually tried this?

I have had problems with compasses close to metal objects such as the motorcycle. I have a Silva map compass I keep in a transparent net pocket on my tank bag, and it never reads correctly until I remove it from the vicinity of the bike.

I am not sure, but it seems to me that a handlebar compass would be no better - especially on bikes with heated grips or where other wires carrying an electric current along or inside the handlebars.

There are electronic compasses out there that work despite such interference.

FWIW,
    LCB
  3. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Looks like the one I bought from RiderWearhouse with the needle that's frozen in one postion and is now at the bottom of a cardboard box where I keep miscellaneous junk. :puke
  4. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is what I do with my Silva; I take it out of the bag. But it is nice to have something to use while riding, which is what I now use a GPS for.

I have an old Trimble aviation GPS my father gave me this summer. Not as fancy as the ones for sale now, but it gives me a bearing, has waypoints, current speed, average speed/ETA, and that is good enough for the price - free.

FWIW,
    LCB