Motorcycle cover, is there even a single one actually waterproof?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by apostis, Oct 23, 2019.

1. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm at my wit's end. I've had two motorcycle covers within the past 2 years and both were not waterproof what so ever. As in the bike is soaked top to bottom after the rain, literally as if there was no cover on it.

Are there actually any covers that really are waterproof at all?.
    Or is it all a scam?

My last one was £70 Oxford one, you'd think you're paying for quality. Instead you pay for rust, apparently.

Any ideas?
    The ones on Amazon also don't seem to be waterproof. Looking at the reviews even the best rates ones are riddled with reviews saying they're not waterproof.

It's for a klr650 with paniers so would need to be big.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I have two that are waterproof, and they are a good deal more than 70 pounds....local as fuck to Japan though
  3. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd absolutely pay a good deal of money if I could get something that actually works. But there is just absolutely nothing that seems trustworthy.
    What brand is yours? I'm actually not too far from JP.
  4. Tripped1

Oddometer:

https://www.naps-jp.com/product/1013838

They fit super tight, to the point I actually broke a Ducati handgaurd until I learned to be careful. Luckily the plastic is only 25 bucks, the LED is like 450
  5. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve also been through several covers, at one point I started believing that leaving the bike uncover would be better.. at least it dries faster, leaving less time to cause rust..

Now it’s in a garage, so don’t have to worry about covers but I share your frustration!!
  6. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Also remember condensation is a thing, doesn't matter how water proof the cover is if the bike is condensing under it its going to rust up.

....and old school trick is to leave a lightbulb lit under it.
    brgsprint, CaseyJones and kojack06 like this.
  7. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.cycleshell.com/

I found a used one for $200. I was having the same problems as you, then condensation would attack all the nooks and crannies causing weird rust everywhere. The cycle shell is very waterproof, but then I use a low wattage heat lamp and when it's really bad a fan, to keep the moisture out.
  8. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 different E-Z Touring Motorcycle Covers (http://eztouring.com) and both have been very waterproof. Following heavy rains, the water pooled on the top and the bike stayed dry.
  9. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the half cover I take on the road I spray it with water proofer prior to leaving. Works well enough. If you're talking about long term outside storage-I've got nothing.
  10. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    My parts fetcher lives outside. I don't use it in winter, so it gets covered with a cover I got from Lidl, about £12.
    We have a lot of rain through winter - when ever I uncover it, the only water is that splashed from the outside by my carelessness.
    I did add a few extra bungees though, the tapes were pretty crap with our gusty winds.
  11. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A waterproof cover will actually trap the moisture underneath and the bike will dry very slowly. You are way better off without a cover or if you need one for some other reason, it better be one that allows for air circulation.
  13. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure this one was waterproof:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-select-motorcycle-cover

But - clarify your definition of waterproof? I put it over my moto while parked outside a couple times in the rain, the bike stayed dry. The wheels got wet a bit because it didn't cover the wheels. The cover itself didn't leak.

It did not prevent condensation but it didn't leak rainwater onto the bike? Also the area beneath it was pretty open (tall bike) so it allowed some air to get in.
    Caveat - low humidity area where my bike was parked, but it was socal (rainy) winter.

Also caveat - this was a raincover only, not a security cover / lockable cover.
  14. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    any coated tarp is waterproof. Throw it over the bike, stake it out so there is massive airflow beneath and it will keep the bike and ground beneath pretty dry.

I use a GEZA cover. http://www.gezagear.com/ Will bounce light rain, dew and frost. No more. incredibly compact, it goes in a cloth fairing pouch. I mostly use it to keep sun and prying eyes off.

Edit: turns out GEZA does make a goretex cover. Waterproof and breathable. Only their top of the line fabric. Spendy. waterproof liners also available.
    HarveyM likes this.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dowco is made from the best materials logical for a MC cover. LT warranty that they deliver on too! They do have a vent on top which keeps out hard rain,etc., unless a small amount is blown in. Not enough to matter really. They are Chinese mfg now. I've used them for many years and the last one was replaced due to the windscreen flannel inside deteriorating, not the cover itself. I see zero reason to not use Dowco? I do have a cheapo dust cover for my antique bikes from ebay. It's thin polyester same as a cheap tent, etc., not for weather.
    Why would you want a heavy tarp other than living in AK or similar and no inside storage? If the ground or air is damp then that humidity will attract to cold metal of the MC under the best tarp money can buy.
    DougA likes this.
  16. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Dowco Guardian has done a good job for the past 5 years. If you use a sealed tarp you'll also seal in water that evaporated from around the bike. In the long run you'll do more damage.
  17. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't noticed problems with my Oxford cover while touring; if you're using one full time I'd first look at seam sealing it or waterproofing the cover with silicon- https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/waterproofing-tarps-tents-ect.14523/

If it's just for rain protection at home I'd go for a winter tarp for hammockers- here's a pic of the warbonnet superfly:[​IMG]

If it's for storage a lot of UK guys seem to like sheds (asguard gets mentioned) or armadillo boxes http://armadilloboxes.co.uk. It would should reduce your insurance costs.
    [​IMG]
  18. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

Given as your bike is a KLR, it's a TOUGH bike ! !

Daily rain for a uncovered KLR that is ridden daily will not cause significant problems, if you are maintaining your bike.

( I suggest you purchase a small air compressor with a small tank, attach a air gun and use it to blow dry your bike. This works much better than a towel especially in the engine area. )

Your saddle is likely to suffer the worst if the foam gets wet and does not dry .

Leaving a KLR outside in wet conditions is certainly not ideal.

But, leaving it outside in wet conditions under a tight cover is even worse IMHO.

As others have said condensation and lack of dry air flow are bigger problems than getting wet in the rain.

I would suggest you concentrate of just protecting the saddle and dash area from the rain.

Use a full cover when dry to protect the bike from the sun.

Good luck

Scott
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I use this cover and it does keep water out.
    I think I'm on my 4th or 5th one with their lifetime warranty. Had it now for 20 something years. Each warranty replacement keeps getting better with quality. No questions asked when I've sent it back each time. My current has seam seal coming off so I'll just do it again.
    Sun beat down seems to be the killer for these. Rather it be the cover vs the materials on my bike. Works for me.
    https://dowcopowersports.com/guardian-weatherall-plus-motorcycle-cover/
    kantuckid likes this.
  20. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    OP didn't state if he was looking for a travel cover or a permanent cover so many of these comments may be irrelevant.