Motorcycle cover, is there even a single one actually waterproof?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by apostis, Oct 23, 2019.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not many riders use travel covers? At least when on a tour, well, maybe a few anal types.
  2. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you get this statistic from?

What is this anal type cover you reference? I think he is looking for one for his bike, not his anus.
  3. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call me anal if you wish, but I routinely pack and use a cover when I go on an overnight motorcycle trip.
    lithodave and Themastermike like this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a statistic at all, it's a simple observation.
    if my comment is bothersome, it wasn't a personal attack just an IMO about covers. I'll never haul a cover along for mine, do as you wish. Truth is a PTW is used in the weather naked as a jay bird, thus in my small mind a cover for an overnight is redundant. Truthfully it wasn't worth either one of us commenting. Extended sitting, I obviously cover my ride as I contributed my 2 cents on what I use.
    In a sort of similar vein of thought, I often see people in wintertime FL who cover their windshield wipers overnight with swimming noodles. Those same people often cover their side mirrors so the cardinals don't use them to play birdie look/see games and those same people cover their tires overnight too. I do cover my RV trailer for storage and the tires too. Meanwhile overnights I see that as anal coverage too.
    All said of course IMO...:lol2
    I carry a cheapo HF microfiber towel to wipe down off any seat dew.
  5. DougA

DougA Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll cast another vote for the Dowco Guardian. I bought one ~ ten years ago to cover my bike when I lived in the barracks. I still use the same cover today when I travel for work & I bring the bike. The inside is a little chewed up, but the built in vent seems to work well and keeps the bike dry. They're not cheap, but I'd say they're money well spent. I took travel with a lightweight half cover for my bike. I find it's a good way to keep eyes off the bike when I park. It's my own sense that it keeps people's eyes off expensive things like tank bag, gps, etc. I also like the half cover for when I am camping. I don't have a large tent so the half cover allows my to place items such as my helmet, jacket, etc. on the bike & not in the tent.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreeing with the ones who say there is a problem with "totally waterproof". It usually won't let moisture out and a covered bike will get condensation on it in the right (common) weather conditions. That is why you are getting condensation, vapor rises and the cover will keep that vapor contained coating the bike with moisture.

Covering infrequently no problem, longer term definitely a problem. A cover that breathes would be better. That would keep dirt and junk from settling on the bike.

The best general set up is outside under a roof. Even garages will cause condensation. An acquaintance had condensation corrosion problems with his Gold Wing when stored in his garage for the winter. He had a large covered patio, found parking the bike under it during the winter he had no condensation and corrosion. The bike could stay dry.

You hit the nail on the head - store outside, but with a roof overhead. You may find you run into condensation problems with your garage, unless it is either well vented, to avoid conditions that cause condensation, or it is heated for a controlled even temp range to avoid condensation.
  7. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too long, didn't read
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah... the kids in school say that too... and end up giving incorrect answers or doing the wrong thing when they skim or don't read the problems thoroughly. Glad my surgeons who worked on my lung and neck didn't have that attitude... :D
  9. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer: