Motorcycle Crash Statistics by Make?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mslim, Sep 19, 2021.

1. mslim

mslim Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I was riding in my local area yesterday and seeing the gamut of riders from full ATGATT to tank tops and bandanas, it caused me to wonder if any organization had ever compiled crash statistics by make/1000 registrations/time held motorcycle endorsement?

It would interesting to see the correlation between the severity of the crash, the experience of the rider, the level of personal protection chosen, and the make and model of the bike.
  2. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean to say BMW riders and Harley riders.....I kid. It would be interesting to see. I am sure sport bikes and cruisers would have a higher percentage of crashes. Sportbikes because of the obvious, cruisers because you have alot of mid life crisis folks on them with very little experience, and very little gear. Also, cruisers (at least here) are by far the most prolific motorcycle on the road.
    mslim likes this.
  3. Zenster

Zenster "Mitch" Mitchell

Oddometer:
    I was doing an analysis of motorcycle crashes for a graduate course in statistics last year and the biggest hurdle was a lack of uniform data sources that contain all the relevant information needed. There are some excellent published papers out there but it seems like no overall comprehensive evaluation that covers all scenarios.
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  4. mslim

mslim Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there could be some sort of standardized addition to the various LEO investigation reports that tracked helmet, jacket, pants, footwear of victims in addition to make and model of vehicle, it would be pretty helpful. It may also help the actuaries to reward those riders with fewer injuries and fatalities rather than being lumped in with all types of motorcycle riders.
  5. mslim

mslim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you are mostly accurate there. :-) In this area as well, lots more cruisers than other types. Generally helmetless.
  6. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a pilot, we benefit from in depth accident reports. We learn so much from these accidents. Obviously, aviation has bodies such as the NTSB that work on these reports full time. I have long thought it would be interesting though if there was a simpler version of that, at least highlighting gear worn, weather conditions, time of day, type of motorcycle, probable cause... etc.
    Rockred, cnmjr123, RedEX and 3 others like this.
  7. Zenster

Zenster "Mitch" Mitchell

Oddometer:
    I’m a retired aircraft design engineer. The one thing about aviation is FAR and NTSB and the history of military, e.g., MILSPEC, documentation and rules provide ample sources of raw data. I’ve always approached riding as a pilot would (preflight check etc). I’ve also found that many of my design engineering colleagues were both pilots and motorcyclists.
    CCitis likes this.
  8. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    What I've read is that around half of all motorcycle crashes don't involve another vehicle, just the biker wiping out on his own. I imagine alcohol is a factor in a lot of those. Its a factor in a lot of vehicular accidents in general. I suspect you'd see that whatever bikes are most common, those are the ones that crash.
    RedEX likes this.
  9. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to de rail, but what kinds of airplanes did you work on?
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe its around 60% of reported incidents, so its probably higher, and excessive speed for conditions is the leading cause.
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, if there is a hidden diesel spill on a 35 MPH corner I am enjoying, even if would be at 35 MPH, excess speed would be the reason. The road condition would most often be listed as clear.

Rod
  12. Zenster

Zenster "Mitch" Mitchell

Oddometer:
    Bell 427/429, Bombardier CSeries, Airbus380, CF18, etc
    CCitis likes this.
  13. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem with crash stats is that TPTB want *one* standardized form, and moto crashes still aren't that common compared to cars, so there's no place to document things like was the rider wearing gear, etc.

I did a few years ago help out the state traffic safety person- they gave me a list of VINs and I turned them into bike make/models, but not sure anything interesting came out of it as they retired shortly after.
    Zenster and mslim like this.
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Agree; alcohol, but also target fixation and fear of transitioning to a greater more aggressive lean angle when necessary, especially when seeing pavement dirt or gravel.
  15. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riders who ride with crash bars would have the most crashes, otherwise they wouldn't need them..... Right?
  16. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's riders who ride to bars crash the most
  17. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't they crash riding from bars rather than to bars more?
  18. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    To and from...or from one to another or from the last one home

I prefer to.drink at home...
    And no less than 8 hours of no drinking before riding
    Bar None and mslim like this.
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    You may be able to get those statistics in California. Most (all?) agencies use the CHP 555 to document injury collisions. The information is entered into SWTRS - the Statewide Traffic Reporting System which is a database. The info on page 1 and 2 of the 555 is entered into that database. You can see the form here: file:///C:/Users/jonz5/Downloads/CA_CHP555_sub6_2012.pdf I don't know how an individual could query the database but I know agencies do.
  20. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer: