Motorcycle for work?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mcpenner, Jun 21, 2021.

1. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    What bike would you choose and why?
    I am interviewing for a job that would require 50 - 60,000 kms annual travel. I'd like to do as much of that travel as possible on a motorcycle. This travel will be in Alberta Canada, sometimes to fairly remote places in the far north.

Things I REQUIRE a motorcycle to have to be considered:
    - Good to great fuel range.
    - Japanese - there are NO dealerships for anything exotic in the places I will be traveling.
    - Obviously comfortable for the long haul, or easily modified to be comfortable.
    - Luggage capacity/strong sub frame - I will need to lug along proper professional work cloths (sometimes suit and tie:becca), all of my computer and video equipment (portable office), and my travel layers and normal motorcycle trip gear and equipment.

Things I would like but are not required:
    - cruise control.
    - ability to take an alternate unpaved road route when the opportunity arises.
    - Ability to handle lots of accessories (lights, heated everything, charging for computers and phones and camera's and all).
  2. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda NC750X with DCT.
  3. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Kaertner thanks for the suggestion. Please add why you would choose the NC750X?
  4. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it's amazingly good on fuel, it's Japanese, it's a Honda so top build quality and reliability, comfort is subjective and depends on weight, height, fitness etc. It can also be fitted with side cases and top box for hauling all of your gear. Depends on your budget but this will be at the lower end compared to quite a few other bikes.

[​IMG]
    Chotu, ScottieDucati, Hannda and 3 others like this.
  5. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Super Tenere, model year 2014+ comes with Cruise Control.
    strommonster, Vrode, Hannda and 5 others like this.
  6. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki VStrom, either 650 or 1050 but I’d probably choose the 650 as it’ll be cheaper to run, great fuel economy, comfort and reliability but still has a bit of character and fun.
  7. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super Tenere if you're going off pavement a lot.
    V Strom if you're not going off pavement a lot.

Yamaha Tracer or MJ09 if you're going off pavement never.
    KLR if you're going off pavement always.
  8. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    You perfectly described a '14 and up Super Tenere. Extremely reliable, subframe is heavy duty with great tie down points and many luggage options, cruise, great gas mileage, comfortable ergos, etc.

Another plus is the robust and low maintenance shaft drive, I think you'd tire of dealing with a chain doing that kind of mileage. Personally I'd eliminate anything with a chain if you plan on doing 50-60,000 km a year.

This was mine for 40k trouble free miles. Fantastic bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A clever thing Yamaha did was allow you to remove the passenger seat which reveals a large flat surface to strap items to. I went a step further and hard-mounted a pelican style case. I also hard-mounted a small case in place of the factory rack. The Tenere yawns at any load on the rear.

The only thing I would have added to my setup was heated grips and a Russell Day-Long saddle to make the perfect mile muncher.

9. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another + of the S10 is its 24K valve check intervals, although i wouldn't care about about taking a 650 V Strom to those miles without a valve check, probably even longer.
    But the S10 is a heavy mutha at 260 kilos, so i would go Wee Strom. Its cheaper, better mpg and its lighter weight is much better for carving through commute traffic.
    I traded a Wee in for an S10 and in many ways i missed the Wee. S10 then got traded in for something lighter, Tracer 900.
    mcpenner likes this.
  10. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll throw another hat for the Super Tenere.
    lithodave and mcpenner like this.
  11. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    This. Also shaft drive, with your milage, you will be adjusting chains every week and swapping them every few months. Shaft makes sense. Also anvil like reliability. I would invest in a better seat though.
    Bar None, Hannda and mcpenner like this.
  12. penguinsfan82

penguinsfan82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is great on fuel but has limited capacity. I find myself fueling up every 200 miles. Go for the Goldwing :)
    mcpenner likes this.
  13. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone so far for your suggestions. All worthy of consideration. All bikes that I was already actively looking at. So far the Yamaha ST is the top of the list. I have a question for those who suggested it. I have two 2012's available locally at prices that look reasonable to me. I know there were significant changes in 2014. I looked into it, and I can add an after market cruise control to the pre 2014's. Are there other upgrades that would make the later models worth the extra $$$ for my purposes?
  14. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its snowy & icey up there, right?

[​IMG]
  15. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    Honda Crosstourer?
  16. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    kwthom, ishmac, S391 and 3 others like this.
  17. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A key factor in my recent Africa Twin purchase was cornering ABS. Any bike I chose had to have it.
    ScottieDucati likes this.
  18. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    A Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic!
    I looked at costs for owning a motorcycle vs car when I was commuting. Once you figure in costs of protective gear, tires, maintenance, fuel you really don't save money over many of the small cars. Figure in having to own a car for very inclement weather and the bike has less of an advantage. Then, and don't think it cannot happen, how much time and money you might lose if you fall off the bike and miss work for a few months.
    If putting 30,000+ miles a year driving to and from work, especially figuring in the need to look presentable, costs would favor a small car. I owned a Ford Cmax hybrid for several years. It was absolutely cheaper to own over the time I had it for the miles driven than the DL 650 I was also riding.
    Now understand all this did NOT keep me off the bikes for commuting........
  19. m.taylor

m.taylor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What he said. Get a nice inexpensive car to put the miles on. In my experience riding in northern Alberta isn’t the most exciting thing anyway.
    Bar None and dtysdalx2 like this.
  20. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are being party poopers.
    Its all about the ride, the experience, the challenge and the fun.
    Even if it is just commuting, being on a motorcycle is 10x better than prodding along in any cage.
    ukiboy, Benjah and penguinsfan82 like this.