Motorcycle for work?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mcpenner, Jun 21, 2021.

1. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a pickup truck. Seriously, driving up north (ft mcmurray?) you just don't want to have the hassle of lugging all your work gear, getting to remote sites, dealing with all that crap when you're already working long shifts. Get a cheap truck, haul all your work related stuff, hang up your suit and tie, PPE, etc. Buy a light dualsport like a WR250R to do your exploring after you finish your work. There is lots of great riding, but not stuff you would want to do on a 580lb bike (super tenere) with another 50lb of work equipment strapped on.
    Bar None and mcpenner like this.
  2. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    pne you are not wrong! I've thought about this option and may end up there, but I love a long road trip so that's what this thread is about. In the end if up doing what you suggest I'll be asking about the best bike for that option, and I have less experience and knowledge in that arena.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  3. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had pickups for 45 years , commuted to the north . Yada Yada Yada , I have an AWD van now and carry my stuff , sleep when I'm tired and ride when I want . Moose and deer scare the hell out of me when I'm tired. :yikes
    Bar None likes this.
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The Super Tenere sounds spot on.
  5. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pne and Robotaz like this.
  6. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I just went through this thread again. Thanks everyone for your opinions, it's been helpful. The thread has been quite because I've been waiting impatiently for the outcome of my job application. Because of summer and Covid and stuff it took a while, but as it turns out I'm the last man standing. It looks like I will get the job. It still has to go before one more higher board approval but it is pretty certain I'll begin in January. At this point I expect to be on a super Tenere next summer. But who knows, maybe one of you will persuade me to look seriously at something else.
    fastring likes this.
  7. Talonboy

Talonboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Super Tenere is a great bike, I have been riding 2012 for 8 years. But in your first post you mention fuel economy/range. If that is more important than off-road, I would suggest something different to look at. A Honda ST1300. I had one prior to the Super Tenere. It is a better long distance road bike in my opinion. My Super Tenere currently goes about 170-180 miles before reserve. Reserve is good for about 40 miles I think. When my Super Tenere was new and stock, it would go about 140-150 miles before reserve. This is riding my normal speed of 80mph plus/minus. The fuel economy changes dramatically with higher speed and luggage. Pretty poor range in my opinion. There are lots of options for carrying more fuel. The wind/weather protection is decent with optional parts like bigger windscreen, winglets, etc.

For comparison the ST1300 has much bigger fuel capacity, and gets better fuel economy. For me. It is far less affected by speed and luggage, fuel economy wise. My bike seemed to get about the same fuel economy at 90mph plus, fully loaded, as it did at 70mph, without luggage. I think the ST1300 just had better aerodynamics, loaded or not loaded. My bike would easily go over 300 miles, before reserve. And Reserve was good for 60 miles plus. The ST1300 had better wind/weather protection, from head to foot.

Just wanted to give you more information for your bike choice. Both of these bikes are highly reliable, and should be able to rack up many trouble free miles.
    fastring and mcpenner like this.
  8. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the Frunk!
    mcpenner likes this.
  9. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I need to test ride the newer versions of NC. I liked it when it first came out but thought the cb500 was better as a second bike at the time.
    Hannda likes this.
  10. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I've also been thinking a lot about this option. Our realistic riding season for this type of riding is six months or less. After that it is too cold in the morning and evening to ride for work. If I was to take a dual sport on the hitch I could ride a bit no matter where I end up for a few days, even if it snows.

[​IMG]
    Bar None and Hannda like this.
  11. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    best commuter I ever had was a Ulysses, 50+ mpg all the time and the most comfortable bike in 40 years of riding heated grips, engine heat kept my legs warm and stupid easy to work on. The belt drive was the best part, I still miss a belt drive and if I ever buy another bike my next one will not have a chain.
  12. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I just was looking at a 2006 Ulysses at the local dealer. Good shape, good price, unique but I don't know enough about it.

https://www.lloydminsterhondapowers...vt=motorcycle / scooter&fr=xPreOwnedInventory
    badweatherbiker likes this.
  13. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    Go ride it you will love it, I'd be happy 2 answer any questions about it for you. I have owned 4 Buells in the past and spent time with Erik in the garage and on the track talking all things Buell
  14. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    NOW you're thinkin'.:thumb
    Bar None and badweatherbiker like this.
  16. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    Agreed, may part ways with my Vstrom and likely go this route as the riding in my area I live now is better suited for a dual sport. I should have never sold the ones I had. I will also be able to take it with me when I camp or go out of town for the weekend somewhere, win win!
    Hannda likes this.
  17. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I was going to PM youbadweatherbiker but maybe our discussion will be of interest to others so I'll ask you in the thread

1) When the Buell/Harley stuff first came out I followed the development. It was an interesting story. When the Ulysses came out I actually went into the Harley dealership to look. New bikes are not something I'm interested in but I still like the idea and look of the Ulysses from an ugly duckling something different kind of way.
    2) How is the Ulysses for two up riding. My wife is thinking about giving up the Goldwing since she much rather we take the camper to the lake than the bike on a trip. If we do sell the Goldwing I would want the bike I replace it with to be good for a long day ride two up.
    3) One of the criteria is parts availability in the relatively remote northern towns. Do Harley dealerships still support the Buell's?
    4) What is the fuel range? I need at least 300kms on a tank while highway cruising at about 110km/h.
    5) What is the weather protection like. If I'm going to ride in the cooler shoulder seasons I would need to be able to ride at least down to 5C.
    6) The Ulysses I'm looking at has no luggage. Does the aftermarket still make luggage racks for this bike?
    7) Belt drive on gravel roads? Do they mix? What happens if rocks and mud get up in the belt and pullies?
    8) I do almost all my own work on my motorcycles so I do love a bike without acers of plastic to take off. (Goldwing :baldy)
    9) What should I pay attention to if I go take a look at a Ulysses?
    10) How many miles/Kms do these bikes go before they need a engine rebuild? Would I be correct to think that a rebuild would not be too hard to do given it's basically a HD?

That's enough for now.
  18. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    These bikes were really good and anyone that spent some time on them had nothing but praise for it, I have been on alot of bike and I mean alot while testing and it was the best I ever owned and in hindsight I wish I had kept it.
    I had a 2000 M2 and loved it, I had a spare Blast and it was a decent small bike and good starter bike for someone but too small for me. I also had the 2005 City X which was outstanding and then the Police Uly which far exceeded my expectations and nothing since compares. I tested all the Buells as well and IMHO the best one of them all was the Super TT but 2 up wont happen on it. The 1125 CR was pretty good too. I never got to test an EBR but I spent time at the track watching them run and they were pretty impressive.
    Hope some of this helps feel free to ask anything else!
  19. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    DL650 but I'd also say "Get a truck", bikes even small ones get real unpleasant in cold weather and even more unpleasant on icy roads. Heavy bikes break bones.

That said I did commute most days in NZ which has only a slightly better climate than Alaska and only didn't take the bike a couple of days - and I wouldn't have made it those days in a car either. 0 grip as in slowly ride out of the driveway, end up nose in to the curb on the opposite side of the road. But that was a 12k commute, not 100's of k's/day.

Could be done and if you live you'll be a bloody good rider at the end of it but cold is really hard work on a bike as is ice.

I did do the occasional long ride in shit conditions (below 0, freezing rain & snow plus iced roads) but I had really good cold weather gear and a really light bike. (TS-185).
    No heated gear either back then. And as a comment, don't rely on the heated gear to keep you alive, if you break down, no magic heat and you could die - heated gear like grips for comfort sure but whatever you wear you need to be able to either walk out in or you need to be able to hole up and stay alive a few days worst case.
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    the part support from dealers is hit and miss. Need to check with the specific Harley Dealer. The one near my work is fantastic. They told me they stock all the consumables/higher volume stuff and can get me anything else in a couple days. On the other hand the dealer just 10 miles away or so, my son's friend really struggled to get parts for his Buell for. Talk to them and I am sure you will get a good vibe what they are all about pretty quick.