Motorcycle for work?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mcpenner, Jun 21, 2021.

1. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Hi Gone in 60, the answer is, "It depends".
    I do love the CB500x. If I go through with this move to one motorcycle I will miss it a lot. The CB500x is a great commuter. Fuel efficient, comfortable, agile and fun to ride. I do think 75 for sustained periods is pushing it. Others claim to do this every day. Keep in mind I have to tried changing sprockets as many do. The bike will easily do 75 and I often look down to see the speedo at that speed. But at that speed it really doesn't have much left. Throttle inputs don't result in much change. The motor is fine. The bike is stable. I just don't like being in traffic at those speeds because if I have to speed up to get out of a blind spot or something it happens slower than I like. If I shift down twice and rev it right out it still has some left to give and many owners are happy with that. It really depends on how busy your roads are, what you like and other variables. The bike is fine at 75, it depends on if the rider is.
    Gone in 60 likes this.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, mcpenner, that's a solid observation. I'm on L.A. and Orange County freeways. In some places, I'm splitting lanes in gridlocked traffic, so I'm not going very fast at all, but in some spots, especially on early weekend mornings you'll just about get run over trying to cross over from the car pool lane to an exit if you're not doing better than 80, and the flow of traffic is 75ish. Size-wise, it's perfect for my needs. If my CB1100 lives in front of my car in the garage, a bike like that would just fit between the back of the car and the garage door. I don't use the car that much... can't split lanes in a Ford.
  3. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    It's about the compromise you like as well. Many use the CB500x in the conditions you describe in order to have a light nimble bike on secondary back roads (paved and unsurfaced) the rest of the time. I live a very very long way form anything like the L.A. so I have never used it in those conditions.
  4. Versatek6

Versatek6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For reliability, note that Paul Peland (longhaulpaul) put 172,000 miles on his 2012 S10 in six years.
  5. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I did a Bay Area freeway commute for years, which I expect is pretty similar. I'd be more concerned about the CB500x brakes than throttle. If you're making a switch from a bike with dual 4-piston calipers to one with a single, single-sided 2-piston caliper, you may not get the braking you want on a commute bike.
  6. George Hanson

George Hanson Long timer

Oddometer:

Ural for the storage, off road ability, and most of all weather security, especially since you're in Canada. You just won't get where you're going quickly.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  7. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm... good point. But, I already have that situation with the Bonneville, which has single disks. It's just something I plan for when I'm on that bike, but not dangerous. Based on mcpenner's comments, I'm thiinking a bit bigger than the 500. I'd rather camp out in the car pool lane going with the flow of weekend morning traffic with at least a little power to spare if needed. Sounds like the 500 would be out of breath in that situation.