motorcycle GPS NO PHONE

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by JerryH, Feb 9, 2020.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make a motorcycle GPS that does not require a phone to use? I use a flip phone, and intend to continue doing so. The old Garmin Nuvi I have in my car works just fine, but won't work on a bike because you can't hear it. All I need is a GPS with an earphone. It doesn't even have to be waterproof, but it does have to be mountable on a bike. I can always remove it or put a plastic bag over it if it rains.
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    That's confusing. I don't think there are very many GPS's out there that DO require a connection to a phone.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sonny S. likes this.
  4. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my answer from an older thread-

"For me having one that gives audio directions in your helmet is really handy. That means a wired headphone jack for earbuds or a bluetooth transmitter (cheap). Only the Zumo’s seem to output directions direct to bluetooth.
    Then you’ll want something you can import routes (basecamp compatible).

Here’s the list of Nuvi’s that do both according to Garmin:

nuvi 295W

nuvi 700 and 705 series

nuvi 800 and 805 series

nuvi 5000

The second option is a smartphone- kyocera’s are pretty popular here."
  5. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is what I mean. I have a flip phone from Consumer Cellular with an unlimited talk plan only, and it is only $20 a month. I did not know that a smart phone would function as a GPS without service. I don't use a GPS a lot, but I have a few trips planned where you have to get off the freeway on an easy to miss exit. The GPS in my car tells me exactly what exit to take. But I can't hear it on a bike. As far as mounting, I use a tank bag, and could probably just Velcro a GPS or phone to the tank bag. I just need to hear it. I do not need to enter information while riding.
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I prefer to have my map/gps/phone screen in front of my eyes where I can glance at it. I can hear it over bluetooth if I want to, but I seldom want to.
    I like to see the map, not hear instructions that can be confusing.
    petertakov likes this.
  7. dkazzed

dkazzed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can subscribe to TomTom, Garmin, etc on a smartphone and it’ll work without data. The subscription gives you unlimited map updates, they went away from the free lifetime map thing. There are smartphones as cheap as $70 these days and my son has a $25 a month plan with unlimited talk and text and 500 MB of 3G data with unlimited 128kbps data after that, fast enough to run Waze or Google Maps instead if you don’t want to pay for Garmin or TomTom.
  8. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Ok, a computer guy just told me that my Garmin DriveSmart 55 is Bluetooth capable, and all I need to do is get a Bluetooth earphone, pair it with the GPS, and I will be able to hear the GPS through the earphone. Does that sound right?
  9. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you haven't tried a smart phone to use as GPS, I'd give that a try first. If someone has an old one lying around, you might get one free. Then start with Google Maps (free also), buy a $20 bluetooth receiver, a $15 pair of earbuds and 'Bob's your uncle'. I have $900 invested in a Zumo 590 w/ mount sitting in my closet. It's just way to complex to plan trips and my phone navigation has eliminated all that frustration.
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    Cheap smartphone. Kyocera has one for like $40. No contract. Load OSM via wireless connection. Done. Don't need cell service to function. Just connect to wireless every now and then.
    wilsongj likes this.
  11. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the Drivesmart can only support a bluetooth connection to a phone and not a headset. From the Garmin site any of these should be able to work:

The following devices should be compatible with most Bluetooth headsets:

• dezl 760, dezl 770, dezl 780
    • dezlCam Series
    • nuvi 765, nuvi 775, nuvi 785
    • Overlander
    • Camper/RV 785
    • zumo Series
    If you go with a Nuvi, I've had good experiences with using a 765 over the years. And they're cheap - around $30 on Ebay. Make sure you get the powered cradle if you plan on powering it from the bike - the display won't go full brightness on only USB power.
  12. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Now I'm more confused than ever. It seems all the older models are no longer supported by Garmin. I was told by someone who does this for a living that a phone has to have service to function as a GPS. My ex wife is an Uber driver. She uses her phone for a GPS, but pays close to $100 a month for service. All I want to do is connect an earphone to a GPS, either wired or wireless, so I can hear the directions. I do not need the GPS to be able to hear me. Can the 765 still be updated? Can it be powered by a 12V power port (cigarette lighter) There has got to be some way for me to hear the GPS while wearing a helmet. A simple 1/8" audio jack and $2 earphone would solve the problem, but apparently none of the newer units have that. I do not need to make or answer phone calls. I found several 765s on ebay. Will any of these work? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=garmin+nuvi+765&_sop=12

What about this one? https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/de...395lm.html?category_id=1656#checkout-comments
  13. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in most car GPS the GPS is abluetooth sync, to get directions in your helmet, you need a GPS that can act as source (i.e. TomtOm Rider 550 etc...)

but thsi is a workaround, I see:
    Randy Mcnally GPS have audio out... use a bluetooth transmitter to maek is wire free...or you can plug in a wired headset..

check this one out (I am no a fan of their UI thought, I have this unit)
    https://store.randmcnally.com/road-...and-mcnally-certified-refurbished-device.html

https://www.toptenreviews.com/navigation-gps-rand-mcnally-road-explorer-review

it has a audio out port.. you can put a cheap Bluetooth transmitter to get the directiosn on your helmet unit.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MTFR...olid=3SY6HSOXE47RH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
  14. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, AFAIK the older nuvi's are no longer supported for repair, but map updates still can be downloaded with a few caveats:
    1) You'll want to buy a unit that has a lifetime subscription already attached to it. If it doesn't have a lifetime map subscription, then your choices are limited to:
    a) Living with whatever version map is already installed on the unit.
    b) Buying a map update from Garmin (but the cost is rediculously high for one update)
    c) Installing an open-source map on it. I've never had to resort to this option, so I'm not sure what "gotcha's" there are with this approach.

2) The full US + Canada maps have grown to the point where they no longer fit in the 765's internal memory. There's a couple of workarounds for that:
    a) Download a full map to an SD card that can be placed into the 765, or
    b) just download a partial map (i.e. Western US+Canada only).

The 765 can be powered by a 12V power port with the cradle and its cable. This listing shows all the hardware you'd want:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-NUVI-765-SERIES-4-3-TOUCHSCREEN-BLUETOOTH-PORTABLE-GPS/293460197220
    Just would want to coinfirm whether it has a lifetime map subscription.

I'd say if you can't find a 765 that is known to have lifetime maps, look more into the smartphone approach before spending that much $$ on the 395. I'd also set up a Kyocera Duraforce XD (AT&T version) to use as a GPS a while ago, and can confirm it works just fine without service. It did take a bit of time to figure out which of the GPS and launcher apps worked best for my purposes though.
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    A Garmin Montana is an excellent on-bike GPS (properly water and shock proof) and the powered cradle has a headphone socket (on the cable) if you want to listen to voice instructions too. It's an old school approach to use wired earbuds [rather than bluetooth] of course, but simple and reliable.

Jx
    Patch likes this.
  16. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is so sad and annoying. A resistant misinformation that keeps popping up a decade since I personally (and I'm just a regular user) started using a smartphone for navigation without mobile network connectivity.
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:

Man they gave you a bum steer.
    I can vouch for the fact smart phones do GPS off line and with no cell service.
    It was PDXalamo and ohgood turned me on to that bit of knowledge.

My advice is ask folks you know if they have an old smart phone they'd be willing to give or loan. Put the googlemap or magic earth GPS app on it. Down load the map of your area and play around with it. Plug in a pair of ear buds and toss the phone in you pocket and ride or drive around town just to give it a try. Remember you aren't getting the full experience here, just taking a taste.

If you decide you like the concept then check out https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/ and some of the links in the thread and go from there.

It works for me so now I have two. One to navigate and one to communicate. They are both set up the same so if one gets lost or broken the other can do both talk and nav. I took the spare Nuvi and spare phone out of the emergency kit because ya cant call on a Nuvi and the phone couldn't nav. I kept the paper map though 'cause ols cool. :ricky
  18. wilsongj

wilsongj Ha, made it to Spain!

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I use an old spare smartphone, download the (OSM offline maps) app. Bingo,have a play, there are loads of free offline map apps. I really don't know how Garmin, TomTom can survive now. (I too have my gps phone and comms phone set up exactly the same so if one goes awry the otherone can be used.
  19. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By selling smartwatches and providing navigation solutions to Huawei after Google banned them. They probably have other lines of business as well, but it has been quite obvious for years that they are making zero investments in R&D as far as GPS devices are concerned. The GPS devices that both GA and TT are selling now are basically leftovers in a new(ish) wrap.
  20. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone is that ignorant, and they can make a living from it?

No, you can load maps directly on the phone and use it without service. A lot of apps use offline maps. But many apps use maps that are online, like Waze or Google, those need service. But even Google maps allows you to download portions of the country to your phone. Then even Google maps works without a cell connection. You can do the download over WiFi at home or wherever and not pay for any connection.

As for the person doing it for a living, I suggest that you RUN away.