motorcycle GPS NO PHONE

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by JerryH, Feb 9, 2020.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a LOT of people in the computer business that don't know what they are doing. And other than a Windows based PC, I know absolutely nothing about computers. I have never even tried to use a smartphone. I appreciate all the information from everyone, but have no idea what most of it even means. OSM? Never heard of it. I'm the mechanical type, never been into computers. For my trip next week I just got directions from MapQuest, printed them, highlighted the exits I need to take, and will put it in the map pocket on my tankbag. Rather than try and rig something, what I need is just something to hook up like the GPS in my car, and use, no programming necessary, other than imputing the destination. The only difference is I need to be able to hear the directions inside my helmet. It looks like getting what I really need is going to be expensive. There is a huge price difference between car units and motorcycle units. Even car units with MP3 use an FM transmitter to transmit music to a radio, rather than the cord I use to connect my portable MP3 unit to my car stereo.
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    The main difference between a Car and Motorcycle dedicated GPS (in the case of Garmin that would typically be Nuvi vs Zumo models) is the bike version/s are IPX waterproof and shock-proof, so are more resilient to weather and vibration issues you'd typically get on a bike... however, the software [and map detail] inside is pretty much the same, although car units tend to have more limited waypoint/favourites/routes memory compared to the motorcycle and more outdoors/recreation specific models. The battery life tends to be very limited in car versions too, as they are primarily designed to work from a 12v cigarette/aux socket of course.

If all you want is basic turn by turn directions in your ears for on-road riding, there is nothing to stop you using a car version - ideally in a weatherproof case or tank bag pocket, but you will probably need to invest in a bluetooth version with earphones/headset, as most don't have a headphone socket; plus wire in a suitable 12v aux socket (or a dedicated 5v USB socket) to power the device for anything more than short trips.

In that regard, that is probably where using a [old] phone would be easier, as they tend to have a headphone socket built-in - but then you will need to source and upload the maps you want if it's going to be offline/unconnected to google maps etc.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
  3. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like reading comprehension is pretty low in the nav forum. No phones still means no phones.
    Patch likes this.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    He's not going to be making a living at it for much longer if he's that ignorant about the products and how they actually work. :imaposer
    BigFatAl likes this.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You might want to brush up on some of that comprehension you're talking about there sparky. :rofl
  6. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Do I really need to copy and paste the thread title?
    Sparky.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am seriously considering the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-s. GPScity.com has them for $235, and if I understand it correctly, you can connect a Bluetooth earpiece directly to the GPS with no phone involved. Problem is, I cannot find a Bluetooth earpiece that says it is compatible with the Garmin GPS. They all seem to be made for smartphones. It's unbelievable how something that seems like it should be so simple is anything but.
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know anyone who has a Bluetooth earpiece you could try with a Garmin? The earpiece makers may have overlooked that someone would want to use it with Garmin.
  9. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you still talk with your ex, give her $30 a month, join her plan, get a used smart phone and be done. Some Bluetooth ear buds and now you have music,Audible directions and internet.
  10. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To the OP. The 396 is the first Xumo that is Bluetooth only, there is no audio of cable or jack. Bluetooth does have different profiles for phones, headset and such, and I don't know if the 396 is compatable with most earpieces. It is compatable with most motorcycle headsets like Sena and Cardo headsets, and Garmin has tested it with many.

An alternative to achieve what you asked about in your original post is to use an older Garmin, say a 395, which does have an audio out cable. Connect the cable to an inexpensive dongle (bluetooth transmitter) that has a headset profile and you should be good to go. Factory refurbed 395s are readily available.
  11. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might wanna check posts starting with "My mechanic said ...". You'll be amazed.
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most Garmin car units DONT support Bluetooth headset use, they only support Bluetooth connection to a phone.
    This can be very confusing when you look at the different models as many say they are Bluetooth capable.
  13. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use a car GPS or regular smartphone, and slip a bag over it if it rains.
    You can get helmet bluetooth headphones, pair those with the right GPS or about any smartphone. But that is pricey.

Do you really need to 'hear' the GPS.

Why not get a cheap/used car GPS or a smartphone with no plan, and run wired ear buds.
  14. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    OP said no phones, because someone "that does this for a living" said phones need cell service. They are wrong. So the OP was misinformed from the get-go. We're here to set the record straight on the misinformation. In our application, a phone, even one without a contract or SIMM card, is far, far superior than a dedicated GPS.

Maybe that clears it up for you.

So yea, OP. My setup took a bit of dicking around to finally get it right. But its perfect.

Samsung S5. Again, no contract or anything. About $150.

uClear motorcycle headphones. $40 off eBay.

RAM mount and ball. Your choice on the mount. I use one the slides up and down. Has the "teeth" on the top and bottom. Works well.

OSMand. Its free and you get, I think, five state maps. The pay version is something like $7 and you get every map in the world. I went with that.

3BRpowersports for the USB cable setup. I can stream Spotify, run OSM, and keep my phone at full brightness. Won't go below 100% battery. Another $50 or so.

So for a little over $200 you're good to go. Nice thing about the phone too, if you stop at a Dunks or something that offers free wi-fi, you can connect to it. So if you need to look something up in a bind, grab a coffee and you're all set. It also works great having a camera. I keep an entire breakdown of a DR650 on my phone. Wiring, suspension parts, specs, and part numbers are all on there. And lastly apps. There's millions of apps out there. You connect to wi-fi and you can install them. I keep Spotify on mine and stream 4000 songs. OSM is the other. There are apps for gas mileage, campgrounds, remote camping sites, and everything in between. OSM even lists hotels, food, gas, historical sites, and every thing else.

But most importantly,

A PHONE DOES NOT NEED CELL SERVICE OR CONTRACT TO OPERATE AS A GPS.
    Addapost and scootertrog like this.
  15. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Once upon a time, I too felt that hearing turn-by-turn instructions were paramount. The reason behind this was solely because I did not have a waterproof gps - that device would be kept in a tank bag and transmit to my Sena. I thought I had it figured out. Finally, after getting incorrectly re-routed so much (blindly, literally), I took the advice of the numerous folks here and purchased a used old smartphone (iPhone 4) and gave that a trial.

DAMN........ I saw the light! No camera to carry anymore. No hand-written notes. No gps unit to hardwire to the bike, or take off at the end of the day at a motel. I was already carrying a cellphone anyway - why not combine all this crap and make life easier? Had very good success and moved up to an iPhone 5s after a couple years. Everything worked great, had it in a LifeProof Nuud case, totally waterproof and trouble-free. I’d still be using that set-up, but I ran out of storage space so decided to give the Kyocera DFP kool-aid a try. The great Kyocera thread on this forum, coupled with all the helpful contributors, is a fantastic resource!

I can be as stubborn as anyone when it comes to some of this new tech. But for those that uses traditional GPS unit - you really owe it to yourself to give the smartphone a try! You can start small and just learn things in baby steps. Used, ruggedized smartphones are under $100 in great condition. You won’t need a cell plan. Or data plan. Just connect to wi-fi and start downloading navigation apps. Better apps might cost you a few dollars, big deal. Once you have downloaded an app and the required maps to go with it (if needed), you are set! Start playing with it. Best to do that in a car while someone else is driving so you can see how it works. Then get on here and ask for help. :)
  16. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Long long ago, before anyone had heard of Garmin, I had an audio only setup.
    I put a laptop in a side case. Set up a fan to keep it cooled. Attached a serial GPS receiver. Rigged up a charging system. Put a CD in the drive (pretty sure there was no such thing as a DVD yet). Plumbed hardwired earphones to the helmet. I would put in the destination, maybe it was Delorme software, not sure. And drive away listening to the instructions. I got lost a lot with that setup when the instructions were a bit to vague. Now I prefer just a moving map, with or without directions.
    scootertrog likes this.
  17. Traxx

Oddometer:
    And yet he is still stating that he does not want a phone. Why is it so hard to respect someone’s wishes?
    BygDaddee likes this.
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, the title, along with the context of the OP states that he wants a GPS that doesn't REQUIRE a smart phone, because he is happy with his flip phone.

I know some of you guys really hate learning new things, but it'll be OK. Education is supposed to be fundamental.
    Addapost likes this.
  19. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    Years ago I pulled apart a Nuvi 200 and tapped into the speaker leads.
  20. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    Best of luck OP. In typical ADV fashion, you have a douchebag to ruin it for everyone.

PM me if you have any questions.