motorcycle GPS NO PHONE

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by JerryH, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All I need is a GPS with an earphone.
    From the first post in the thread.
    Just saying, reading comprehension counts.

As far as “some of you guys really hate learning new things” I use all 3, Maps, Stand alone GPS and Phone with Map APP.
    My thing is, ya’ll like to force your shit down someone else’s throat. If they don’t want it then move along.
  2. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked this up on the POI factory website-

"From the Garmin FAQ:

The following automotive devices have a headphone jack/audio out socket for headphones or an earpiece:

Camper/RV 760
    dezl 760
    dezl 770
    nuvi 295W
    nuvi 300 series
    nuvi 600 series
    nuvi 700 series
    nuvi 705 series
    nuvi 800 series
    nuvi 805 series
    nuvi 5000 series
    StreetPilot 2820
    StreetPilot 7200
    StreetPilot 7500
    zumo 350
    zumo 390
    zumo 395
    zumo 450
    zumo 550
    zumo 590
    zumo 595
    zumo 660
    zumo 665

The headphone jack will either be located on the side of the device or on the mount and accommodates a 3.5mm size jack plug."

I've done it with the headphone jack and wired earbuds and it works. Just pick earbuds that don't stick out too much.

Or Here's what (I think) you need to bluetooth pair (from Garmin's website- slightly snipped)-

"Media Playback (A2DP)

Garmin devices with A2DP Bluetooth can pair to both a mobile phone and a headset. This allows all audio from both the Garmin device and the mobile phone to be output through the headset.

Requirements: Contact your mobile device's manufacturer to see if your mobile device has A2DP.

Devices that have A2DP:

dezlCam

Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Amazon Alexa

This device has A2DP Bluetooth but does not support pairing to a headset or a Bluetooth stereo system.

nuvi 765

nuvi 775

nuvi 785

zumo 390

zumo 395

zumo 396

zumo 590

zumo 595

zumo 660

zumo 665"

Any A2DP headset should work with them. Buy from Amazon and return if it doesn't work (I use the BT-S2 motorcycle intercom at $40 for my zumo 660)
    If you buy a ebay nuvi you linked to you get either the jack out or the Bluetooth to try.
    JMo (& piglet) and Traxx like this.
  3. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    The nuvi 295W has a 2.5mm jack and will require an adapter to use a 3.5mm headphone. I own three 295Ws.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't forcing anything down anyone's throat. I'm just sitting here laughing at the hilarity of it all.

Some people want to help fix the misinformation that keeps getting spread around. I understand it, but Jesus Christ, you guys really get worked up over this shit. Have a fucking Snickers.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Just don't give up no matter how wrong you are huh?
  6. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm not hearing the prompts for turns ("In a quarter mile, take a left.") I'll be enjoying the scenery for a few miles down the road before I realize I missed my turn.

In addition, I can relax and not worry about navigation when I know I'm going to be prompted when I need to turn. And, less stress on my rapidly diminishing cognitive abilities is - a good thing!

It's also a safety factor in that one doesn't have to take one's eyes off the road as much. FYI, I use a phone app w/ a bluetooth receiver and earbuds.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, it looks like I found my solution. A Garmin 396 LMT-s from gpscity.com for $230, and a Cardo Scala Rider Qz motorcycle bluetooth headset from Ebay for $100. Garmin confirms this unit will work. VERY expensive (twice as much as what I have in my car) but seems to be the cheapest option.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  8. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    $20 Straight talk Android phone from Walmart. $5 OSMAND+ with whatever maps you want. Works with no phone service. Uses ear phones or bluetooth. I've been using that setup on the bike and quad and car for years. Much better than any GPS I've ever used.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    If you can afford it, go for it - I'm sure you'll appreciate it every time you use it, and the cost will soon be forgotten.

Jx
  10. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  11. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin montana and 276cx are units used by many moto riders that have mounts that have a regular 1/8" audio plug that outputs turn by turn
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I think the Garmin Zumo route is your best bet.
    The Android Evangelists here want to convert everyone, but having gone down that rabbit hole myself I dont think an ornery old coot like yourself would handle it.

I have tried several apps and all require that you spend some time to "figure them out" before you even learn they may not do what you want/the way you want or just down right suck for road routing.
    Then there is the rain/wet weather, sun light visibility, glove use, mounting and powering things.

I cant say for sure, but I think @PineLaneRider is correct and a simple cheap bluetooth headphone will work.
    For $14 I would try it before spending for a Moto specific set up.

I know the Cardo will work and suggest also looking at the Sena SMH5 as another less expensive Moto specific option.
    I have had the similar SMH10 for over 10 years and prefer their simple jog dial interface.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

get the packtalk bold instead. it's so much better in every way
  14. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. Everything has already been ordered and is on the way. Expensive yes, but necessary to ride on todays roads. I'll just have to go without a few things for a while.
  15. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i love my tomom rider 550 ... best part is that it sync to the website , so I can plan my route on the big 24inch screen and it appears on the tomtom seamlessly the moment it is connected to wifi... even when it is connected to my phoen hotspot...

Also, I can search on my phone and send to tomtom :) using tomtom app...

I bought it for bike, but now use it in my car too... I like the setup..
    Traxx and flamingm0e like this.
  16. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    A PHONE DOES NOT NEED CELL SERVICE OR CONTRACT TO OPERATE AS A GPS.
    The way it was explained to me was this: The antennae in a cell phone will work for both send/receiving a signal from a cell tower, AND/OR receiving GPS signals from satellites in orbit overhead. If you don't have cell service but have an open sky, you'll receive GPS signals
  17. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a different antenna - there is a separate receiver & antenna for GPS... they aren't operating on the same frequencies nor the same modulation, etc. although GPS in cell phones is "enhanced" by cell tower communication (it does a lot to speed time to position fix) and their accuracy, particularly in difficult environments (foliage, canyons, etc.) isn't generally all that good... but for many people "good enough"...
    Traxx likes this.
  18. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    SMFH
  19. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So How am I wrong?
    250senuf likes this.
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Yeah enhanced data collection.

The most accurate signal you are going to get is GPS only. You can actually test that one.