motorcycle GPS NO PHONE

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by JerryH, Feb 9, 2020.

1. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the wiki link: "E-GPS combines CSR's "Matrix" technology with GPS – when a user initiates a location request they get a Matrix location instantly using cell tower information, accurate to within 100m."
    100m !? It would take longer but I can do way better with a map and compass. ;)
  4. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    It says the Wiki article hasn't been updated since 2010. Probably out of date.
    Graydale and 250senuf like this.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Missed that. No doubt out of date.
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    100m may be considerably better than without for first fix in a given amount of time

My point about enhanced GNSS was more directed to the statement "...Yeah enhanced data collection."

Generally speaking the greatest benefit of cellular enhanced GNSS is time to first fix which in mobile phones often suffers from the combination of poor antenna subsystems, less than ideal sky visibility (often being indoors!) although there are subscription cellular enhanced GNSS services that will get accuracies far better (10x or more) than without in the appropriate devices (not cell phones)
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I used to believe the "smartphone gps antennas are crap, they need cellular networks do agps magic or they will take forever to determine location" thing, until i turned one off and tried it myself...

an 8 year old sanding rugby pro was powered off and put into drawer to sleep for months...

dropped in a backpack and transported 300 miles east north east...

powered on in the heavy woods, without cellular service, without wifi, without sources for agps. it took about thirty seconds to acquire location info accuracy of +/ 3 meters (9 feet).

if they have such bad hardware, how are they so dannnngggg fast and accurate ?

and how can they get such fast location fixes, inside in the garage, under two floors and tall south facing trees , surrounded by cars and motorcycles n other reflective stuff ?

dang crappy phones, they need to stop doing so much stuff that they shouldn't be able to do.

garrrrrrrrr
    Addapost likes this.
  8. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of you who use phone GPS how to you get the Google map to show up in bright daylight? I have a Samsung S9+ and even with the back light turned to full I have a hard time seeing it. I can touch the screen to get full screen but its just hard to see in daylight. Maybe I'm missing something? I don't use nav a lot but like to have my phone in holder. I use an app called GPS TEST to check my speed, direction, etc. and it shows up great in the daytime. Would like to get that visibility with my phone.
  9. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i carry a towel as a portable sun shade .... drape it over my head and the GPS and the screen is crystal clear ... ZERO glare ...
  10. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    I need to be able too see the road.:1drinkSeriously I can see it when I'm stopped and can tilt phone around but not when riding. I was looking at google earth vs. google maps and it may show up better. Just want to see main road intersections while riding mainly. Will try that next time.
  11. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I woudl suggest a matt screen protector, that cuts the glare a lot ... I use it on my TomTom 550 and it has made a big difference.

you can also get some thing like this : GPS Shade

https://smile.amazon.com/322-Glare-...ld=1&keywords=gps+shade&qid=1590709331&sr=8-3
  12. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Thanks, maybe I can get one of those to work.
  13. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't use Google maps.
    There are better (IMHO) map programs that offer high contrast colors. Also, on the S9, which should have an OLED display, if you use a map color that has a black background, the phone will use less power, and run a bit cooler.
    EmmEff and flamingm0e like this.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

if it's not bright enough you may need to make a shade for it.

I'm always in the woods, so I probably have bias.

Google maps has terrible contrast between roads vs background. other applications allow for much higher contrast.

osmand
    locus
    similar apps have better contrast
  15. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Will look into these, thanks!
    ohgood likes this.