Motorcycle jeans, over-pants, adventure pants????

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kitkat, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:14 PM.

1. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a pair of pants that offer something more than my regular jeans.

The weather in my area is generally warm to hot and doesn't get much colder 60 deg.

Over-pants?
    Motorcycle jeans with kevlar?
    Adventure pants?
    Other?

I have no clue what I'm going to like so you advice is appreciated. The local motorcycle shop has only motocross clothes and that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!!
  2. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    How hot is hot? I have some overpants that had a removable outer waterproof layer+ removable insulation. I use them for 20 degrees on the highway up to 120 in the summer. When it's way hot I just wear shorts under the pants, in the winter I wear jeans under it.

If I didn't have the big temperature variations here I'd probly get something more normal looking though
    Noobie Doobie and kitkat like this.
  3. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of kevlar reinforced riding jeans. When I crashed they protected me perfectly from abrasion. However, the lack of padding ...... I've never seen bruises like that. My hip is still swollen 3 months later.
    9Realms and kitkat like this.
  4. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind are they?

I like the idea of being able to use them in wide range of temps. The hottest is usually 90, hotter than that and i probably won't be riding.

The pair I found on the web are Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0. They have pads, removable rain liner, and vents for hot weather. The sides zip all the way up like ski pants. They are very plain, in an ugly way.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...cB&kclid=ce248fd0-cbab-4ee6-ac1e-4df8a40a424e

These are just the start of my search. Other recommendations or suggestions are appreciated!
  5. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in Texas I wear Klim outriders or BMW Summer pants for the most part. If it is to cold I wear leather. But I am in heavy jeans or fire retardant coveralls and PPE all the time. So hot clothes and temps are always in my life.
    If you’re a shorts and synthetic cloth fan then the jeans will be to hot. Something with lots of vents will be better.
  6. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    Mine are the Tourmaster Flex pants. I actually really like them for summer riding, I've ran them on every kind of bike except heavy dirt. Is there a cycle gear around you? Might be worth a quick road trip to try on gear and see how the different styles look/feel on you
  7. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Revzilla has some very good guides on clothing. You can search by the level of protection you want, style or temperature ( summer, 3 season versus 4 season). I'm very happy with my Bull-it PR6 jeans and Revit Tornado textile pants which covers me spring/summer/fall on the E. coast.
  8. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    Mesh overpants are hard to beat for comfort in the summer. I have a set of Built waterproof pants that I wear all winter, but are unbearable hot over 60 degrees. The Kevlar jeans that I tried weren't really comfortable at work all day, so I mostly use overpants on my commute.
  9. rockitcity

rockitcity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your choice will depend on your riding. Are you a daily commuter? Weekend canyon carver? Adventure highway and trail riding? You can get a single pair of riding mesh pants with rain liners and insulation, but they might not be very convenient for daily commuting in all seasons.

I'm in SoCal, and I have some Olympia Airglide overpants. They work well most of the time, but for daily commuting I don't want to mess with the insulated rain liner. On cold mornings, the mesh is a bit too breezy. Sometimes I will ride to work in the morning and get caught in the rain on the way home. Guess what? I didn't bring the liner, so I get wet on the way home. Then I have to dry out the pants so I can wear them the next day. I really don't care much for the under the pants rain proofing, so I have some Frog Toggs that I can slip over my riding pants on wet days, but I have to take my boots off to do that, so I don't use them much either.

What I'm leaning toward are some single-layer rainproof insulated overpants for winter riding. First Gear HT shell and Spidi Supertorm H2Out are some I have been looking at. I want to stay warm and dry, but still be able to slip them off when I get to work without taking off my boots. These both have full length side zippers, as do my Olympia's, and I think that is a must. I can use the Airglides in the spring and summer when I want the airflow and precipitation is more predictable. So, one pair may not fit your riding needs.

Happy shopping!
    ChaoSS402 likes this.
  10. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the Klim jeans and they were very protective, kevlar lined, had pads, etc. However, they were almost as hot as "regular" riding pants and since they had all the pads etc were just as bulky. So wearing them at work, or out on the town wasn't really any better than the "regular" riding pants.
  11. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over-pants work great but make sure you get pants with leg zippers that go up enough to get out of them with out taking off your boots.
    Noobie Doobie likes this.
  12. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim outriderd are by far the the most comfortable and most normsl looking moto pants. Not the best protection, but pretty good.
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have been looking for some armored jeans too. We currently wear fleece lined jeans that are basically street clothes. We don't want to have to change into other pants, or store riding clothes at work. We want pants that look just like regular denim jeans, but with hidden armor. I realize these aren't the best available protection, but they would be a good compromise for us.

I recently looked at Rocky Mountain ATV's website, and they have a decent selection. I still need to do some research to see which brands would be best, but it's a good place to start.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...im riding pants&af=type:denim cat1:motorcycle
  14. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I use exclusively. I wear them from below freezing to above 100. I have one pair that I bought oversize. I wear them over my jeans when riding to work or when riding on really cold days.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  15. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree 100 percent that it depends on the riding.

I was going to buy those airglides but everywhere seemed to be out of stock in my size. I went with the Olympia X Moto 2 pants. A bit more money, but I'm happy with them. I thought about buying the airglides come summer time but the x moto 2 pants have huge vents, so unless they are really awkward I imagine that these should be good for summer commuting too.

I live in the same general area, more central Califiornia (south of Fresno) so I have similar weather. These pants have a waterproof liner that can go over or under the pants. They are huge, so they look a little comical wearing them over the pants, but I prefer that way because the pants don't get soaked. I keep the liner in my backpack right now so if it is raining on my way home when it was dry earlier, I can use it.

That being said, the pants themselves are relatively water resistant. In light or sporadic rain they keep me dry on my 30 minute highway commute just fine. The one time so far that I left the liner at home then had to ride home in a torrential downpour, I was wet only in the crotch, where it leaked through the zipper. For something that isn't purporting to be waterproof on it's own that's not so bad.

They have the full length zippers just like the ones you have, and I have no problems getting them on and off with my boots on. Zippers have been working pretty darn well, unlike the pair of Tourmaster pants that I tried out that could not be zipped on or off without fighting the zipper grabbing the lining for fifteen minutes. The times I've gotten the pants soaked (rode without the liner or with it under the pants they dried off very quickly once I got them home and hung them up.

So far, I'm quite happy with them. I'm wearing a Tourmaster jacket that isn't half bad, but when it goes out I'll probably replace it with the matching Olympia jacket.
  16. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've abandoned most of the riding jeans I've tried because of bad engineering, by which I mean they ride up over my boots when I'm on the bike and the armor swims around in them. Last year, though, I picked up a pair of that are awesome... cordura denim plus kevlar, and armor in the hips and knees. What makes them great is that they fit like purpose built moto pants: quite snug, with stretch panels above the knees and below the belt in the back. They're all day comfortable, and I think probably pretty protective. I think the brand was Pando. I picked them up at Beach Moto in Venice.

For very hot weather, I've had good luck with the Rev'it Ignition pants. Leather where it counts, mesh everywhere else, all the armor, and they'll zip into a jacket. They're just a little less restaurant friendly than the jeans.
  17. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one who LOLs at "Adventure pants?" :rofl

I think that needs to be a thing now.

Me: Let's go see what's in that old abandoned mine!

Friend: I dunno, man. Could be dangerous in there. I think we should obey that "keep out!" sign.

Me: C'mon, dude! Put on your Adventure Pants and let's go!

:photog
  18. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recommend mesh riding pants as main pants. Wear long undies and polyfleece pants under them in winter. Wear Frog Toggs over them to block wind or water. Be comfortable in summer heat.

I also wear armored kevlar-lined jeans or cargos sometimes.
  19. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    kitkat~
    Because you're in an unusual environment, I would suggest garments that insulate you from not only cold, but HEAT. Having garments with "vents" are ok, up to about 90F, depending upon humidity (or, lack thereof!) Beyond that, and the body can not cool via evaporation as the sweat evaps before it gets a chance to cool. Keep this in mind when you are out in those "HOT" times. Heat prostration can come on quickly, even with hydration.
    Scott Parish likes this.
  20. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    I have had a pair of the Bohn under-armor pants for a few years. I wear them under a pair of regular denim jeans sometimes and find the combination comfortable to wear and fairly unobtrusive when off the bike.