Motorcycle makers targeting new riders

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by thomas.tc.young, Sep 14, 2018.

1. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd missed that one. Thanks for the link!
  3. AwDang

AwDang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motoamerica has been doing something similar with local mini racing groups. Giving them paddock space to set up a course and let the under 12 set drag knees. It’s really cool to watch.
    Bucho likes this.
  4. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Failed to market to Gen X... and everyone after. With such a short-sighted strategy it's no wonder what's occurred. I hope we get some ideas like the above in the UK.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  5. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    With helicopter parenting and pampered/protected youths growing worse every year, it's doubtful that todays kids will get any motorcycle riding support from parents, especially those who have never ridden.

Note what is happening to youth football for example - any slight chance of injury, and it's off the list. Add widespread PED addiction to the mix, and it's going to be a very tough challenge.

Motorcycling became very popular following WWII, and continued to grow substantially as an activity until the mid '70's, and that generation carried it forward for the most part until just a few years ago, hence the continual "aging" of the average rider. Those original guys are getting older and older, and gradually heading off the the Last Ride. The manufacturers catered heavily to these guys, who also gained in income and expendable cash as they became older - also explaining the continual rise in cost for new bikes.

Now manufacturers need to reverse that trend and start all over with smaller, much more affordable bikes to attract teens and twenty somethings to the activity. It will be difficult.
    outlaws justice likes this.
  6. WindBlast

WindBlast Repoting live from Interzone

Oddometer:
    One thing I think is helping is all of the new TV commercials showing hip young adults on bikes and scooters. It starts with a cool image. The bad boy shit is lame.
    shoeb likes this.
  7. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    I have a suggestion; try "you meet the nicest people on a "……………" and a catchy little tune by a popular band that gets played often on the radio. It might work.
  8. WindBlast

WindBlast Repoting live from Interzone

Oddometer:
    Nah, that would never work.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    You're probably right, not enough "extreme" stuff and a 2 minute song is outside the attention span of most today. Oh well.
  10. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Usually starts out as kids on dirtbikes. But with the aforementioned helicopter parenting and the continual loss of offroad riding area, who knows where this is gonna go
  11. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the tough guy pirate routine is real old. I'd love to see that go away permanently. It seems as though every new rider on a cruiser wants to play Sons of Anarchy.
    Cool new cruiser. Check.
    Safety gear: vest, bandana, fingerless gloves. Check.
    Tough guy scowl. Check.
    el Pete and shoeb like this.
  12. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally. And if only we could rid ourselves of it, people would be less inclined to ride with their egos too. Less testoreone biking, less dumbass antics, less bad press. Better all round.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't think it was ever but that way. As kids of the 60's and 70's, the lament of "my parents won't let me" was sure common with regards to motorcycles. The kid who's parents let them have a dirt bike was the envy of all. My friends of the 40's and 50's all expressed hearing the same things from their parents.

Nice to see the OP's thing. I have been seeing some similar type things. Former "gnarly" clubs becoming more family friendly. One near me has even gone so far as to have kiddy days, basically. That's pretty cool.
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kid down the road ran out in front of a car on his dirt bike. He lived with lots of injury. delayed my getting a bike until after college, had to sneak rides until then.

That kid is still walking, limps a lot, had joints replaced

Rod
  15. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    VR will be the only “motorcycle” many kids see. Sit on a bike dummy that’s bolted to the motion device. Strap on your helmet, grab the bars and watch the screen as as you tilt, turn and whirl down the road soaking up the sites and sounds of it all. No ATGATT needed here. Starbucks is waiting at the end.
  16. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this currently available? Because if so, I want one!
  17. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    I’m sure one could be had for enough fun tickets. I’ve ridden on several VR rides at Disney and Universal in the past. “Ghost Rider” would be a nice addition to either of those parks. :D
    max384 likes this.
  18. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    My post was in response to the OPs Thread subject matter - "Motorcyling Programs for Youth" - see his link/attachment.

Are you suggesting that kids today are brought up exactly the same as kids were in the 1950s and 1960's? :confused
  19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh gosh no, kids are different today. Mine often and regularly laments to me about how I so don't understand, I'm too old now. I've just no understanding of todays kids. Where's the strangle Bart icon?

I'm just saying that parents, moms in particular, have almost always, universally, and historically, been averse to motorcycles for their progeny.

Motorcycle makers have pretty much always made bikes for kids. Who else is going to ride a 50cc dirt bike. Little kids and Shriners. In the semi-secretive world of dirt biking, there's always been kiddy programs for them. Where they learn to slide turns and jump puddles. And yes, I know Harley does not make kiddie bikes. Nor does BMW. It's not for every maker.

I think it's cool seeing the dealerships that risk it with the kiddie programs. Risk it as in lawsuit liability.

So yippee for kids and bikes!
  20. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    Agree. Hey, what with adult riders trying to file a lawsuit against state parks for having "bumps" in the road, I can't imagine what the liability would be for one of the kiddies who topples over while training!!

Oh... and ...

[​IMG]

a 1972!!!! :-)
    klaviator and foxtrapper like this.