Motorcycle Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CCitis, Aug 26, 2019.

1. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We riders are a misunderstood bunch. As we all know, it is impossible for a non rider to "get it". I have had countless people scold me for my choice to enjoy my life as a gear head, particularly with motorcycles. But as Keanu Reeves says "You know when I don't ride a motorcycle, I go through withdrawals. It's not good for my health." Hear, Hear.

I love my sister in law, but she hates motorcycles. She can't understand why my Wife "lets me have that thing" (my wife is great and supports my riding). She has never seen my bike, or been on one. Until Yesterday. Yesterday she comes over and asks to see my bike. I say OK. Take her out to the garage where my Triumph Sprint 900 lives. "Oh, that's not so bad I was expecting skulls and chrome... you know like a biker". She goes on to say "That looks more like a dirt bike, that's ok" :hmmmmm

LOL anyways, made me think it could be fun to hear from you what other mis-conceptions do people have about bikes, riding, and riders that we riders know just are not true? This is the place to vent, or tell those otherwise funny tales.

My Dirtbike :rofl

IMG-0337.JPG
    ex-xt, Uke, SteelJM1 and 3 others like this.
  2. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    • Loud pipes save lives
    • Bikes with loud pipes are faster
    Dellaster, joe a, racermx66 and 4 others like this.
  3. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    There are two types of motorcycles: dirt bikes and crotch rockets.
  4. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles all get great gas mileage.
    Uke, mitchapalooza, rickr84 and 5 others like this.
  5. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I can't stand my sister in law!

She wont let my brother ride his motorcycles either, so I have since bought them cheaply from him..

Oh wait... I really like my sister in law!!
  6. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about...
    Sometimes its best to "Lay er down" or it's not worth wearing gear because you will just die anyways. Or anything about helmets... they break your neck, they inhibit vision.

I have also heard I actually ride better after a drink/joint.
    Uke, Edoz, mitchapalooza and 3 others like this.
  7. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Ride better after a drink/joint. I heard that once from a student in my MSF class. BS I said. You "percieve" you are riding better because the drink/joint relaxes you enough to not over-muscle the bike due to your fears about riding, and the relaxed feeling lets you move with the natural balancing action of the bike. But, you are NOT a better rider, just more relaxed. Your same shitty riding capabilities apply sober or buzzed.
    Uke, Rick G, mitchapalooza and 10 others like this.
  8. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    That there was some artistically placed dirt on her shoulder. No bleeding at all, unless they carefully misted it away with careful application of smart water.
    jgiacobbe likes this.
  9. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    or Cruisers and Crotch Rockets
    Bucho, Knute Dunrvnyet and CCitis like this.
  10. clydeturbeaux

clydeturbeaux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a guy walk up to me outside of a gas station and compliment my Triumph Bonneville as "the quietest Harley he'd ever heard"...
    Uke, Nandoclp, Jarrett2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Upsidedowncreature

Upsidedowncreature n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm a member of a forum for Alfa Romeo owners. Somebody on there was recently asking advice about taking up riding. I said "do it!" but most of the replies were telling the OP how he would instantly die in a fiery ball of death. The best reply was from someone who had knocked his son-in-law's parked bike over by reversing into it on the driveway, this was absolute proof of the danger of bikes :muutt
  12. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had an old crotchety fool call my KTM 640Adv a "gall durn atv"
    Eyebooger and CCitis like this.
  13. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The biggest misconception of all is equating alcohol with cannabis.
  14. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why you would even engage with that sort of idiot. He wasn't trying to make a legitimate point. He's just a loudmouthed, attention-whoring dickhead. "Uhhh … yeah. We don't endorse that. On to exercise 4, shifting and stopping." There's nothing that says you have to have an answer for every idiotic comment that comes up.
    sieg and Tall Man like this.
  15. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d give him ( the stoner) the benefit of explanation because he voluntarily went to MSF to make himself better.
    Uke, Rick G, TonyKZ1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jim Moore

Oddometer:
    You're more patient than me. That being said, I'd be willing to bet he was only there to get his endorsement and didn't give a shit about making himself better.
    strommonster and CROSSBOLT like this.
  17. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Likely true, but he chose to make an effort to make himself better. He deserves the respect of an answer. Maybe logic will then prevail.
    Uke, phughes and Tall Man like this.
  18. Jim Moore

Oddometer:
    We'll disagree.
    AwDang likes this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Could be worse, he could be on "the booze".
    CowboyFatBob, Rick G and Traxx like this.
  20. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    The one that makes me see red is this idea that we, as motorcyclists, deserve the horrible injuries we may get in an accident caused by careless, distracted or aggressive drivers, simply because we made the decision to ride. An example is the people who spout off at the "look twice, save a life" type of stickers, who start ranting saying that WE should be looking for THEM, and why do we deserve special treatment because we decided to ride a "donorcycle." Then there's the people who bitch about lane splitting, saying things like "it's so dangerous, and they're cutting in line it's not fair! I hope they crash!" I saw a rider wearing a shirt in a JM thread that said "stop texting, I want to live," and my first thought was "some dipshit soccer mom is going to see that and say "you want to live? Well then you shouldn't have decided to ride that dangerous devil bike!"

It makes me irrationally angry because we're all going to die. Some of us in not very pleasant ways. And that might include a very timid person who never does anything exciting because they're terrified of the outcome. So when these fucksticks get all high and mighty that we deserve to be injured for making "such a stupid choice," I'd first like to shove their phone that they're texting on while driving up their ass, then pour their coffee they're holding while driving on their crotch, then run over them with a fucking dump truck. It's their fault for not driving a tank.
    mitchxout, Uke, DesertPilot and 22 others like this.