Motorcycle Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CCitis, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    That is exactly my argument against loud pipes as a "safety" feature. By the time someone can actually hear the sound well enough to look and determine where the sound is coming, how fast it is coming, whether its a threat or just sound, the rider is already WAY too close and the action choices are limited. Even on the streets at 35mph you cover 51 feet per second. Like you say, less than a second away the cage driver realizes you are there, and by then the rider's choices may be very limited; too close to act without using emergency responses. IF the rider has really good reaction skills there may be an out. But in my years of training "experienced" riders most often the louder the pipes the lower the skills.
    OriginalTeamchaos and CaseyJones like this.
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got it perfectly. But I see personal chafing is something you simply enjoy.
    Tall Man, k-moe and tankshooter like this.
  3. SouthernJourneyman

SouthernJourneyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to piss in your wheaties any further, but I am US born and raised, southern US if it matters, but have never in my life heard anyone refer to vacuuming as Hoovering. And most of us refer to it as a hot tub if it's outdoors, jacuzzi's are usually indoors. Though this is not always the rule and could definitely change amongst the wealthier few. Us southern folk don't exactly speak the most precise English.
    JETalmage, Turismo9999, k-moe and 4 others like this.
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hoovering is being greedy with the cocaine. At least in Baltimore in the '80s.
    CowboyFatBob, oneodd1 and mitchxout like this.
  5. ddavidv

ddavidv Dark web dangerous

Oddometer:
    My Fiat 124 was always an MG, even to people who once owned an MGB "just like yours".
    When I drove Fiats in the 1980s they were already mostly gone from the US. Few people knew what a Fiat was.
    The same is certainly true in the US for Moto Guzzi riders. Only serious cycle enthusiasts know what they are or have even heard of them thanks to the sporadic dealer network here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone confused a M-G for a H-D. Maybe the same thing is true in AU?
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    That's funny! My TR-6 was usually an MG or a Fiat.
  7. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loud pipes:

- A pedestrian might hear you coming.

- The car next to you might hear them.

- They might reduce your chances of getting rear-ended.

But they're primarily there for the rider's ego and are really obnoxious.
    ddavidv and bomose like this.
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't ya just like the sound? I'm not talking straight pipes but a nice accessory exhaust. There are some nice exhausts available that aren't nothing but noise. The world isn't black and white.
    CowboyFatBob, mitchxout and CCitis like this.
  9. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't use a car tire.

[​IMG]

:lurk

Ginger Beard, AwDang and CCitis like this.
  10. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, but be up front with it (as you are) - say straight out that you like loud exhausts. Just don't try to blow smoke up my ass telling me it's all about saving lives, though. It's not.
  11. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Me too. I like good sound, not obnoxious noise. Pipes done right, especially on a V-twin, inline triple, almost any Ducati, a properly V-four, can sound great and often are louder than stock. But most loud pipes are just that loud, blatting, farting/cracking/popping, harsh. And, the persons riding those obnoxious ride them to make the most possible noise.
    CCitis likes this.
  12. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sound is one thing. Volume is another. Nothing wrong with a nice sounding exhaust. A couple of my bikes have nice sounding exhausts (at least to me) but neither is particularly loud.
    CCitis likes this.
  13. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear ATGATT because I have a proven history of being an idiot.
    SPX, ThruTheDunes, Advntr and 3 others like this.
  14. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the person was impaired...retarded. The person TOLD him what it was, and he asks, brainlessly, if it was something else.

You don't have to be a bike buff to understand what the brand label on the machine is telling you.
  15. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Son, you missed your opportunity take her for a short, easy ride. Next time, have her wear clothing where she can don your wife's gear. Be sure to TAKE IT EASY and make it a short ride. No longer than 5-10 minutes. No freeway or speed demo's either. A quite country road that's empty is perfect. Bring her back, wanting more...
  16. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Offered the ride... No dice. My wife... She will not get on the back of the bike. No gear. And yes, a 10 minute jaunt would be good.
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I've done the thought process over and over, see a bike in the rear view mirror, listen for when it is loud enough to catch attention - usually a few feet off the back bumper. But those who want to believe will not accept the science of sound wave propagation. Much like our commander in chief, they will only believe what they repeat over and over or find to be a convenient excuse for their behavior.

Only time I've heard of Hoovering was when someone was scarfing up all the goodies, be it food or drink. It isn't unusual for some areas of the states to pick up brand names as the generic. One of the most common is asking for a Kleenex. They are asking for a tissue, but use the brand name. Kleenex has been to court on the name to avoid losing the trade mark name. Coke is another. I understand in the south a Coke is a soft drink, like "You want a Coke" and they're talking anything that is a soft drink. Lots of that happens. Sheldon recited his thing about Jacuzzis on Big Bang. All Jacuzzis are hot tubs, but not all hot tubs are Jacuzzis. Jacuzzi is a name brand that is trademarked, no matter whether some use it for reference to all hot tubs or not. Again, depends on the region of the country. Ninja took on the name for all sport bikes for a while in the 80s/90s, kid would come in and ask to see those "Ninja" bikes. In the 60s/early 70s I think non-riders would call most standard Japanese bikes Hondas. Pull up on your new Kawasaki triple and they say "nice Honda".

By the way did you ever notice everyone else has an accent but you? I never realized people from other regions felt I had an accent. Doesn't bother me, but it seemed to me we spoke rather common Americanized English without drawls, etc. Clearly I don't - to others' ears.

I like some of the Aussie terms. Took me a bit to figure out "cheers" and then learned about a "shout", while watching one of the children's shows when my daughters were young, learned about "fair dinkum". I may start using "ta", kind of like it. It's fun to blend some of those terms in with my normal speech. I now use "cheers" properly per context, usually as "thank you".

My Moto Guzzi was a "Whomakeszat".
  18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    When my youngest son went away to college, he took his Ducati Monster, which was a beautiful 'Senna' model, complete with Termi's. During his first year away he told me a story: "I pulled into a gas station and this older guy walked right up and took a long look at my bike... He only had one comment: 'That ain't no Honda...' :D
    ThruTheDunes and CCitis like this.
  19. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right.
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Never lived anywhere you can lane-split have you.

Yeah the pipers don't do a lot when be passed at speed. Its the bike/scooter that is on your quarter panel going a mph faster than you maneuvering in traffic where they are handy.....and loud scooter pipes save a couple scooter riders a week where I live, I don't know exactly where they are but I can hear them so I know to look.

As that pretains a LOT of guys commute on scooters in Asia, and yeah, the load ones are safer, because I am stuck in traffic going 15km/h for blocks at a time, and they are coming up from both sides often at or near the 40km/h speed limit (yeah all of 25mph) so you have to be damn careful about it.

There is no "I didn't see him" in Japan, ANY moving collision both parties are at fault just depends on the ratio.
    Traxx likes this.