Motorcycle Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CCitis, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I have heard it, from my Grandmother.....which means its pretty archaic.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm old.
    mikegc likes this.
  3. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I agree, I could have just moved on and not even acknowledge his "rationale". One other time, a true biker type in class (wanted to called "Hippie" not his given name), long hair, big long black beard, forced deep voice, forced swagger walk, proclaimed he had to drink for his "job" at the local strip clubs. I said "get a different job" and moved on. He was taking the MSF BRC class for points reduction, actually rode ok.

But years later he proved natural selection of the fittest still applies. I saw his name in a local paper as a motorcycle crash report with a fatality (him) as a result of drinking and riding. Dumb ass, no sympathy for him.
  4. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed.

Those who where gear all the time also likely understand that an accident isn't necessarily fatal. As mentioned in this thread, I've also heard the argument "I'd rather be comfortable because if I go down, I'm dead anyway."

Most of us have been down at one point or another, and many of us are fortunately still here to type a response.
  5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. “Running the sweeper” was more common, but some said “hoovering”.

Know the term bogarting, can’t say I ever heard of it being called hoovering.
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The '80s did end 30 years ago.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    "Don't hoo-ver that joint, my friend"
  8. Owen Snell

Owen Snell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A guy serving in a shop recently called me a 'daredevil' because I had my helmet on my arm and was therefore involved in a dangerous activity.
    CCitis likes this.
  9. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    There's always exceptions that prove the rule. The guy who was "thrown clear" and survived a car crash. The guy who heard the pick-em-up behind him, because his hearing wasn't impaired by any helmet, and "just had to lay 'er down" - and did fine, because he tucked and rolled, just like they taught him in Army jump school.

The exceptions, if true, prove the rule. If you have to depend on being a public nuisance to be safe, it's time to park it and get on the bus.
    mikegc likes this.
  10. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Exception my ass. Just because you guys have a health dose of get off my lawn, doesn't mean that being heard isn't another tool.

There are only five senses, they may see you, they may hear you, you would likely prefer they don't smell you.....you better hope they don't touch or taste you.
    Traxx and Caesars_ghost like this.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I thought that was a fishing lure...

[​IMG]

:lol3
    Owen Snell likes this.
  12. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

I've had any number of people notice my helmet, armored jacket, and other accoutrements of the two-wheeled life, and brightly ask "Oh, did you ride today?"

"Nah, I'm just a really bad driver."

This seriously happens a LOT, even with people who know me well and would know it's unusual to see me arrive in a car. I think it happens to most riders, too. There's some nearly unavoidable script that gets triggered by the sight of a helmet. They usually know it's a dumb question the second they say it, but they just can't help it.

Another misperception that's extremely common and a little sad is when a server in a restaurant notices that we've arrived via motorbike. They then automatically assume we're going to want pitchers of crappy beer. Uh, no, we're not THAT sort...

This one's kinda fun too: the scene is a random diner or gas station in the Indiana hills maybe 100 miles south of Indianapolis.

"Where ya from?"
    "Indianapolis."
    "Alllllllllll the way from Indy, huh? Where ya stayin'?"
    "Uh.... Indianapolis."
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Kinda like "So you decided to show up today?" or "Oh, you're here."
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I simply consider not being ATGATT a compromise I make as an informed decision. Separate from that, I consider myself a safer than average rider because of my conservative riding style, and situational awareness of someone who gets to practice their roadcraft 8 to 10 hours a day.
  15. mr72

mr72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of NATGNATT. Mostly I don't do the moto-specific pants (ever) because they are basically not usable as casual clothing and I'm not going to change my pants every time I get anywhere, and ditto that moto boots, but that's mostly because I have foot problems and can't get casual-looking moto boots that are comfortable enough for me to walk in. So I take those risks knowing what they are.

But I have to admit, if I'm riding an entire trip <30mph inside the neighborhood and it's over 95F, I might leave the jacket at home.

I think the misconception is that somehow you are in near-complete control of your safety though. No matter your situational awareness, experience, etc., someone else can hit you, a deer can run out in front of you, you can have an equipment failure that leads to a crash, lots of things. I wear a FF helmet ALWAYS because ALWAYS there is a non-zero chance of a crash.
    Traxx and Big John Sny like this.
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    My point was basically that not being ATGATT doesn't necessarily mean one is a risk taker by nature, or in denial of the risks associated with their choice.
    bomose, Malamute, mr72 and 2 others like this.
  17. OriginalTeamchaos

OriginalTeamchaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decades ago I rode without a helmet or protection of any kind down in Texas and I rode aggressively, often splitting lanes and always pushing the limits of my machine. I can't do that anymore, I'm no longer young and invincible. ATGATT? More like most of the gear most of the time. I always wear a helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots. I don't always wear my riding pants when riding around town. On any ride out of town I'm wearing all the gear.

Last weekend I was on a group ride, riding in the front of the group. We hit a 25MPH corner with some fine gravel covering the entire lane. I slowed and drove straight through the gravel with no issue, one of the riders behind me wasn't so lucky and went down. His bike had a few scratches, but his arm had some major road rash. We stopped and cleaned and covered his wounds with supplies from one rider's med kit. The rider was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Had he been wearing any type of riding jacket, it would have been a non event. We still would have had to drag his bike out of the ditch, but no medical supplies would have been required.

If you ride, you will eventually go down. What's optional is the extent of your injuries.
    Tall Man, TonyKZ1 and Traxx like this.
  18. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    If I go down again I want it to be a FINAL down. End of story, no repeat, no reset, game over.
  19. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a misconception?
  20. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is just dumb. Sorry. The original point of the thread is motorcycle misconceptions. Maybe what you meant was, if you're alive, you'll eventually be dead.
    hound dogger likes this.