Motorcycle Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CCitis, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfectly true. An animal may run out, your bike could have some sudden catastrophic mechanical failure. A tree might fall as you pass.
    But you can train yourself, advance your skills and stack the deck in your favour as much as possible.
    CCitis likes this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Certainly refrain from calling all crashes “accidents” as most are not.
  3. Jabcon2

Jabcon2 Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of my crashes have been accidents, I didn't mean for any of them to happen.
    anotherguy and Traxx like this.
  4. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You think most crashes are deliberate? If someone didn't intend for it to happen it's an accident.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I'd use a different definition - If it occurred as a result of random chance, it's an accident. A crash that occurs as a result of inattention, incompetence, avoidable/predictable mechanical failure, etc., did not occur by "accident". Of course that doesn't mean it was deliberate.
  6. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    If it happened by chance, circumstances out of your control, that's what they call an act of God. If you screw up, it's an accident.
  7. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This accident , crash argument is stupid, you guys are making it up as you go. Most of the time a crash IS an accident
    PlainClothesHippy and Traxx like this.
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    No one outside of a Hollywood stuntman gets on a motorcycle intending to lose control. Saying otherwise certainly fits the thread title.
    strommonster likes this.
  9. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actual parking lot conversation:

"What kind of bike is that?"

"It's a KTM."

[In an exasperated tone] "Yeah, I see that. But who makes it?"

JET
    bomose and Traxx like this.
  10. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually have at least six. Balance is one most motorcyclists are somewhat familiar with.

Although I do wonder sometimes about many of the tough-guy Halloween dress-up pirate types who "paddle" their bikes 20 yards or so prior to every stop. ;-)

JET
  11. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple overheard discussing my 1290 Superduke when it was parked up at a cafe:

"I like that."

"Yes but I wouldn't have had it in orange."
  12. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you're saying that in the figurative sense of an "attitude" to have when riding. I'm sure many of us have similar "note to self" mental reminders to keep alert. My personal equivalent is "I won't let it happen to me on this ride."

But if your meaning is anything more literal than that, sorry, but it is squarely within what I meant when I said earlier in this thread that some of the worst motorcycling misconceptions are in the minds of motorcyclists.

There is an apparently widespread self-delusion among many motorcyclists that their "skill" can save them from any and all danger. It's the very same "superman" myth that cage drivers cite as "ability to multitask" in defense of their irresponsible behaviors, the currently most prominent incarnation being cell phone use.

Whether on a motorcycle or in a car, no matter how "skilled" or how "aware" you think you are, you're not superhuman. Your focus is not omnipresent, your senses are not omniscient, and your reflexes are not omnipotent. They are actually quite poor compared to even dumb animals who don't operate at anything approaching vehicle speeds.

It was not "my fault 1st" that my 1st and so-far only serious injury while riding a motorcycle occurred in my 46th year of riding, when a trailer spare wheel assembly quite literally "came out of the sky" (love that song) knocking me down on a busy Interstate at 65 MPH. No, that was entirely the fault of the "superman" who "knew" he had secured the wheel on his trailer before rushing off on his July 4th weekend trip to Florida.

I'm mighty glad I was wearing a prudent amount of gear. It was not its makers' fault that it didn't prevent a broken collar bone, ten broken ribs, and a 40% collapsed left lung. It still almost certainly saved my life.

We all commit measured risks every day just by living. But being fully confident that your situational awareness and riding experience will avoid "its ever happening to you" is foolhardy denial of reality.

JET
  13. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Semantics, I guess! I just don't like the terminology as it implies the rider had no chance of avoiding the random "accident" when in many cases, they could have done if they were riding better (i.e. it wasn't entirely accidental.) As correctly pointed out, nobody deliberately goes out and crashes but many people willfully or ignorantly fail to follow good riding practice and that is most definitely NOT accidental.

Note, this is not me saying I am somehow a better rider as I have certainly experienced crashes that I don't believe were random chance but that I contributed to or caused. Others probably could have avoided them - and not just by being luckier than me.

If I fall off and skin my palms, was it an "accident" that I chose not to wear gloves? Similarly, if I crash on ice was that an "accident" or should I have been more careful to look for and avoid the shady patch or even just not ridden, knowing that ice was a possibility?
  14. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    As to the OP: I was in Urgent Care on Monday morning after a little riding "incident" on Sunday afternoon. I'm wearing khakis and a button-up shirt; typical biz casual stuff. The doc enters the examination room, looks me up and down, and says "YOU ride motorcycles?" "Only for 30 years." "I NEVER would've guessed!" :^)

As for "crash" v. "accident": I work in a personal injury law firm, and we work for both sides. When we represent someone who was injured by someone else in a motor vehicle incident, we refer to it as a crash. When we are defending someone who is accused of injuring someone else, we refer to the incident as an accident. :^)
    CCitis likes this.
  15. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    You forgot those of us who have crashed and still CHOOSE to wear shorts and a t shirt on the street.

I don’t know....my race bikes are pure torture after 30min. But they’ve never been seen at a bar.
  16. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had that happen. I just tell them KTM means Kawasaki Touring Machine.:lol3
    ThruTheDunes, CCitis and strommonster like this.
  17. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki never made anything so ugly.
  18. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    You've never seen a KLR?

:hide
  19. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    HEY! I've had both.:lol3
  20. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    You have a point, but I'll stand by the idea that no one does ugly quite like KTM.
    foxtrapper and AwDang like this.