Motorcycle Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CCitis, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter what KTMs look like because the only view riders of lesser bikes get of them is the back end disappearing into the distance.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Thats funny....I only ever see them at the dealers service entrance :)
    ddavidv, Jim Moore, CCitis and 2 others like this.
  3. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd ride fast too, if I risked being seen on one of those.
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    No it does not. Its a matter of attitude about riding and risk control. I have said many times, "no accidents only crashes". But that does NOT in any way infer a highly skilled rider cannot or never will crash. However a high percentage of "accidents" are actually avoidable by the rider, by what the rider prepares for, by what the rider does/doesn't do before the crash event. Some true accidents do happen, like a large tree branch suddenly breaking off and falling on a passing bike (happened to a fellow MSF instructor), or other similar issues of nature. But yet, many riders just consider all crashes the same, even the less likely instances of motorcycle crashes, and lump them in the same group as a the common, daily, well known/well documented crashes. Many riders go with the attitude "there was nothing I could do." That statement is true, in the context of the crash event. A rider must be highly skilled to escape a crash when it is already happening. But the attitude of what a rider does BEFORE the event is what counts for survival. To not do this misses the major point that the common, daily well known and documented crashes as actually avoidable in most cases.

In my 45+ years/300,000+ miles of riding I have crashed my bikes four times. Each time was on my own, and largely my own fault each time.
  5. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Can you describe each of these for us so we can learn from them, and understand how they are a crash or an accident. By your post you infer that a crash is a result of something only you did, like loosing control in a curve, loosing traction in slippery conditions. So then an "accident" is the result of actions someone else did that resulted in your issue? But not a crash? Hitting a deer crossing the road may be an accident more so than a crash (although many factors lead to a deer/bike crash). Is a car turning left into a cycle only an accident and not a crash (as if the rider had absolutely NO involvement in the results)?

By saying all your issues are only accidents seems you are missing the point. That you didn't mean them to happen does not change the description one bit. NONE of us want a crash/accident to happen. But what the rider does or does not do has HUGE impact on avoiding the crash altogether or greatly reducing the results of the crash. To not ride with that attitude means the rider is doomed to suffer whatever happens on the road. Riding with this attitude has served me very well in 45+ years of riding, its largely determines my survivability.
    tlub likes this.
  6. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Earlier someone posted that most cycle crashes are single vehicle events. Not true. MOST crashes are multiple vehicle crashes (like a car turning left into a bike). The stats can be found here: https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/motorcycles-and-atvs

There is a chart on that web address that shows from 1975 to 2017, 40% of cycle crashes are single vehicle events. If we could have all the data for all those crashes over that time I'd bet that a high number of them were simply rider error or incapability. So how are most of those not accidents but instead are crashes?
  7. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    And an unfortunate percentage of those were alcohol related.

Maybe the source of another misconception: "A few drinks won't kill me".
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    The statistic I use is that roughly half of all motorcycle crashes are single-vehicle. (40% is close enough to half for such a broad generalization.) I would suggest that single-vehicle crashes are under-reported (possibly significantly so) but this still leaves them in the region of roughly half. It might also be reasonable to assume that at least half of all multi-vehicle crashes are predominantly the motorcyclists fault. Leaving approximately 1/4 of motorcycle crashes caused by another road user.

If an individual rider can avoid directly CAUSING a crash, they can therefore reduce their likelihood of being on the wrong side of those statistics by 3/4. If the same rider can then anticipate and avoid a reasonable proportion of the remaining 1/4 they can be very much safer. The proportion of truly unavoidable “act of God” type crashes are the only ones deserving of the term “Accident” in my opinion.
  9. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fail to understand what damn difference it makes . You guys would argue about anything, a crash is an accident unless you intended to crash. I suspect that's pretty rare.
  10. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Misconception: that a thread on ADV will actually remain about what the topic says.
  11. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding in the rain has already been mentioned but my experience-

Patients will see my bike parked next to the office and if it's raining ask me how I'm getting home.

Or on a cold morning (like today 38F), a couple folks would just have to say "a bit chilly on your ride this morning"? Sometimes I counter by asking "do you shovel snow in your bathing suit"? :lol3
    strommonster, TonyKZ1 and mikegc like this.
  12. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    imply/ infer
    Imply
    and infer are opposites, like a throw and a catch. To imply is to hint at something, but to infer is to make an educated guess. The speaker does the implying, and the listener does the inferring.
    Tall Man likes this.
  13. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Yep, this started out as a fun thread for stories about stupid people, and a persnickety passel of pompous pontificating poops turned it into, well, this.

Can't find the "jagoff" stroker smilie, so maybe this will suffice: :asshat
    Traxx likes this.
  14. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    A bad perception in that a motorcycle can corner faster than a car.

It depends on the rider and the car. Generally a good car corners faster than a good bike but the bike out accelerates the car.
    anotherguy likes this.
  15. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That a ADV bike needs to have 14” of suspension, 300BHP, and be under 312.56lbs, with at least 200liters of luggage storage.
  16. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The statistics you use. Can you state your source? Are they precise and accurate and correct?

Your Opinion doesn’t matter. Merriam-Webster says.

accident

1a: an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance Their meeting was an accident.
    b: lack of intention or necessity : CHANCEThey met by accident rather than by design.
    2a: an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance was involved in a traffic accident
    bmedical : an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious a cerebrovascular accident
    claw : an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought
    dUS, informal —used euphemistically to refer to an uncontrolled or involuntary act or instance of urination or defecation (as by a baby or a pet)The puppy had an accident on the rug.
    3: a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance
  17. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that such a bike is the ONLY type of bike that can be ridden off pavement.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. Knapper-UK

Oddometer:
    What was this thread about again...?
    Traxx likes this.
  19. Knapper-UK

Oddometer:
  20. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Oh FFS... Someone just quoted 40%, with citation. That's ROUGHLY half in my book - I didn't make a claim to be any more precise or accurate than that. Depending on which year you look at NHTSA stats consistently show ABOUT half. Hurt also came to the same conclusion. I explained why the actuality is probably tilted more toward single vehicle crashes because they are under-reported.

Also, I never challenged the DEFINITION of the word "accident" I merely stated that I don't like to use the term because it implies the person(s) involved were not able to affect the outcome. "Crash" is a perfectly good word to use, more directly descriptive of most traffic incidents, and removes the above (usually incorrect) implication.
    Traxx likes this.