Motorcycle Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CCitis, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’re right FFS. If you’re going to put something out there as fact, then state your source. To many like to make up their own stats on the fly. Andy has the right idea and can back up his figures.
    Yes you did challenge the definition. Do I really need to go back and quote it?
  2. Traxx

Oddometer:
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're not ugly, they're homely. Ugly stands out. :D

Well, unless the rider on the lesser bike is up against a lesser lesser rider on a KTM. I saw a guy on a clapped out XR600R with a 21" street tire and a worn out Dunlop 591 Sport Elite dust some guy on a new KTM Supermoto at a NASmoto race some years back. I mean smoked the guy. That rider had that XR doing things it was never supposed to do! Impressive.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guy on the KTM must have stolen it. I hope he was apprehended and executed.
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Someone else posted the stats with a source, just before me, why would I need to either state my source or make anything up?

BTW, in the NHTSA crash stats you shared, the figure for single vehicle incidents is 45% - That's still about half.

I said "I use a different definition (of the word 'Accident')". ...i.e my definition is different. I can see how that comes across as challenging the accepted definition though
  6. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Common misconception is that all Harleys are loud.
    Another is that you have to dress like a Pirate to ride a Harley and a Astronaut to ride a BMW.
    If you wear your BMW gear on a Harley does that make you a Space Pirate?
    I can hear the I-4s 2 miles away on the interstate in my house, but no Harleys. Go figure.
    Glenn247 and HuntWhenever like this.
  7. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy It'll Shine When it Shines

Oddometer:
    The judge sentenced him to time served on the KTM...

:hide
    ChaoSS402, HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  8. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The interstate has bends on it?
    gjo and Traxx like this.
  9. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Strait as an arrow.
  10. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a common misconception that enough Harleys aren't loud that it bears mentioning that all Harleys aren't loud.

Also sound carries differently...nothing to do w which things are louder or softer. I recently moved from a house that was about 1 mile off the freeway, and depending on temp and humidity some nights it was like we lived deep in teh wilderness and could hear almost nothing, and other nights it was as if we lived directly adjacent to the fast lane. Go figure :)
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Traxx

Oddometer:
    That’s like saying all Harleys are Big Twins, or all Harleys are $45K. That is so far from the truth its laughable. The Sportster has been the bread and butter for Harley for well over a decade. Cheap, smallish and around here at least to be had on the used market unmolested (stock exhaust) therefore quiet. Priced at around the $10-12K mark new a good deal.

Depending on the conditions I can hear Texas Motor Speedway over 10 miles away as the crow flies. When I go to El Ranchito then I hear mostly open exhaust diesels. Granted I have cleared most of the Mesquite between the quarters and the road, but a quarter mile from the road should help. I really got to get off my ass and plant something out there.
  12. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Lighten up Francis.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read your post more carefully. In the 2.5 years I worked in a HD dealer parts department, the single accessory I sold more of than anything else by a massive margin, was loud Sportster shotgun pipes. I never counted, but I'd say less than 15% of Sportsters have the stock exhaust. I'm thinking of all the folks I know who have Sportsters, and I can think of a total of 7 bikes (5 people). None of them have stock pipes. Neither of the ones I owned had stock pipes. I am currently shopping for an XR1200 and when I find one, you can count on it not having stock pipes for long.

Touring models? Sure. Sportsters? Please.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess you had to be there, he beat everyone in the class, not just that one KTM. Sometimes when there is some dirt, a jump and some curves the slower bike with the better rider may just win. No idea how the suspension was set up, but obviously it had to be pretty good.

I know it's kind of hard for the orange men to take it, but it happened.
  14. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I didn’t mean to say anything out of the way. I can only go with what I see. I do understand that not all areas are like my own.

So what price are you looking for on the XR1200. I think that I have seen a couple for sale in the N Tejas and S OK area.
  15. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    There are enough local-ish not to go far afield, but I appreciate it.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    No, he wrote "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". :lol3
  17. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    This could be the stupidest group of comments in one post I have ever read on this site.
  18. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I tend to agree more with the way aviation 'incidents' are analyzed. Whether it's pilot error, or mechanical failure, very often it's the result of something that could have been avoided. If it could be avoided, it's not an accident. It's a crash.
    Not flying into or continuing into bad weather, not knowing yours or your aircraft's limitations, not using proper crosswind technique, fuel management, etc. All these are avoidable. There are similar causes with motorcycles, and I suspect the equivalent of flying into bad weather is riding faster than your braking distance allows. Your cornering limits aren't usually dictated by tire adhesion or your cornering skills. They're often dictated by how far you can see ahead and avoid. Many don't get this.
    oneodd1 likes this.
  19. Traxx

Oddometer:
    accident

1a: an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance Their meeting was an accident.
    b: lack of intention or necessity : CHANCEThey met by accident rather than by design.
    2a: an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance was involved in a traffic accident
    bmedical : an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious a cerebrovascular accident
    claw : an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought
    dUS, informal —used euphemistically to refer to an uncontrolled or involuntary act or instance of urination or defecation (as by a baby or a pet)The puppy had an accident on the rug.
    3: a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance
    ChaoSS402 likes this.
  20. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry but you guys are trying to redefine a word just so that you can be pedantic about your incorrect definition.

Give it a rest already.