Motorcycle Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CCitis, Aug 26, 2019.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Yeah so is the copper (now mostly zinc) in a penny. The way the fuel jumps in a well coordinated fashion among the gas stations over a range of fifty to eighty cents overnight and then drop down again, plus here in Ohio where they just tacked on an eleven cent gas tax, but the actual price of gas didn't really change, proves they've got a good margin to dick with. They are quite opportunistic in the pricing. Little else I've ever seen has the volatility in the pricing as gas does and I just don't see the relationship to anything that makes it justifiable other than "we got it and you need it, let's play pricing russian roulette". I'm betting they can easily predict their operating and material costs on at least a six month basis, they just play the game to gouge when they can, even if it's just small scratching type gouging.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I went to the Top-O-The-Rockes rally in July. It's a local BMW club event but prob 1/3 of the bikes weren't BMW's. I didn't come across a single person with any brand-snobbiness. Maybe it was just the venue although my previous experience has not indicated any bias amongst BMW owners either. I'm told there is some of that in UK. I haven't noticed it myself but then I ride an old R80RT over there.
  3. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    My KTM gets through two rear tires to one OIL CHANGE!!!!!!!
  4. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good lord what are you packing on that bike??
  5. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I'm packing 106 ft-lb of torque :lol3

On my way to and around Alaska, I got through three rear tires in 12,300 miles although one of them was changed with maybe 1/3 life remaining. KTM specs 9000-mile oil changes and it's always been done at slightly less than that. If you pick your data, I did manage 7500 miles from one tire and once changed oil at only 7000 miles but the average over 30,000 miles has been a little over 1.6 rear tires per oil change.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife long ago stopped thinking it was weird that a new tire shows up on our front porch every 2 weeks or so
    AwDang and RVFlyer like this.
  7. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh a motorcycle, you are going to/are getting so many girls......

If I was gay it would work out better for me as guys always talk to me about my bike but no women has yet. Good thing that was never a reason I rode motorcycles.
  8. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    I wonder if the rider of the BMW that I’ve seen at OMPH in Ephrata is an inmate here?
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A clue.......you live in Idaho.
  10. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a grumpy old man on vintage BMW call by sweet BMW F800 GS a chick bike.... “yea, a lot of girls are getting those bikes”
    :bash
    He was probably just f’ng w me.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow...so many misconceptions, from within and without.

One of my all-time favorites is the misconception that [insert_any_street_tire_here] is awful, slips around, has terrible traction, etc. There hasn't been a mainstream streetbike tire made since the early 90's that wasn't perfectly fine and up to whatever 99.99975% of riders are subjecting it to. It is completely reasonable that the -feel- of a particular tire isn't to one's liking, and it is also possible that certain tires aren't as neutral handling as others on a particular model. But, look at any thread that starts with 'hey I'm thinking of buying a set of [insert_currently_available_street_tires] and I was wondering what folks thought?' You will find some people in there who insist that those tires are awful, and when they tried them, they slid all over the place, had terrible traction, etc.

Complete fantasy. Every single time.
    CROSSBOLT, Edoz, otto and 4 others like this.
  12. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what location does that work?
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't tell ya then everyone will know.
  14. Dayypete

Dayypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hilarious. Where do some of these soap box experts come from as to what everyone else should do? Well, it's opinions. All Ah's have them.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    ...on that DL650.
    :imaposer
    Rollin' likes this.
  16. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    HA!! I haven't enjoyed the coffee or donut perks, but I swear it's happened more than once; I'm on my silver/grey BMW R1200RT, wearing my silver/grey Olympia cargo jacket and black jeans, white FF helmet, and a car driving ahead of me pulls over to let me pass. I never follow too close, don't hound traffic, yet they slow and move over. Well, I'm not one to pass on a free pass misconception. Thank you!
  17. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Yeah, okay.

Let me get this straight.

Point One:

OPEN PIPES SAVE LIVES​

Point Two:

SAYING HARLEY RIDERS ALL HAVE OPEN PIPES, IS A STUPID IDIOT'S MISCONCEPTION​

You kinda need some consistency in defending the Cosplay Pirates, as they roll their deafening racket across the parking-lot-unloading zones of America, to the McDonalds in whatever town was chosen.
  18. ddavidv

ddavidv Dark web dangerous

Oddometer:
    "Your Bonneville isn't a real Triumph because it was assembled in Thailand"

First, it wasn't assembled in Thailand. Mine was built before that happened.
    Second, IDGAF if it were bolted together there. All the minds that designed and engineered it are in the UK.
    If it were truly an Asian motorcycle I could tell as it would be as dull and soul-less as every other Asian motorcycle I've ridden.

In addition:
    "Triumphs aren't reliable"
    Usually based on some grandfather's opinion of a neighbor's bike from back in the 1950s.
    AwDang likes this.
  19. flashbang

flashbang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He had on all that fancy riding gear but couldn't ride any better than us.
    AwDang likes this.
  20. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ATGATT doesn't make you a safer rider, the opposite is possible. It makes you a safer crasher. Loud pipes may very well save your life, so will a very loud horn. If roadcrafter suits cost half as much half the BMW guys wouldn't buy them. The BMW guys that don't have one would get one so it would be ok for aerostitch. Hell, if they cost half as much I'd get one and I ride a Harley. I guess you can be a pirate with a stitch on, I'll let casey jones answer that one. Apparently he's the expert on Harley riders
    CowboyFatBob, Traxx and AwDang like this.